Should I Worry About Redirected Aggression With My Neighbor Cat

Fatdream

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
before I got a cat my neighbor’s cat always came over to my house. My house is a cat fav spot .

Then I adopted a cat from the shelter . This is my first cat and I’m barely learning about redirected aggression .

The neighbor cat came by one day and there was some hissing (mostly by my cat ) then she stopped .

Now for the last 3 days my neighbor cat comes by and sits and roll on the other side of the glass door and leaves . My cat would watch her sometimes then walk away . I open the door a tiny bit sometimes but neither showed much interested in sniffing each other.

Up until now I supported them getting to know each other because I didn’t know about redirected aggression in cats and didn’t see any harm . Should I let this ( them seeing each other )continue or will it become a problem

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
As long as your cat doesn’t seem distressed or agitated by these encounters, I think it should be okay. :)

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Redirected aggression means that *IF* your cat gets stressed and agitated (puffy tail, etc) and *IF* you try and pet your cat when it is in that state, you might get scratched. Just avoid touching your cat if it appears stressed by a visitor (or by anything else), and this normally suffices to avoid problems. As pointed out by abyeb abyeb your cat doesn't appear to be stressed, so you aren't at risk for redirected aggression unless something changes. Redirected aggression is rarely much of an issue in any event unless you have toddlers or it leads to your own cats fighting -- a human adult can just avoid the agitated cat for a bit.

Last edited:

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Basically what is going on is a cat introduction, much like the way you would do if you took a second cat in the house. Some hissing is natural.
My only concern would be in letting them touch noses or sniff each other personally and up close, if the neighbhors' cat has not been vaccinated or yours hasn't been, then I'd be worried. I'm sure they are curious about each other; the picture is really cute.