Should I Get Rid Of My Cat?

lellophant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Feed him before you go to bed. If you are sitting doing homework...multitask. Either plunk him in you're lap for some loving or do what I do when I'm studying.....learn have to wave a wand toy & read!
Get tons of toys. Rotate them weekly.
That sounds alot like my recipe for entertaining my kitten while studying for exams.

jokieman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HelloISmileYou

All you cat lovers are gonna hate me... but the thing is, my cat's just so mean, I'm thinking of replacing him or getting another pet altogether. He's too old to do some of the things he's doing [he's about 9 months old!]. He's beyond a kitten. He bites, scratches, knocks things down [often breaking them], and gets on the sinks and counters and other places he shouldn't be. The worst part is the biting and scratching... I have scabs, bruises, and scars all up and down my arms from where he's done that.
I did have him fixed, but, that seemed to have no effect... he went back to his old ways within a few days after I had it done. So I'm at a loss. I don't have time for all the behavior modification techniques, as I'm a busy college student. I just want a cat that will behave and curl up in my lap and let me pet him [without biting!]. So what should I do?
If you don't have time to train this cat what makes you think another one won't have other issues that need will need some work and time on your part? Owning a pet is a pretty big responsibility. Your cat is running roughshod over you because he can. You have to teach him that he can't.

There are many many ways to train your cat, most of them are acceptable. If all you want is a cat that you can pet whenever you want and ignore when you are busy, then find a friend with a cat, because you're not ready for the commitment of having your own.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ditto for 9 months still being a kitten. Also ditto for cats calming down around 2. From 6 months until 2 years, they're basically full-size kittens. All of my cats chilled out a little around 2 years old. They chill out even more when they hit 10 years.

Also ditto on training. It really is a lot of work. At 9 months, they're big enough to get into serious trouble, and they don't know any better. Training a cat takes patience. If you start now, you'll have some good results in another year. Don't give up yet. If you need training help, probably make another thread for each thing kitty needs training on, and the people here can help you.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe someone said this...but, the question is should you find another home for your cat, not should you get rid of it. Who knows, maybe he is trying to get rid of you?

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well, if you absolutely can't stand it anymore, maybe you can re-home your kitten with someone who has another cat/kitten for it to play with and learn from. Or maybe on a farm where there are things to hunt, using up some of that energy?
then maybe not get another pet until you have more time to devote to it. (not being mean here, but they are living things and they do require time and money)

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HelloISmileYou

All you cat lovers are gonna hate me... but the thing is, my cat's just so mean, I'm thinking of replacing him or getting another pet altogether. He's too old to do some of the things he's doing [he's about 9 months old!]. He's beyond a kitten. He bites, scratches, knocks things down [often breaking them], and gets on the sinks and counters and other places he shouldn't be. The worst part is the biting and scratching... I have scabs, bruises, and scars all up and down my arms from where he's done that.
I did have him fixed, but, that seemed to have no effect... he went back to his old ways within a few days after I had it done. So I'm at a loss. I don't have time for all the behavior modification techniques, as I'm a busy college student. I just want a cat that will behave and curl up in my lap and let me pet him [without biting!]. So what should I do?
Another vote for "Don't get rid of your cat."

I got my first cat after my 1st year in medical school, and it was tough b/c I'd never had a pet before (parents didn't allow it). He was really hyper the first year or two and he's slowly mellowed out, but once in awhile, he'll get crazy.

There've been cat health crises, things broken, and he walks wherever he wants, but I don't know how I would have gotten through those crappy times in med school w/o him. It may take a lot of work & patience, and your guy may never be a lap cat, but he might be a great companion still.

Good Luck!

P.S. Actually got a 2nd cat before starting 3rd year medical school (to keep him company when I'm on call or have long shifts). The 2nd guy is more hyper, but it's fun to see their 2 personalities. First thing I do when I get back from the hospital is to see what two guys are up to!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As everyone stated above me, you cat at 9 months is still a kitten. They are kittens up to 12months/1 year. Some cats don't mellow down for years. Others, shorter time. I was in college not too long ago. I was still living at home, however, there were weeks at a time where I was the only one home. My last year at the university I was accepted into med tech school. I had school, from 8am to 4 pm straight (no breaks), except lunch, I had house to clean, cook, yard to take care of, bills, not to include many presentations, studying, a project, and taking care of the animals! We had 4 cats at the time, one who was in renal failure, meaning she needed meds on a daily basis, I made sure she ate before I did, and I had to give her subcutaneous fluids a couple times a week. I was extremely busy, but I found time to do this and even spent time with them.
We all know how busy it can get when in school, however, you form a routine, or you make time, even if it is just a little, to make ends meet. Not all cats are going to be lap cats. They all have their own personalities, and all cats deserve love, but you may show each cat love differently.
They all choose who they want to be with. They know who spends time with them, feeds them, etc. Maya is not a lap cat, but she constantly seeks attention. She loves to be brushed, so a lot of time spent with her is playing and brushing. Tedi and Luna absolutely love my mom. They will be all over her.
Lexi was never a lap cat, but she does lay with me while watching tv and sleeps with me at night to the point I can put my arm around her and hug her like a teddy bear. She leaves whenever she wants to go to her little bed.
My point is, if you want a lap cat, you will search for a long time. Cats change all the time, even over time. You can't predict what a cat is like, but only learn who they are. Just because your cat doesn't do or act the way you want it to, doesn't give you the right to just get rid of it. We don't get rid of children because they don't turn out the way we wanted them to. We have to accept them for who they are. I think you should keep the cat and try to work out the problems. If you don't put effort into it, you will get nothing out of it. If you do end up rehoming, I would seriously think about ever adopting another cat. But if you do, remember, let them pick you and not the other way around.

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hiya

Well I would advise you to try and stick with this. Still a kitten, mine over a year old now and still Hypo!!!!!

The thing is ANY pet requires attention and time and to be bluntly honest when you say you only want the kitten to sit on your lap and curl up all the time, it aint gonna happen cos if it did there would be something wrong if thats all the kitten did!!!

Im not having a dig at you at all but what I think is that maybe you should re-think if you have the time for any pets at the mo, they do take up time and in many cases you only get what you give!

I hope things settle down and you find it very rewarding to have the cat, I would suggest what other people have suggested and get loads of toys and play with him. The biting and scratching is only natural, he thinks he is playing!!

Good luck

Claire

xxxx

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wanted a lazy lap cat I would have suggested an old fat cat. 9 months is still very young and is STILL kitten age. In fact your cat is in his prime for acting a fool and getting into things. He's old enough to have good cordination and young enough to be a bother at times. You will either have to deal with his energy for a time or as you said find a new home for him. I would definitely do some research on cats and their behaviors per their age. With time he will grow out of it, but till then you will have to be patient with him.

Stick with this kitty! He will calm down eventually and if you get him some interactive toys he will burn some energy with those. For example you can buy a lazer machiene that goes around in circles and zig zags for your cat to chase...it takes batteries so all you have to do is turn it on!