Should I Get The 2 Pound Or 4 Pound Bag Of Food?

Haileyb26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
My math isn't that great, and I'm trying to figure out if I should buy my cat the 2 pound or 4 pound bag of cat food. I plan on only feeding him 1/3 a cup of the dry food mixed with some wet food. I eventually want to switch to an entirely wet food diet when he's ready, but I wanted to slowly ween him off the dry food.
Which size bag should I buy to be able to last the whole month? Thanks.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It really depends on what food you are feeding/how big the kibble pieces are.
I've read that the average is 4-5 cups of food per pound so the 2lb bag would be 8-10 cups of food and the 4lb bag would be 16 to 20 cups. If you are only feeding 1/3 cup a day then the 2lb bag would probably last pretty close to a month. If you don't mind being under by a few days, 2 should be fine. If you need it to last at least a full month, I'd go 4lb to be safe.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
hmmm.
Well, in my opinion, for freshness rather than looking at anything else, I'd go with the smaller bag, although that doesn't answer your question and is opposite of what duckpond duckpond suggested :).

1 pound = 4.25 cups (for flour) however for a pound of granulated sugar, it's 2 cups. 4 cups of dry pasta is equal to 1 pound.

These articles below don't answer your question either, but might be useful for you and any readers/lurkers.

How To Compare Cat Foods & Calculate Carbs: Dry Matter Basis
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

Since I don't know your situation, I copied a few other article links for you - they aren't lengthy and have lots of good tips and info.

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members
How Long Can You Safely Keep Cat Food Out For?
Top 5 Brands Of Wet Cat Food Our Members Love The Most
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?
Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)
Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals
Grain-free Cat Food – What Does It Mean?

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since I'm on a budget, I always buy the largest bag of food I can because it costs less per pound. The 4 pound bag would be my preference. It also gives you more wiggle room than the 2 pound in case your kitty takes longer to switch to wet than you think.