Should the World Trade Centers be Rebuilt?

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The current sentiment seems to be that the New York skyline will be made whole again. I can't say that I disagree with that feeling.

miss whitney

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think they should rebuild but not high rise buildings. Some kind of buildings that would be easier to evacuate, built to withstand most natural disasters but still be attractive to the city. I think a memorial should be built but not where they died. Somewhere where it would be considered safer and in a place easy for visitors to come pay tribute.

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've hit the nail on the head, with the best idea of "compromise" (in the finest sense of the word) I've heard. My objection to rebuilding is based upon the well-known dangers inherent in skyscrapers. Your suggestion of rebuilding, but with more modest structures, is spot on.

My mother lived in a high-rise retirement home; and one day I was awakened by my housemate with the news that a fire had occurred at that building, resulting in fatalities. Thankfully, deadly products of combustion were confined to one storey of the building — and my mother (along with nearly all residents) was safe. To the everlasting credit of the building's management, no fire-safety violations were discovered: all fire exits were easily accessible, built-in firefighting systems worked perfectly, firefighters had ready access to all parts of the building, et cetera. (The fatalities were confined to the one apartment which had burned and were caused by smoke inhalation.)

Of course, a vertically-gigantic building is another matter; and issuance of building permits for such structures is, in my mind, immoral.

=^..^=

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the problem of course is the cost of real estate. When people can't build out they build up, so the most desireable locations, like Manhattan, tend to grow highrises. I guess it all comes down to greed . . .

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what happens when I reply to one thing before reading all my email, because it always seems like there's something further down that applies!

This is a link to something posted on the web by one of my mail art buddies. Parts of it are a little hard to read (font color too close to background color) but about 3/4 of the way down is an artist's rendering of a plan for rebuilding the WTC that might be interesting to some of you

http://www.stampo.com/