Should I try to integrate a loner cat into my colony?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allison taylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I was so exasperating about that flimsy trap, as I had pretty much known it was a one-time opportunity that got messed up. I just contacted the Pet Community Center in Nashville to see whether they have a drop trap to lend. I will see whether there's anyone else, either in Nashville or Birmingham, that might have one. I will take your advice with respect to having someone show me how to use the trap and having a helper when I trap him. I trapped him a year-and-a-half ago and got him neutered.  He's a big, muscular cat, and he was all teeth and claws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allison taylor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A local Nashville feral cat organization is going to loan me a drop trap, and I'll likely travel up that way later in the week.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Excellent!!

Just be sure to take someone along when you decide to trap him. It takes another person to hold the trap or carrier that he will be coaxed into, held tightly up against the door opening before it is raised.

I can use a drop trap alone but have lots of experience, otherwise it's quite a task for just one.

It can be done, but for your first time, there are several things that can cause him to escape, and you won't get another chance to get him again.....

Good luck!!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news!  As Catwoman says, though, try to bring someone with you.  Drop traps can be big and clumsy and usually need two operators. Vibes that you snag him and bring him home.  Even if he protests, you are doing the right thing!