Should I take a pregnant cat to get spayed?

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is a female cat that I have been feeding for a few weeks. 

She comes close, but does not allow me to touch her. She runs if I attempt to get too close, but I have noticed her enlarged breasts and looks pregnant. 

I called the humane society and they said they take everything out including the fetuses. This was shocking to hear, but I have researched a bit and found out that this is looked as a good thing to do. 

I am not so sure it is the moral thing to do for my personal believes, but I understand the consequences of not spaying and allowing her to have the kittens. 

It is just a matter of time for her to deliver and I could care for the kittens, although I am not sure I will even know where she will go to deliver or if I will ever find these kittens so I can help and find them homes. 

May I get opinions on what you would do in this situation? I recently found a home to 2 kittens that were abandoned, but it is not always easy to find them homes. 

P.S: I was hoping to gain this cat's trust so I can help finding her a home, but I am not so sure she will ever trust to come back to even feed here after trapping her and taking her to get spayed since it is traumatic to be put in a cage and be held like that. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like you will need to trap her whether you give her a home and allow her to have the kittens, or whether you take her to the Humane Society for a spay/abortion.

If you get her spayed, or decide to let her have the kittens, you would need to keep her in a room of her own in your home until she becomes comfortable with you and begins to trust you.

Or you can trap, spay, and release her.

It's unclear to me if she is feral or semi-feral, but when pregnant, cats become very skittish because they are already protecting their unborn babies.

Thank you for feeding her and caring. Let me know what you decide! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's how I think about it: if you were able to catch, socialize, care for, and rehome all of the kittens (which would likely be entirely up to you, because shelters won't have the resources to help, and that is a lot of work!), then that means that other kittens who are already born are not going to get those homes. Many of those kittens and cats are already alive and going to be put to sleep. Sadly, cats are going to die either way. If you cannot provide the kittens with care and a home and a good quality of life, I think the most ethical thing to do is terminate the pregnancy. It's hard, but you can take comfort in the fact that you're saving the lives of other kittens somewhere.

Ferals are always tricky, and it's not always possible to give them the level of care we'd like. Once you trap them, you cannot let them go until they're spayed, because they are very difficult to trap a second time. So you would either have to trap her and bring her in to get spayed, or keep her confined to a small room for the rest of her pregnancy until the kittens are weaned, and then take her in to get spayed. Obviously the second option requires a lot more work and preparation.

If you are going to terminate the pregnancy, doing so as soon as possible will make everything much easier for the mother.

Either way, getting her spayed is going to improve her quality of life greatly. It's the best thing you can do for a feral cat, even though the experience is frightening for them. Cats can learn to trust again even after going through remarkable stuff, and while she probably won't enter a trap again, if you keep feeding her after the spay she'll probably come back. Whether or not she can learn to live as a fully domestic cat in the future depends on how feral she is.

It sounds like she's close to term, so if it were me I'd probably trap her, confine her, help her raise the kittens, and try to socialize her, because losing a litter so far in the pregnancy can have a negative emotional effect on a mother. But, that's not always a feasible option, which is why when it comes to ferals, level of care often has to be compromised. Whatever you decide to do, as long as the end result is that the cat is spayed, you will have done a wonderful thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi sarthur, No way for me to know if she grew on the streets or was dumped after being a home kitty, but she has lived here in a gated community, but she is still very suspicious of everyone and keeps her distance. 

What do you mean she may move on? You mean she will dismiss all the stress I will put her through? Or she will literally just never come back (moving on) lol..

I have another suspicion. 

I recently "rescued" a male. I took him to get neutered since he was VERY friendly with people and would allow me to pet him to the end of times. So he was easy to put in a carrier and get it done.

I ended up adopting him and now he lives here with me, but before I took him to get neutered I saw him hanging out with the female cat a lot. So I think there might be a good chance that he is the father.

When she comes to feed, she is greeted and welcomed by my cat and they even touch their heads. Very friendly together. :)

Last edited:

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's how I think about it: if you were able to catch, socialize, care for, and rehome all of the kittens (which would likely be entirely up to you, because shelters won't have the resources to help, and that is a lot of work!), then that means that other kittens who are already born are not going to get those homes. Many of those kittens and cats are already alive and going to be put to sleep. Sadly, cats are going to die either way. If you cannot provide the kittens with care and a home and a good quality of life, I think the most ethical thing to do is terminate the pregnancy. It's hard, but you can take comfort in the fact that you're saving the lives of other kittens somewhere.

Ferals are always tricky, and it's not always possible to give them the level of care we'd like. Once you trap them, you cannot let them go until they're spayed, because they are very difficult to trap a second time. So you would either have to trap her and bring her in to get spayed, or keep her confined to a small room for the rest of her pregnancy until the kittens are weaned, and then take her in to get spayed. Obviously the second option requires a lot more work and preparation.

If you are going to terminate the pregnancy, doing so as soon as possible will make everything much easier for the mother.

Either way, getting her spayed is going to improve her quality of life greatly. It's the best thing you can do for a feral cat, even though the experience is frightening for them. Cats can learn to trust again even after going through remarkable stuff, and while she probably won't enter a trap again, if you keep feeding her after the spay she'll probably come back. Whether or not she can learn to live as a fully domestic cat in the future depends on how feral she is.

It sounds like she's close to term, so if it were me I'd probably trap her, confine her, help her raise the kittens, and try to socialize her, because losing a litter so far in the pregnancy can have a negative emotional effect on a mother. But, that's not always a feasible option, which is why when it comes to ferals, level of care often has to be compromised. Whatever you decide to do, as long as the end result is that the cat is spayed, you will have done a wonderful thing.
Hi Molly, you have a great way to looking at this situation. These kittens, will definitely take the adoption opportunity of a cat that is already in need of a home. I have already purchased a trap at home depot and hope to catch her early morning tomorrow in order to take her right away to the humane society. It kills me that there will be an abortion and that she may be psicologically affected as a mother, but I am hoping she will allow me to find her a home where she will be loved. Who knows, maybe I will be having 2 cats and a love bird. (still struggling with how to keep my bird safe) :)

Thanks for the insight!!!!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your male cat and the stray cat were clearly friends! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Do you think you can trap the pregnant female soon and bring her in? It sounds like she would enjoy the company of the male cat.

You probably need to make a decision soon.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hi Molly, you have a great way to looking at this situation. These kittens, will definitely take the adoption opportunity of a cat that is already in need of a home. I have already purchased a trap at home depot and hope to catch her early morning tomorrow in order to take her right away to the humane society. It kills me that there will be an abortion and that she may be psicologically affected as a mother, but I am hoping she will allow me to find her a home where she will be loved. Who knows, maybe I will be having 2 cats and a love bird. (still struggling with how to keep my bird safe) :)

Thanks for the insight!!!!
with a little luck they may lern she is part of the family, alike dogs do with members of the pack.  Although the situation will always

be unsecure for the bird.  Just a little accident and its over...

I know of examples, where the cat is best friend with the familys rabbit, but does hunt  rabbits outside in the fields.  Etc...

The friendly male will be an ambassadeur with socializing her.  Especielly as they are already good friends.  So I hope you give her home with you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

There is a female cat that I have been feeding for a few weeks. 

She comes close, but does not allow me to touch her. She runs if I attempt to get too close, but I have noticed her enlarged breasts and looks pregnant. 

I called the humane society and they said they take everything out including the fetuses. This was shocking to hear, but I have researched a bit and found out that this is looked as a good thing to do. 

I am not so sure it is the moral thing to do for my personal believes, but I understand the consequences of not spaying and allowing her to have the kittens. 

It is just a matter of time for her to deliver and I could care for the kittens, although I am not sure I will even know where she will go to deliver or if I will ever find these kittens so I can help and find them homes. 

May I get opinions on what you would do in this situation? I recently found a home to 2 kittens that were abandoned, but it is not always easy to find them homes. 

P.S: I was hoping to gain this cat's trust so I can help finding her a home, but I am not so sure she will ever trust to come back to even feed here after trapping her and taking her to get spayed since it is traumatic to be put in a cage and be held like that. Thoughts?

Thanks for your time
Wise words.   IF you do anything - the way is to trap her, as soon as possible.  Exactly what you will do, is next step and your decision.

You had got good advices in this thread.

Re the spaying.  With cats its not that bad as with humans.  A human baby may survive with several months to go, if the hospital infant ward is good enough.

So its easy to understand abortions are touchy. Especielly if itsnt verry early abortion.

But not so with cats.  Kittens dont manage well a too early cesarean or early delivery, even if the owner fights on.  The surviving record I know of is 4 days early. Of 65 days.

Althoug Im first to say, if the kittens have began to move, it gets very touchy.

Some dont like any abortion of fetuses at all, and may even be quite militant about it. Not even very early abortions.   I see it as so: to have a moral right to have any opinions, you must also be prepared to stand up for alternatives.  Ie taking care of them who are born.  Born from this litter, and these already born whom wont get homes because the homes went to kittens from this here litter, tx to your sponsoring.

Are YOU willing to take full responsibility for this litter?  Are you willing and ready to adopt a couple three of other homeless cats?  Not because they are sweet and looks almost as purebred, but because they do need care and a loving home?   Alternatively, working actively in other ways for homeless and cats in need.

If yes, - yes, you do have the moral right to have an opinion against abortion....    AND I understand YOU  SaveTheKitty had thought on all these things and already began go this track helping this tom, and reading on and doing some thinking.   But NOW you can make your educated decision. Whichever you choose, it will thus be a good decision.

We will of course support you and your cats, whichever alternative you choose.

Sorry for the rant. :)    I had thougth this way long time now, and now it flooded on.

Last edited:

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your insight. I wanted to update the thread and let you know I took her to Animal Services to get spayed and she is now resting here with me. 

It looks like the surgery went well, however Animal services is like a factory from a 3rd world country and they rushed me in and out, so I don't even know if she had kittens or any details. 

On top of this, I notice that she has a laceration on her left eye's cornea that was not there before. This is so upsetting. I hope I didn't cause her more pain and suffering than needed because I took her there. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goodness! I hate to hear that the place operates like that, but I'm glad she's spayed.

You may want to get her eye looked at by a regular vet. She may need eye drops to help it heal safely.