Should I re-adopt the cat I surrendered?

jrrtolkitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope this is the appropriate place to post this since it wouldnt give me the option to post in the shelter news forum.

So I adopted a female cat back in June and she turned out to be a big ol meanie. She growled at me when i approached her, growled at my 2 male cats. She butted heads mercilessly with Arcturus, and he began spraying and I suspect she may have done some spraying herself. I eventually had to keep Arcturus confined to my daughter's room whenever she was in the house. I realized she preferred to be outdoors, so I let her do her thing and she became a very happy kitty, finally. This changed once the weather got cooler and I was also getting phone calls from over a block away from people wondering if she was lost. Nobody had a problem with her, said she was just as sweet as she could be. But I started making her stay indoors for all but the afternoon hours,  and acted like she hated me again. I then realized she had begun peeing all over my stuff. I realized I couldn't keep her like that all winter. 

So I decided to throw in the towel and the shelter said I could bring her back. A couple weeks later I saw her in  Petsmart in the adoption center. She seemed very aloof and disinterested. Not sure if she forgot us already or if she had always disliked us, but I walked away feeling a little less crummy for giving her up. I remembered how scared she looked when I surrendered her. But then the next day when we were out that way, i felt the need to visit her again. Her name and info sheet had now been pulled.

This time an associate came up and asked if we were interested in any of the cats. She then added that that one was no longer available for adoption. I asked why and she said she was very aggressive and they had to wear bite gloves to even stick their hand in the kennel. She had drawn blood and was being sent back to the shelter the next morning, as she would no longer be able to stay at Petsmart thusly. She never bit me like that, only snapped and growled. Clearly she is way worse now that Ive taken her back. But she assured me they wont euthanize unless an animal is terminally ill, so they will simply keep dropping her adoption fee til she is given away for free. At this point I can't imagine anybody is gonna want her if she is so bad off. And I know she is mad because she is confined and not able to run around outside. I feel like maybe I should've left well enough alone and let her live her outdoor lifestyle. But I also worry that even if she's outside, it will still cause stress in the boy cats. They have calmed down quite a bit now that she's gone, and Arcturus has bad anxiety. I don't think I wanna rock the boat again but I still feel like I'm somehow responsible for her wellbeing all the same. I don't even know if the shelter would even let me readopt since I told them that she dislikes other cats and would probably be better off as an only-cat and probably with no kids either (I have 3). Even her info card emphasized ONLY cat for her needs. But she is also happiest when outdoors. 

Should I re-adopt her and just let her do her thing or just forget about her? 

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever I say I don't think you are going to like it so I shall be brief. You feel responsible now for her wellbeing, as you say, but you gave her back in June. When we adopt a cat we adopt it warts & all. You were her person & now she is back in a cage. Better to leave her where she is and, hopefully, someone will adopt her who will be more suited to her needs.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Primula. Leave her be. Nothing is going to change if you re-adopt her. If fact, things could be worse...think of that..

If the Humane Society is a no-kill shelter, then, this cat could eventually be housed in a foster home. I know we have done that for one of our cats. She came to us as a former feral, with a possibility of being domesticated. We did not know this originally, so she really got at many of us. 

When we discovered her background, we found a foster home, where she is the only cat and the foster parents are willing to work with her. So far, I have not heard of anything horrible happening...in fact, she has her own bedroom in the house!

If you are interested, look up "Angel" or look at my profile to see my threads about her.