Should I get my long haired kitten used to bathing?

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello forum!
As some of you already know, I have owned a long haired kitten since he was 6 weeks old. He is now ~ 3 months old and I've never bathed him. He is a strictly indoor only cat, he is black, me and my SO are not allergic, he properly uses the litter with little to no mess and he knows how to clean himself. I've always known that cats keep themselves clean, but he's my first cat and I want to do things right.

I keep reading here and there that some people, especially owners of long haired cats, wash them every few months. Should I do that as well? Do you think it's needed? If that's the case, I would like to get him used to it as soon as possible. Right now I often make him play with water, just to get him used to the fact that it's not something to be scared of, and he enjoys it very much. Should I just continue to do that and bathe him only if/when really needed? He likes water but I don't want him to get traumatized if that's something that coud be avoided, I really don't know what the best path is!

Do cats that play with water like to be bathed?
What is your experience? How do you get a kitten used to bathing, abd how old should he be? is it too late already for a trauma-free bath initiation? I know there's a lot of people here that show their cats, and a bath is in order before showing... I did buy a cat shampoo just in case, because once when he was very little he fell in his poop :D but that time we didn't need to give him a full bath.

He gets groomed every other day, and he doesn't like that very much. Right now his coat does not tend to mat, but maybe that's becayse he still has his kitten fur?

Sorry, I feel so ignorant an stupid sometimes :(

Last edited:

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally chose to go the route of getting my long haired cat used to baths. As a kitten, I gave her baths (usually just with water and pretending to rub shampoo on her) once a month. Now that she is an adult, I do it every 3-4 months and treat heavily. Se has no fear of water and behaves very well while getting a bath because she knows that nothing bad will happen to her.

It becomes a non-issue with them and should the time ever come when they do need a bath (long haired cats and diarrhea don't mix well) or if they get into something they shouldn't (ahem, the fireplace) they don't get stressed out. I look at it as a sort of life skill (just like having their nails clipped).

But that's just my
. He's beautiful by the way.

wolcar

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two long haired cats and I've never bathed them; however, if I could go back in time I would have given them baths if only to get them used to it. I've had a few instances where I had to spend 40 minutes chasing a cat with poo stuck to him.

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mine-are-LH-and-they-only-get-a-bath,when-they-have-a-show,or-if-their-little-bee-hind,on-a-rare-occassion,needs-to-be-rinsed-off.

They-hit-the-circuit-at-4-months-old,so-they-go-to-bath-and-blow-drying-school-at-3-months.They-are-real-squirmy-at-first,but-they-are-so-little,they-can't-get-away.That....is-the-key.When-they-get-bigger,they-think-they-can't-get-away.After-a-few-sessions,they-just-accept-it-and-they-will-just-sit-there.

Clip-their-claws,just-before-the-bath.

I-make-it-a-game,and-talk-to-them,tell-them-what-I-am-doing.We-gots-to-hose-you-down,we-gots-to-do-your-little-tummy,we-gotta-get-your-little-paws-nice-and-white,we-gots-to-washy-your-little-bee-hind,we-gots-to-squigy-you-off,we-gots-to-washy-your-little-facey,etc,you-get-the-picture,LOL.

I-wash-them-in-the-sink,and-use-the-sprayer.You-want-2-clean-soft-towels-on-hand,one-to-set-them-on-when-they-are-done,and-one-to-towel-them-dry.Keep-the-sprayer-on-low,enough-so-you-can-wet-them-down-and-rinse-them-off,but-not-enough,that-it-hits-them-like-a-fire-hose.

You-want-the-water-luke-warm-or-warm,be-very-careful,its-not-too-hot,its-not-like-you-taking-a-shower,LOL.Check-it-on-your-arm,before-you-put-them-in-the-sink.

Be-real-real-careful,you-don't-get-the-soap-or-water-in-their-eyes-or-ears-or-nose.Mine-have-to-have-their-heads-washed,and-its-a-very-careful-process,but-if-your-not-showing,no-need-to-wash-their-head,so-not-going-to-tell-you-how-to-do-it,LOL.

You-want-to-use-just-a-tinneey-dab,and-dilute-it-in-a-cup-of-water,and-pour-it-over-the-kitten,never-use-alot-of-soap,and-never-put-on-full-strength.Its-not-like-washing-your-hair,LOL.

Thee-most-very-important-step,is-to-rinse,rinse,rinse,then-rinse-some-more,to-make-sure-you-get-all-the-soap-and-soap-residue-out,their-fur-is-very-think,short-or-long,then-rinse-some-more.

Another-very-important-step.....never.....let-go-of-them,do-not-let-them-get-loose.If-you-do,its-going-to-be-that-much-harder.This-works,because-they-cannot,get-loose,and-when-they-are-bigger,they-think-they-cannot-get-loose.

Never-use-Hartz,never-use-any-Hartz-products,never-use-Whiskers,have-been-hearing-people-on-here-having-probs.I-use-Jerob,its-a-show-cat-shampoo-and-about-a-zillion-other-conditioners-cream-rinses-and-other-coat-products.I-get-mine-from-the-vendors-at-cat-shows,but-you-can-get-it-online.It-is-a-little-expensive,but-you-only-use-a-little-dab,and-if-your-not-showing,will-last-a-long-time.

Show-kitties-go-thru-a-multiple-more-like-a-zillion-step-process,of-different-kinds-of-shampoos,conditions-and-cream-rinses,LOL.Kittens-take-almost-2-hrs,and-adults-take-3-hrs,just,for-one-kitten-or-cat.

But-your-not-showing,LOL,so-you-don't-need-all-those-steps,LOL.

I-feel-its-a-good-idea,to-teach-the-kittens-to-have-a-bath,you-just-never-know,when-you-might-have-to-give-them-one,or-rinse-off-their-little-bee-hind.

Mine-just-sit-there,start-to-finish.

Then-rinse-some-more,LOL.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get my cat used to bathing, but it probably would've been good. Being long hair means that every once in a while there's going to be an accident with Number 2. My kitty gets frantic if I have to bathe her, so I try to avoid it--wet/damp paper towels, even trimming some of the mess off, but sometimes it's just worked in that so much a bath is the best remedy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! After reading your advices I think I'll give it a try... I'm a little worried, though, Fletcher is one strong willed kitten and he already hates being groomed :(
Mine-are-LH-and-they-only-get-a-bath,when-they-have-a-show,or-if-their-little-bee-hind,on-a-rare-occassion,needs-to-be-rinsed-off.

They-hit-the-circuit-at-4-months-old,so-they-go-to-bath-and-blow-drying-school-at-3-months.They-are-real-squirmy-at-first,but-they-are-so-little,they-can't-get-away.That....is-the-key.When-they-get-bigger,they-think-they-can't-get-away.After-a-few-sessions,they-just-accept-it-and-they-will-just-sit-there.

Clip-their-claws,just-before-the-bath.

I-make-it-a-game,and-talk-to-them,tell-them-what-I-am-doing.We-gots-to-hose-you-down,we-gots-to-do-your-little-tummy,we-gotta-get-your-little-paws-nice-and-white,we-gots-to-washy-your-little-bee-hind,we-gots-to-squigy-you-off,we-gots-to-washy-your-little-facey,etc,you-get-the-picture,LOL.

I-wash-them-in-the-sink,and-use-the-sprayer.You-want-2-clean-soft-towels-on-hand,one-to-set-them-on-when-they-are-done,and-one-to-towel-them-dry.Keep-the-sprayer-on-low,enough-so-you-can-wet-them-down-and-rinse-them-off,but-not-enough,that-it-hits-them-like-a-fire-hose.

You-want-the-water-luke-warm-or-warm,be-very-careful,its-not-too-hot,its-not-like-you-taking-a-shower,LOL.Check-it-on-your-arm,before-you-put-them-in-the-sink.

Be-real-real-careful,you-don't-get-the-soap-or-water-in-their-eyes-or-ears-or-nose.Mine-have-to-have-their-heads-washed,and-its-a-very-careful-process,but-if-your-not-showing,no-need-to-wash-their-head,so-not-going-to-tell-you-how-to-do-it,LOL.

You-want-to-use-just-a-tinneey-dab,and-dilute-it-in-a-cup-of-water,and-pour-it-over-the-kitten,never-use-alot-of-soap,and-never-put-on-full-strength.Its-not-like-washing-your-hair,LOL.

Thee-most-very-important-step,is-to-rinse,rinse,rinse,then-rinse-some-more,to-make-sure-you-get-all-the-soap-and-soap-residue-out,their-fur-is-very-think,short-or-long,then-rinse-some-more.

Another-very-important-step.....never.....let-go-of-them,do-not-let-them-get-loose.If-you-do,its-going-to-be-that-much-harder.This-works,because-they-cannot,get-loose,and-when-they-are-bigger,they-think-they-cannot-get-loose.

Never-use-Hartz,never-use-any-Hartz-products,never-use-Whiskers,have-been-hearing-people-on-here-having-probs.I-use-Jerob,its-a-show-cat-shampoo-and-about-a-zillion-other-conditioners-cream-rinses-and-other-coat-products.I-get-mine-from-the-vendors-at-cat-shows,but-you-can-get-it-online.It-is-a-little-expensive,but-you-only-use-a-little-dab,and-if-your-not-showing,will-last-a-long-time.

Show-kitties-go-thru-a-multiple-more-like-a-zillion-step-process,of-different-kinds-of-shampoos,conditions-and-cream-rinses,LOL.Kittens-take-almost-2-hrs,and-adults-take-3-hrs,just,for-one-kitten-or-cat.

But-your-not-showing,LOL,so-you-don't-need-all-those-steps,LOL.

I-feel-its-a-good-idea,to-teach-the-kittens-to-have-a-bath,you-just-never-know,when-you-might-have-to-give-them-one,or-rinse-off-their-little-bee-hind.

Mine-just-sit-there,start-to-finish.

Then-rinse-some-more,LOL.
I want to thank especially you for your long and informative answer! Fletcher is not a pure bred kitten, but even if he was I don't think I'd show him. However your post is full of useful points! He is not a very patient kitten and I am not a very firm owner... But he does like playing with water, so that might help... right? How do you tell if a kitten really likes water or if it's just curiousity?

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I-don't-think-it-matters-so-much,if-they-like-water-or-not,LOL.One-of-my-kittens-used-to-sit-in-the-shower-stall-with-me-and-let-the-edge-of-the-water-fall-on-him,played-with-it,and-at-the-show-hotel,he-walked-around-the-edge-of-the-bathtub,I-thought-he-was-going-to-jump-in,LOL,and-he-took-the-longest,to-graduate-from-bath-school.He-got,real-squirmy,when-we-got-to-tummies.

I-think-its-more-of-teaching-and-training-them,to-accept-any-situation,you-put-them-in,and-know,they-trust-you-enough,that-no-harm-will-come-to-them,so-they-just-accept-it-and-do-it.

Same-kitten,took-longer-than-the-others,to-graduate-from-clipping-claws-school.I-had-to-keep-putting-him-on-his-back.I-tell-them,mommy-always-wins,and-we-are-going-to-do-this.

Mine-are-highly-trained,they-started-as-8-week-old-kittens,they-have-to-be-highly-trained-to-accept-all-that-is-involved-with-showing.They-are-very-well-behaved,for-the-judges,for-the-vet.They-accept-any-situation-they-are-put-into,and-do-what-they-are-trained-to-do.

Saved-their-lifes-at-one-show-hotel,their-very-first-one.

We-hadn't-been-there-5-min,had-just-let-them-out-of-their-carrier,to-explore-the-room,and-the-fire-alarm-went-off.They-ran-under-the-bed.

Moment-of-panic.

Then-I-remembered-they-were-taught-to-load.I-put-the-carrier-on-the-floor,by-the-bed,and-opened-the-door,in-they-ran.They-did-what-they-were-taught-to-do,even-tho-they-were-scared,they-accepted-any-situation,and-yielded,to-their-training.They-were-only-7-months-old.It-saved-their-lifes.

It-doesn't-matter-if-they-are-show-kitties-or-not,you-can-still-train-them.You-teach-them-one-thing-at-a-time,and-you-progress-at-their-speed,some-learn-quicker,some-learn-slower.Its-not-a-race.I-get-mine-at-8-weeks-old,by-16-weeks,they-are-ready-to-hit-the-circuit.

Be-very-glad-to-teach-you-how-to-train-Fletcher-to-be-groomed.

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I-don't-think-it-matters-so-much,if-they-like-water-or-not,LOL.One-of-my-kittens-used-to-sit-in-the-shower-stall-with-me-and-let-the-edge-of-the-water-fall-on-him,played-with-it,and-at-the-show-hotel,he-walked-around-the-edge-of-the-bathtub,I-thought-he-was-going-to-jump-in,LOL,and-he-took-the-longest,to-graduate-from-bath-school.He-got,real-squirmy,when-we-got-to-tummies.

I-think-its-more-of-teaching-and-training-them,to-accept-any-situation,you-put-them-in,and-know,they-trust-you-enough,that-no-harm-will-come-to-them,so-they-just-accept-it-and-do-it.

Same-kitten,took-longer-than-the-others,to-graduate-from-clipping-claws-school.I-had-to-keep-putting-him-on-his-back.I-tell-them,mommy-always-wins,and-we-are-going-to-do-this.

Mine-are-highly-trained,they-started-as-8-week-old-kittens,they-have-to-be-highly-trained-to-accept-all-that-is-involved-with-showing.They-are-very-well-behaved,for-the-judges,for-the-vet.They-accept-any-situation-they-are-put-into,and-do-what-they-are-trained-to-do.

Saved-their-lifes-at-one-show-hotel,their-very-first-one.

We-hadn't-been-there-5-min,had-just-let-them-out-of-their-carrier,to-explore-the-room,and-the-fire-alarm-went-off.They-ran-under-the-bed.

Moment-of-panic.

Then-I-remembered-they-were-taught-to-load.I-put-the-carrier-on-the-floor,by-the-bed,and-opened-the-door,in-they-ran.They-did-what-they-were-taught-to-do,even-tho-they-were-scared,they-accepted-any-situation,and-yielded,to-their-training.They-were-only-7-months-old.It-saved-their-lifes.

It-doesn't-matter-if-they-are-show-kitties-or-not,you-can-still-train-them.You-teach-them-one-thing-at-a-time,and-you-progress-at-their-speed,some-learn-quicker,some-learn-slower.Its-not-a-race.I-get-mine-at-8-weeks-old,by-16-weeks,they-are-ready-to-hit-the-circuit.

Be-very-glad-to-teach-you-how-to-train-Fletcher-to-be-groomed.
Wow. Do you think 13 weeks old is too late to teach him? You know, he wasn't a "planned" kitten :D I wanted one but because of my lifestyle I was looking for an adult. Then... Fletcher happened. That's why I got him so young, but I was kind of unprepared to deal with a kitten and since he is alone all day while I'm at work I tend to be super-nice to him when we are together and I don't want to stress him too much with stuff he doesn't want to do... Is that understandable or am I just a terrible kitten mother? :(

(please don't tell me to get another kitten as his companion... I did all the math and I cannot afford it right now, and I battle the sense of guilt every day. However in a few weeks my boyfriend will start working from home as a freelance, so Fletcher won't be alone much longer! Yay!)

Anyway, I'd like him to get used to:

- grooming

- claws clipping

- letting me sleep after 5 am if that's not too much to ask 

You sound like a wonderful kitten mommy! What breeds do you show?

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you are mistaken, my lady, those are not kittens! Those are clearly fluffy balls of cuteness! 

I'm going to set up his grooming school spot right now :) and, by the way, I live in Italy so I don't know those brands of cat shampoo you mentioned, but I bought this one. How do I know if it's ok?

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks!LOL!
They-are-very-good-little-boys.Fletcher-is-a-real-cute-little-boy-too,he-looks-very-inquizative,and-very-smart.I-love-his-color,hard-to-tell-from-the-picture,is-he-black?Way-cool-to-talk-to-someone-from-another-country!

First-the-shampoo,I-would-not-use-it,if-its-not-opened,take-it-back.It-says-Macadamia-Oil,macadamia-nuts-are-toxic-to-kitties.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1&aid=1029

I-use-Jerob.

http://www.jerob.com/Online-Store/pc-48/Shampoo

Fletcher-Grooming-101

Just-remember,this-is-not-an-overnight-process,it-takes-time-and-patience.We-do-this-slowly,so-they-almost-don't-even-know-what-is-going-on,and-we-make-it-a-fun-and-positive-experience.Your-also-instilling-the-basic,of-what-your-going-to-build-on,and-that-is-they-accept-handling,and-yield-to-their-mommy,same-as-they-learned-from-their-momma-kitty.You-are-the-head-of-the-pride,and-your-word-is-law.You-build-on-this,and-you-can-do-anything-with-them,and-teach-them-anything.Fletcher-must-graduate-grooming-school,before-he-can-go-to-bath-school,or-claw-clipping-school.

Whatever-grooming-spot-you-picked,use-it-each-and-every-time,consistancy-is-the-key.

Put-a-treatie-on-his-grooming-spot,go-get-him,walk-slowly-pet-him,and-talk-to-him,tell-him-all-the-cool-stuff-he-is-going-to-learn,and-set-him-on-his-grooming-spot,so-he-can-see-the-treatie.

Then-pet-him,as-you-would,if-you-are-brushing-him,for-like-a-minute,don't-let-him-get-down,this-is-crucial,never-let-him-go-until-you-are-done,he-is-learning,mommy-always-wins.Then-give-him-another-treatie,and-let-go-of-him.He-just-learned,grooming-spot-equals-treaties,nothing-bad-happened-to-him.

You-can-repeat-this-several-times-a-day,just-keep-it-real-short-at-first,don't-forget-the-treaties,and-don't-let-him-get-down,until-you-say-so.

When-he-will-stand-there-by-himself,for-the-whole-minute,without-trying-to-get-down,you-slowly-increase-the-time,by-a-minute,and-work-up-to-5-minutes-of-him-standing-there-by-himself.You-are-teaching-him-to-"stay".

When-you-make-it-to-5-minutes,then-you-start-using-the-human-soft-baby-brush,you-are-subsituting,the-brush,for-your-hand.

You-start-the-process-all-over-again,brush-him-slowly,along-his-head,and-his-body,for-a-min,then-work-up-to-5-min,do-not-let-him-chew-on-the-brush.

When-he-has-accepted-this,standing,there,not-trying-to-get-down,letting-you-brush-him,then-you-move-to-the-comb.

The-petting-and-the-baby-brush-are-actions,to-get-him-used-to-the-feeling-of-being-groomed,the-treaties-make-it-a-positve-experience,and-he-has-just-learned-the-basics-of-being-handled,and-staying-where-his-mommy-put-him.

This-process-can-take-several-days,it-can-take-weeks,you-have-to-let-him-progress-at-his-own-speed,of-learning-to-stand-there,until-you-let-him-get-down.One-day-the-light-bulb-goes-on,and-he-figures-out,he-has-to-stand-there.Expect-him-to-be-squirmy-at-first,they-all-are,just.....do-not-let-go-of-him.If-he-should-get-loose,go-get-him,and-continue-with-the-lesson.

If-you-let-him-get-down-before-the-end-of-the-lesson,he-just-learned,if-he-squirms-enough,he-will-get-loose.You-have-to-be-firm,remember-and-I-tell-them,mommy-always-wins,and-we-are-going-to-do-this,LOL.

Go-to-the-dollor-store-and-get-the-packet-of-combs-in-the-different-sizes.

Start-with-the-smallest-one,and-start-the-lessons-again,comb-him-for-a-min,then-let-him-go,gradually-increasing-the-amount-of-time.

When-he-has-accepted-this,then-you-can-progress-to-combing-tummies,and-back-ends,and-between-his-back-legs.Same-thing,start-slowly,and-increase-the-time.

When-he-accepts,standing-there-being-combed-all-over,then-he-has-graduated,grooming-school,and-then-he-can-go-to-bath-school-and-claw-clipping-school,LOL.My-kittens-picked-it-up-pretty-quickly,because-I-never-let-go-of-them,they-couldn't-get-away,so-as-they-got-bigger,they-thought,they-cannot-get-away,mommy-always-wins,LOL.

If-you-want-to,paw-mail-me-and-I-will-give-you-my-email,for-when-Fletcher-is-ready-for-bath-school,LOL.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a great thread, some very helpful posts, Flint!
I am in awe of longhair exhibitors.
and I love those red classic tabby MC kittens!

& Fletcher looks adorable! I will stay tuned to find out about his bath school!

chiarabab

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So I checked and my shampoo doesn't have macadamia oil, it's only the same brand. Good thing though that you told me, we often eat macadamias around here and I'll pay attention to him.

He just completed the first class of grooming school! :D Such a good boy, he ate all of his treats then tried to get away, but I was dead set on keeping him there until the moment *I* decided to let him get down. I feel like this might be a long process but not that hard, he is strong willed but he's also a sweet kitten. 

thank you very much! I don't want to bother you in private since other forum member might find useful your tips and instructions, so if you feel like sharing some other secret I'd love to read them here. If those are indeed secrets, however, I'll paw-mail you to get them all! :D

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two Silver Shaded Chinchilla Persians. I bath them about every 6 weeks. I started bathing them as soon as I brought them home. They hated It!!!! I had a old leather coat I wore as the would grab me with claws and dig right in untill they had reached my shoulders!!!! They have number 2 accidents sometimes also so they must have a quick under the water bum wash! Now there resigned they don't like it but the sit and let me wash them..This is my babies inside their cat fence..

View media item 132877

frappe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG SO beautiful! One of the prettiest cat colors in my opinion... And it looks like you take SUCH good care of their coats. Aww <3

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fletcher's-first-day-at-school,yipeee,did-ya-take-pictures,LOL.

I-am-very-proud-of-you-too,ya-didn't-let-him-go,until-"you"-were-ready,LOL.

You-set-the-treatie-on-his-grooming-school-spot,set-him-down,give-him-his-lesson,then-when-you-are-ready-to-let-him-go,give-him-another-treatie,that-way,he-is-standing-still,when-you-let-go-of-him-and-not-squirming.You-don't-ever-want-them-to-think,they-got-loose,because-they-squirmed,they-will-be-that-much-more-squirmy-next-time.

Ya.....this-is-a-long-and-tedious-process,but.....your-teaching-them,not-forcing-them.Yes,you-can-hold-him-down-and-force-them-to-be-groomed-or-bathed,your-bigger-than-them.But-what-have-you-really-taught-them.....nothing.....and-you-have-nothing-to-build-on.They-do-it-because-they-are-forced-to.

Better-to-teach-and-train-them,to-do-it-because-you-asked-them.Grooming-school,is-building-the-basics-of-being-handled,and-you-build-on-that,then-you-can-teach-them-anything.

You-are-making-this-a-fun-and-positive-learning-experience,and-most-important,they-learn,nothing-bad-happened-to-them,so-in-a-bad-situation,they-will-yield-to-their-training,because.....nothing-bad-happened-to-them.The-fire-alarm-in-the-show-hotel,is-a-perfect-example,the-kittens-yielded-to-their-training.

You,is-just-a-general-you,LOL.

We-are-also-going-to-teach-Fletcher,words-and-sentences,and-he-will-understand-what-they-mean,and-do-them.Mine-know-a-plethera-of-words-and-sentences.

Grooming-school,is-teaching-the-basics,that-you-build-on.

We-can-also,if-you-want,send-Fletcher-to-Loading-school,and-Go-For-A-Ride-School.We-prob-don't-need-to-send-him-to-Blow-Drying-School,LOL.

I-am-very-happy-to-share-my-training-secrets.....for-free,LOL....so-it-may-help-others-reading-too,LOL.One-thing-I-won't-share,is-the-exact-products-and-steps,I-use-to-wash-them.......that.....costs-a-quarter.And-thats-cash-money,no-checks,LOL.

I-just-meant,let-me-know,when-Fletcher-has-graduated-Grooming-School,so-he-can-go-to-Bath-School.

I-think-he-is-a-black-smoke-too,very-very-pretty,I-loved-looking-at-his-pictures,I-was-going-to-ask-you-to-put-some-up.Almost-forgot,ya-gotta-do-his-little-Report-Card,gotta-tell-us-how-he-is-progressing.You-can-do-his-lessons,several-times-a-day.You-get-an-A+.

maewkaew,ya.....washing-the-LH's-for-shows-is-quite-the-project,LOL,its-almost-3-hrs,start-to-finish,for-just-one-cat,and-I-think-it-takes-the-Persian-people,even-longer,LOL.I-envy-the-SH-people,takes-them-like-only-an-hour,and-they-don't-have-to-blow-dry-and-comb-them-out.At-the-shows,takes-the-SH-people-only-a-few-min-to-groom-them,they-are-walking-around-with-their-coffee,me,I-am-still-combing-them-out,knowing-I-can't-have-any-coffee,until-after-my-first-ring,LOL.Don't-come-across-too-many-people,that-actually-knows,what-a-classic-tabby-is,LOL.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@ Flint I know, I am one of those SH exhibitors walking around with their coffee.

and as for baths, I know I have it MUCH easier! Not so many steps involved Not just shorthair but a single coat. so makes it easier to rinse and everything.
and no blow drying since we want the coat to lie flat.

& regular daily grooming is just petting them!

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ya......LOL.....I-am-pretty-jealous.

On-a-rare-occassion,will-be-benched-next-to-a-couple,wife-is-grooming-the-kitty,husband-is-bored,walking-around,gets-his-wife-coffee,feels-sorry-for-me-and-will-get-me-some-coffee-too.Most-of-the-time,you-know-about-when-your-ring-is-coming-up,even-with-8-rings-going,sca-roos-me,when-they-change-the-schedule,at-the-last-minute.SH's-just-take-them-out-of-the-cage,me,I-gotta-comb-them-out,judge-lookin-at-me,like,your-late,LOL.

And-we-all-know,which-judge,ya-NEVER-want-to-be-late-for-his-ring,for-"any"-reason,ya-get-real-punished,LOL.

Poor-Fletcher,gotta-do-his-own-laundry,and-has-to-sleep-on-the-hard-tile,LOL,thinky-he-should-come-on-down-here,and-sleep-on-softy-kitty-blankies,and-get-treated-like-a-King,LOL.

Would-love-to-see-more-pictures-of-him,he-is-so-pretty!