Should I leave a light on?

artemis908

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I pretty much wake-up early and come home late and I was thinking it's kind of dark in the apartment, do you think it bothers my cat? I was considering leaving a light on, but I cringe to think of the electricity bill I'd have from leaving a light on all day!

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave a small light in my bedroom on for Anya because its always dark when I get home this time of year. I often see her making her way from in there when I step inside the door.

And I make sure to open the blinds in the living room every morning so that she has sunlight to play in.

I would say leave one on if you like. You can put a low wattage bulb in a lamp. That's what I do.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Use a compact fluorescent bulb- they use very little electricity

I often leave the tv on for manytoes if Im going to be gone all day...I dont know if it makes him feel better, but I sure do!

purefusion

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my parents cat Cookie was alone all day when they were on vacation, I left a radio on in one room on a talk station. She seemed to like the programming when I was there listening, so I just left it on for her. The voices helped keep her sane when she was alone.

As long as a window is open (as in blinds open) I think he or she will be fine. They have excellent eyesight, you know. And then their bodies are more in tune with the natural cycle of the sun and will sleep more when it is dark.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also have some cute little nightlights. I have two in the kitchen, one in my bedroom and one in the other bedroom.

ckatz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have my lights on a timer. More for me than the cats-I don't like to come home to a dark apt. You can set the timer for what ever time the sun goes down.

Cynthia

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artemis908;1461111 said:
So, I pretty much wake-up early and come home late and I was thinking it's kind of dark in the apartment, do you think it bothers my cat?
I was considering leaving a light on, but I cringe to think of the electricity bill I'd have from leaving a light on all day!
How about several low wattage night lights? Even though cats can see better than we can in the dark, I leave night lights on so he can find his way to his litter box in the middle of the night. You can find 1/4 watt night lights so if you had four of them burning at once you would only be burning 1 watt an hour. I doubt if you would notice any difference in your electricity bill at all. Also, a lot of night lights are like mine, they turn theirselves off automatically when the room is light.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have several nightlights in all parts of the house. The nightlights are light sensitive so will only light up if it's dark and it'e LED so you will never need to replace the bulbs. I also have a floor lamp that is on timer so it's set to turn on once it gets dark so when I get home, my place is well lite.