should I start my senior and cat with crystals on raw food?

georgiesmommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i keep hearing about raw food for cats...I have a few cats without health issues but i have 2 that do...I really believe my senior cat (15) is allergic to mainstream cat food ...he presents with stomatii and he may have that as well because he responded well to the meds but he's flaring up again. I know for sure he allergic to seafood of any kind due to an immediate reaction he had recently, but now i think he is actually developed an allergy to cat food both canned and dry, although we don't give him much dry as his teeth aren't in the best of shape. Is it ok to give him raw food? Also I have a 6 year old that suddenly developed  a crystal issue this year and refuses to keep to his UI food, now he gets raw treats from me when i am cutting meat (especially beef) which he loves loves loves ....how do i transition these guys and should i even try?

catajade

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of make your own cat food recipes on the internet. It probably be a little time consuming, but it sounds like a really good option for you. I would definitely look into it.  Many of the recipes call for either chicken or turkey, organ meats and ground up bones. You then add your other vitamins and amino acids. My cats had really bad tummies for awhile too, so I thought about it. It turned out my cats had giardia. Good Luck

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A great way to transition to raw is to try some high quality pre-made raw, like Rad Cat, which is great for cats with urinary issues or older cats with kidney issues because it uses eggshell calcium rather than bone. It's pretty easy to find and you can buy small tubs to start out with. They have beef, which may be a fav for your beef loving kitty.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whether or not to transition onto a raw diet is a decision only you can make. If you feel that it's right for you and your cats then go for it :D

These links may help you decide, and give you a clear idea of what's involved:-[article="31714"][/article][article="31997"][/article][article="32321"][/article][article="31673"][/article][article="32194"][/article][article="31801"][/article][article="31138"][/article][thread="272287"][/thread]