Should I put my cat to sleep because of aggression issues? (LONG)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, there are a lot more responses here than the last time I logged in! To clarify...the dog actually came before the cat. It is a unique situation in that I got the dog my first year of college, when I was commuting to school and living at home with my parents. The following year, I moved to an off-campus apartment and the dog stayed home with my parents. I got Izzie while I was at school in the apartment, and she stayed there with me until I graduated 3 years ago and moved back home. Izzie and my dog had been together only during school breaks and occasional weekends up until this point, and got along fine until I moved back home.

Rehoming my dog is a good suggestion, and I considered it. But my poor dog has done nothing to invite these attacks and has always been so tolerant and patient with the whole situation. She is very attached to me, and I don't want to punish her for something that is not her fault.

I don't want to put Izzie to sleep either, which is why I posted this in the first place. Levi68, thank you for presenting the other side as far as the dog is concerned. Sometimes it does feel like Izzie keeps me hostage, and I tolerate it because I love her, but it is not easy.

Ducman69, we have tried liquid Prozac mixed with wet food which Izzie had no problem eating, but I did not see any change in her aggression towards others. What side effects are there to Valium? Would it make her very "out of it"?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought is are you sure she doesn't have a UTI or crystals? That could certainly contribute to aggression.
Secondly, does she have any perching spots high above the floor? I know I watched a show on animal behavior and a once viciously aggressive cat became calm once he had some cat trees, and was able to jump on top of the tv cabinet, bookshelf and fireplace mantle.

Oh... and will the studio apartment have any windows? You could attach a cat enclosure and have her live out there. And technically since the dog is so small swap them out a few times a day. (Take cat in and put in bathroom. Put dog out. Let cat roam apartment. Take dog out and put in bathroom. Put cat out. Let dog roam apartment, etc.)

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Valium, if taken at the correct dose and daily, will not make her out of it or intoxicated in any way. It should just take the edge off the same way Xanax should. It could cause some drowsiness in the beginning, at least it does in humans, but once the body develops a tolerance that gets better. If used as a maintenance medication the cat should act and feel normal, just calmer and less anxious, if it works. The biggest risk with using Valium is that it causes physical dependence so if it's used for a longer period of time it has to be tapered slowly to take the cat off it.
I've also read about Buspar which can work to calm down aggressive cats.

About leaving the dog with your parents - I understand what you mean about that it's not fair to punish her for something she didn't do but are you sure she would see it as a punishment? After all this is the home she has lived in for years and she knows it and the people in it. Dogs are very territorial and moving can actually be quite stressful. Leaving her there wouldn't really be any different than when you went to college. Considering the circumstances, only considering the dog's perspective, I actually think that allowing her to remain in her home with her pack could be best for her.
If you would bring Izzie to the new apartment you could make up a little space for her in the bathroom for when you have people over.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh... and will the studio apartment have any windows? You could attach a cat enclosure and have her live out there.
How would you attach a cat enclose to a window in an apartment building?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didnt mean to make it sound like I dislike dogs or anything. I have a dog and I love the little monster to pieces. But the way things sounded it seemed like the dog was post cat and for me it would be the new addition that would go if it was throwing off the harmony of the house.

I would agree with trying meds and making sure you have plenty of hidey spots and places that are cat only where she can be away from the dog and other people. I would try the meds now though so you can see if they work and get the proper dosage now rather than dealing with it while your in the middle of moving.

Good luck.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ziggy'smom

How would you attach a cat enclose to a window in an apartment building?
Not to the window; more like around the window. You'd basically close off an area of the room (including the window) for the cat to use.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've also read about Buspar which can work to calm down aggressive cats.
Buspar is what I used years ago with great success.

My Katie began attacking my older and larger cat Louie (long story which I won't go into here for the sake of brevity). I'd read about Buspar and requested it from my vet who told me it could take up to 6 weeks before it became effective.

It took one day for Katie.

The change was miraculous. Katie was back to her old self, and she and Louie had no more problems. The best part was that there were no clinical side effects. Katie ate, played and acted the same as always. No personality changes, other than that now, there was no more fighting with Louie.

To be on the safe side, I kept Katie on the med for 3 months, slowly weaning her off. She and Louie never again had a problem.

Buspar is different than Prozac and Valium. It's certainly worth a try for Izzie.

About leaving the dog with your parents - I understand what you mean about that it's not fair to punish her for something she didn't do but are you sure she would see it as a punishment? After all this is the home she has lived in for years and she knows it and the people in it. Dogs are very territorial and moving can actually be quite stressful. Leaving her there wouldn't really be any different than when you went to college. Considering the circumstances, only considering the dog's perspective, I actually think that allowing her to remain in her home with her pack could be best for her.
If you would bring Izzie to the new apartment you could make up a little space for her in the bathroom for when you have people over.
I know you don't want to part with your dog, but I agree with Ziggy'smom about the possibility that your dog will be content if she lives with your family.
Since you are actually considering euthanizing your cat, a solution, while not perfect, which enables both dog and cat to continue living their lives is optimal. You would still be able to see your dog since she'll be with family. Perhaps at some point when you are able to get a larger apartment, or house, you'll able to bring your dog back to live with you.

There is no way out of this situation without compromise. The one option I personally would take off the table is euthanasia. The goal is to keep both dog and cat alive and as happy as possible given the constraints of your circumstances.

In the meantime, try the Buspar. Give it a while to work, since it may take longer to be effective for Izzie. Consult a cat behaviorist and consider an appointment with a feline neurologist.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, contacting a cat behaviorist would be a great idea if you can afford it. They aren't cheap but maybe you could at least get a consultation.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vixen, I just sent you a private message. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, and feel free to think I'm nuts, but a number of us on TCS have successfully worked with an amazing animal communicator. I don't know that she'd be able to provide answers that resolve the problem - but at the very least you may get information that helps you decide what to do.

Please read the PM, but this is her website: http://www.enlightenedanimals.com

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An animal behaviorist could be useful. You guys probably know by now I'm not into the alternative, unproven stuff; but the scientific angle--getting somebody who knows a lot about cats to look into the situation--might just help.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not generall into unscientific either, but the animal communicator we work with has proven her ability numerous times to both us and to people to whom I've recommended her.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that your cat's issues are territorial and I also think the inappropriate peeing is territorial. An animal behaviorist IMO would help immensely, giving you a fresh look. You mentioned your mom and sister lived with you for a while too. It was probably best for your cat that she stayed in your room because it sounds like she doesn't do well with change.
That said, you could probably successfully rehome her as an "only cat" making sure to describe her as the diva that she is and how she needs her routine more than other cats. I am guessing the peeing occurs when you are away from the house too long and she has severe separation anxiety, or when she feels her territory or spot in the pecking order is threatened.

One way to rehome her successfully would be for you to go to the shelter and talk to them, say you will be her foster mom, and take her to adoption events on the weekends and then back home at the end of the day or weekend just so she begins to get used to being in a cage. Make sure and be truthful that she is a diva and bonds to one person, there are a fair number of people who are fine with a territorial "only" cat, even if she hisses at visitors.
In that same vein, I think she would do better if she had a high cat tree, and I also think some of her anxiety would be alleviated if you played with her at least once a day, really get her running around, just to distract her from her inward disposition and build her confidence, lift her spirits.

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also would look into rehoming the dog to a family member that you could visit often. I feel so bad about the situation that you are in. My mind just wont allow me to consider putting something to sleep dog or cat if there is an alternative solution. Nothing should die just because we can't come up with a convient option.

I have dogs and cats. In my experience dogs seem to deal with rehoming and rebonding a ton better than cats do. Once a cat has bonded to one person they bond hard and it is traumatic for the cat when taken out of their element and away from the person they love.

Dogs on the other hand seem to rebound quicker during rehoming than cats do. Again this is in my experience.

I also love the idea of a behavioist or contacting some local cat rescues to see if they have anyone who is willing to take a special needs kitty. It doesn't hurt.

Another thing you can try is reintroducing them once you get into the new apartment. Kitty may have to sleep in the bathroom for a bit and slowly be reintroduced to the dog. But the apartment will be new territory that no one has been established in and maybe she will come around since she isn't trying to defend her turf so to speak.

I wish you the best of luck with what ever you decide. I know it is not easy.

olivesmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
First, just wanted to send my sympathies. That is a really though situation and I'm not sure what I would do if it were me. I'm not sure I could ever pick one over the other.

I know a lot of suggestions have been given, but I wanted to encourage you to look into the Thundershirts. I am actually going to get one for my dog who goes beserk in the car; and a few of our clients have purchased them (for their dogs) and RAVED about the effectiveness. I browsed their website briefly and they seemed to be very present to answer posts/questions etc. I did see one poster ask about sizing for cats. Also, they have a 45 day money back guarantee, which they do seem to stand by. They are a bit pricey ($45 at our store), but if it works it would be a simple and drug free solution that should get fast results. Although Im not sure if it would mean that your cat would need to wear it at all times? Maybe at night if you crated the dog or the cat, then the cat could take the shirt off?

I was wondering, did the soft paws on your cats claws fall off? Or not work? Or was she able to do a lot of damage with her teeth? It seems like that would have been such a good precaution (protection) and maybe you could utilize them while trying out new things whether it is meds, the shirt or citronella collar etc

I second the person who encouraged research into cat rescues. I know many would not accept such an aggressive cat, but I do feel like they might work with you to help you find a home, they would have a lot more resources than you alone. Especially if you are willing to keep her during the search, or take her back if things did not work out.

They most likely have fosters who are cat savvy and may be willing to trial her in their homes. Also, they would be able to start fresh with her, not bringing in tense/fearful/negative attitudes towards her. Not sure if that makes sense? But they wouldn't have a history with her (besides what you tell them) and so she wouldn't be feeling the tension and anxiety that your family feels towards her since they are so afraid of her.
(EG, I know that when I am trying to manage a play group of dogs, if I am feeling jumpy and tense, the dogs feel that and are more on edge, high strung and the energy level and angst makes them prone to get into quarrels easier than if the humans were calm and relaxed)

Also, a slight side note, but about the shock collars, you are able to get some that have a VERY low shock level. I'm not sure if they make them specifically for cats (sorry I have a lot more experience with dogs) but we had a dog at work using one and my boss let each of us try getting shocked. Honestly I couldn't feel a thing when he "shocked me" even when he turned the rating up a level I still did not feel a thing. He told me that when the dog was shocked he could feel it, he acted alert, like if you had called to get his attention, but did not whimper, cry in pain or even act afraid of the collar. So anyways, not saying this would be a good alternative for your cat, but just wanted to give some info, because I was VERY against shock collars, but having tried one out, I am more open to using it in appropriate situations.

Also, not sure if you might want to try sectioning off your apartment? I have a studio myself, and when my dog comes to visit, my cat is relegated to my bathroom, and as it is only a day or 2 that is fine, but maybe you could effectively half your big room? with the cat having half and the dog having the other half? It is a small space but I assume you take the dog out for walks, and maybe you could crate the dog for few hours and play with the cat? There are quite a few products designed to keep cats out of an area, air blowers, citronella sprays, and I even saw "scatmats" which are electric mats, however reading the reviews made it does seem like the level of shock is decently high, as some of the reviews stated that if you accidentally step on it, that it is more than annoying.

Wow. Sorry that ended up so long. I hope that you are able to find a solution that you can feel comfortable with, whatever that solution may be. Even though we all have our opinions on what is right and what you should do, effectively it is your cat, and your life, and you are the one who will have to live with whatever you decide.

cheshire27

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is an old thread and I read it in it's entirety. First thing, I am wondering what you decided as I am struggling with this very problem.

Secondly, the overwhelming responses of what you could do assume that you haven't tried everything in the book, suggest you dump another animal to keep a barely social animal alive or profess that simple training in the problem.

Some animals are wired improperly. Ted Bundy had that problem too. One minute he was nice and the next he is slicing and dicing bodies with no problem.

My male cat was first taken in by my son. I did NOT want the cat but I inherited it. Of course everyone including my husband has something to say about this cats life but I am the one feeding, dealing with the vet issues, getting bitten and scratched. The animal brings me no joy whatsoever and he is occupying a room that I could be using. As we speak he is keeping a larger room and I am trying to shove a queen sized bed into a tiny room for guests coming over all because of this cat. Can I pet him? Once in awhile but usually he will slice you up. He is suspicious of hand movement yet requires eye drops daily so you can guess who get bitten and scratched daily. He will sit on your lap and be nice but he will start to slowly dig his claws into you so you cannot move. Then he starts growling...then he digs in deeper using all his 18 pound body weight to hold you hostage in one spot until HE decides to let go. Life is miserable and I think he is miserable too. Is it right to keep this cat alive? Like Ted Bundy don't we have a duty to weed out the poorly wired? As a vet once pointed out to me;; for the 8 years I have been dealing with this, I could have rescued 10 cats from euthanizing simply because of overcrowding during kitten season. All signs point me to putting this cat down.....but deep down I would feel horrible for doing this. This has been my struggle for 8 years. The stress of this is burden enough. So when people suggest you give up your dog, rehome an aggressive cat, split a small apartment in half, build an addition to your home yadda yadda and chastise someone for even thinking about euthanizing.....I say to them: What is your address and I will send him to you. When you have finished the behavior modification, found the right drugs, cured him of all his demeans and your bite marks and scratches have healed, you let me know. I will pick him up ASAP.

I NEVER have any 'cat lover', cat behaviorist, animal lover, PETA member, Humane Society Card Carrier, farmer or vet jump up and say "Sure! I'll take him!"

Never.

You know what is right and what kind of life you have (or don't have) because of this cat. It is a hard decision enough to make without strangers chiming in. I made the mistake of asking other peoples opinion about it and all you are left with is feeling worse about your situation than before.  Just because something worked for another does not mean it will work for you. Believe me....I have tried everything and have even bought a house based on this cats needs. Imagine that. But I would be a jerk because according to most people posting, I haven't tried hard enough.

Only you know. Good luck with your decision.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cheshire27, since this is an old thread, like you pointed out, the OP probably made any decision 2 years ago. I applaud you wanting to know more, but sometimes people never respond to inquiries. I agree with you that only the owner knows the whole situation.

Welcome to TCS.

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you thought of getting a high cat tree?

In our small room, our 80' cat tree is wedged in a corner and it offers a safe "overseeing" spot for my cats to go when a child or something is over to visit. Perhaps what your kitty needs is a place not to feel threatened? 

I don't think you should re-home either. You just need to slooooooooooooowly make her accept that you and your dog are part of her pack. Keep doing what you are doing with reintroductions but don't give up!!