Should I play laser with my cat?

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bought laser for my Max, yes he was chasing it but I noticed that Max seems to be stress out instead of enjoying it, even the laser beam was gone he was still looking for it and I can hear him chirping.

What does it mean when a cat chirps? I haven't seen Charlie doing it. Should I continue playing laser with Max?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chirping or chattering?

If he or she is looking out the window, they're usually chirping at a bird or other animal they would like to chase.

If they're chirping at you, they want your attention or want to be playful with you.

Sounds to me like Max is enjoying the laser and considers it prey or is happy and asking you to play! So go ahead and keep playing with him. But make sure you don't shine it into his eyes because it can cause retina damage.

Make sure you also play with them with wand toys and throw toys too though. A laser is nice and it keeps them active, but they never ever catch it and over time it can be frustrating for them. Wand style toys allow them to occasionally catch their prey and gives them some satisfaction of being a big, brave hunter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like you got his prey instinct kicked in! Some cats are more talkative than others, and when Billy wants to keep playing, he'll talk and let us know! Lazlo also talks to let us know he's found a bug, or it's disappeared.

Think of the laser beam like a flying bug... they have so much fun trying to catch that fly or moth that got in - but it keeps disappearing or flying out of reach. They'll keep looking for it. Same thing.

However, if you want the play session with the laser to have some kind of "closure," you can put some treats down under a handkerchief or something, and when you want to finish the laser-time play session, make the laser dot disappear under the handkerchief where the treats are.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My girls love that thing! But Noodles typically hogs it. She has a slight heart murumur the vet said so once she starts looking tired I make her stop. Sometimes she'll start panting even!

Someone on here once suggested when you end the game to let them "see" it going say out a window or something like that to help them focus on knowing it got away this time. I've also done the treat thing like Laurie suggested.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

However, if you want the play session with the laser to have some kind of "closure," you can put some treats down under a handkerchief or something, and when you want to finish the laser-time play session, make the laser dot disappear under the handkerchief where the treats are.
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Someone on here once suggested when you end the game to let them "see" it going say out a window or something like that to help them focus on knowing it got away this time. I've also done the treat thing like Laurie suggested.
What great ideas!!!!

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We play with the laser pen with ours they always look for it once we finished playing with it
never heard chirping from them

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should keep playing the laser with him, it sounds like he really likes it

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually either make the laser go away under something when I'm done playing with them, or wait until their put their paw on it and then quickly turn it off so they think they caught it.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or lay your head on the ground and point the laser in your mouth and then chomp down, make noisy nom nom nom sounds, and they know you ate it. Burp is optional.

I agree, continue, sounds like its a hit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Sounds like you got his prey instinct kicked in! Some cats are more talkative than others, and when Billy wants to keep playing, he'll talk and let us know! Lazlo also talks to let us know he's found a bug, or it's disappeared.

Think of the laser beam like a flying bug... they have so much fun trying to catch that fly or moth that got in - but it keeps disappearing or flying out of reach. They'll keep looking for it. Same thing.

I would love to try this one.

I was just a little worried the last time we played it. Thanks for sharing your opinions.