Should my kitten be able to jump up on things by now?

caramella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i thing he should my cats have been able to jump since 2 month maybe you should try to train him on short things and then start with taller and by the way he is so cute :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli was nine months old and a little over 4 kg. (about 9 lbs.) when we got him, and he only jumped short distances, though he would sit and weigh distances. You could see that he wanted to jump higher/farther, but just didn't trust himself to make it. After a couple of weeks he started jumping higher. Now he's 17 months, 5 kg. and jumps 4 or 5 feet with ease. Some cats might be late bloomers or have to work up their courage to try big jumps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update! His cat tree came and his is sooooo happy! He is on it all the time and he flys up and down it and rolls around at the top like crazy and he never falls off cause he can grip on to it.

There is actually an even higher platform that's not in this pic that I had to temporarily remove cause he went right from that on to the top of the verticle blinds and once he walked the length of the blinds he couldn't get down and he flipped out. So I'm gonna put some panels above the blinds so he can't walk on them and then add the other platform back. But even with out it, he loves it! And he's jumping all over it, working his muscles and gaining confidence, so that's good! :D

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good job!!  Glad he's enjoying his cat tree even though he's being a bit mischievous!  He's a cutie!

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! l love your cat tree!

l see in the cat tree pic that he has fluffy feet. l have hardwood floors and ceramic through most of the house, and l have to keep the "fluff" trimmed between my dog's toes and paw-pads so he has traction. l wonder if a foot-trim so that his pads are exposed would make him feel more secure jumping onto your household surfaces.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

Be thankful!!  Once they learn to jump, there is no stopping them!  He's still a little tyke so I wouldn't worry too much about that.  It'll come in time, but one thing that would help is a cat tree if you don't have one.  He can climb the legs and that will help strengthen his leg muscles.

He looks such a happy boy up there! Brilliant news.  I just had to copy stephanietx's original post here, spot on with the suggstion, and I suspect spot on with the consequences. 

I am loving that you are putting a degree of control on his climbing until you add some extra high level walking planks for him! Sounds like he likes it up there!
   Hope you're remembering to either put a turning platform or acat tree at the other end of the blinds....   Mouse has spent a lot of time precariously backing up on the narrow sash window ledges I have and they're not nearly as high as the top of your blinds will be!  If my boy gets up on the ledge in the rooms where there's no cat tree he still yeowls for me to come and lift him down.

zoeyecho77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 kittens, 6 months old and the same weight as yours who also can't jump very high.  I think they CAN but they don't seem to know they can.  If that makes sense.  I have seen Echo jump on the kitchen counter before but they both prefer to climb my computer chair to get to the counter instead of just jumping on it.  It is weird but I like to hear that someone else is having the same kind of experience.  Both of my kittens are doing it so I don't think they have any of the neurological or hip problems that people have mentioned.  Maybe some kittens just develop faster?  I can't remember when my last kitten started jumping on everything.  For now it's great because I have places I can hide things.  Soon that will end...

lillydsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought Lilly home from the shelter at 8-weeks-old and she was jumping by then like a pro! She never really had the wobbly kitten walk. Her eye/paw coordination was amazing! They knew her exact age because she was actually born at the shelter to a pregnant queen. She ran around the house like a maniac! It took her until about 10-weeks until she could jump form the floor to the counter. I had to watch her like a hawk! I had to put a very tall baby gate (made for x-large size dogs) to block her from the kitchen, as she was into everything!