Should I let my kitten lick his paws after declaw?

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

First of all, I have had cats ALL of my life, and they All have been declawed!!!!!!!  They can still climb trees, and go outside!!!   If you value your furniture or  rugs, you will get, I know  this done.  Yes, i realize pain is associated with it, but if you have a great vet, give them their meds, and take care of them, they will recover!!!!!!!!!
I value my cats over my furniture and rugs. 

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

First of all, I have had cats ALL of my life, and they All have been declawed!!!!!!!  They can still climb trees, and go outside!!!   If you value your furniture or  rugs, you will get, I know  this done.  Yes, i realize pain is associated with it, but if you have a great vet, give them their meds, and take care of them, they will recover!!!!!!!!!
Kindly calm down. You are responding to a very old post.. The original post was from 2006 and even the responses are from last year. 

If you'd like to talk about declawing, you are welcome to start your own thread about this topic. And please realize that The Cat Site is very anti-declaw.

Thank you.

Last edited:

rainbowdragon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a vet tech, and all of my cats are declawed. I would put the kitten in a separate room with the yesterday's news, and or newspaper litterbox. A little licking is OK (the kitten will help keep the incision clean), but excessive licking is bad (none of mine ever wore an e-collar). Also do call you vet and make sure what their instructions are and that you follow their instructions first and foremost.
hi

I just got my 7 month old kitten declawed. He came home with a cone colar on his head so he woldn't lick. I have tried to get him to used yesterdays news litter but I have another adult cat who refuses to use anything but clumping so the kitten has been using that box mostly. Now there is litter in his scabs. I tried to clean them but ouldn't get it all out. Should I just let him lick his paws clean?

How long should I leave the colar on him for?

Any advice would be great!
You should have tried pretty paws instead declaring your /a cat due to the surgery being a partial amputation. I myself got my cats declawed until I was told exactly what's done. It's actually quite painful and if affections occur it's costly.
I'm not condemning your choices just giving my opinion and maybe something to think about in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: