Should I get a second cat?

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Julie,

you defiitely know what will be best for you and Clyde, so do not feel bad at all! second, your clyde sounds alot like my Ebony i personality. My boyfriend and I have been debating (and arguing) back and forth about whether or not a sibling would be a good idea. Right now he works night and I work days so Ebony almost always has someone at home. Next week however, my boyfriend starts working days too, so Eb will be left home alone for awhile.

We decided for us, it would be a good time to get another cat to keep her company. But the decision was NOT an easy one. I too have my apprehensions because I love the relationship we have built with Ebony already. I hope it stays strong when we add another kitty into the mix.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but i just wanted to tell you that i am sure the decision you are making will be the right one for you right now.

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Juleigh

Thank you all so much for your wonderful advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. Sadly, I decided against the kitten.
I can't believe I am even saying that after every single person who replied thought it would be a good idea -- but I just still don't feel right about it. I love my relationship with Clyde and I am just too fearful that will change. He is my buddy, he follows me around in the mornings when I get ready for work, and talks to me while I make dinner. Then relaxes with his dad and watches TV in the evening. We are just so happy with Clyde and are too scared to risk a change. I feel terribly guilty. I am working on finding another home for this kitten and his little sibling, hopefully we can keep them together, and that would definitely lesson the guilt. Again I really appreciate the advice. Please don't think I am rude for not taking it. I really enjoy this forum and plan on sticking around.

Julie
Julie,

You need to go with what your gut feeling is.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you're sticking around, even though you're not taking our advice! Lol!

No, like others have said - go with your gut. If you don't feel it's right to get a new kitten now, don't... maybe some day you'll change your mind! I have two cats now (we only got Max a few months ago) and there are some days I miss the way Baylee used to be... but I love Max and I wouldn't give him up for anything!

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't feel guilty. You do need to do what is best for you and your kitty. Actually, when we got our first cat we had planned only one but unlike your very loveable, affectionate kitty who seems to thrive in a one kitty household, our cat seemed to very much need another cat. We were very much right and having another cat/s really helped him. Every cat is different! Your kitty sounds very happy and so do you so that is good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juleigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for being supportive! It REALLY makes me feel less guilty about our decision. Ray (the boyfriend) loves Clyde very much but he isn't a cat person, so the decision wasn't so hard for him. And of course my sister and parents were hoping I would go for it, of course they were OK with me say no, but they weren't very supportive either, they kept saying Clyde will be OK, and I know he would be OK, but maybe not be the same. So it really helped for me to read your replies. It was a very tuff decision, especially since having Clyde has been such a wonderful experience. However, I am very glad we have decided I seriously sleep better with this off my mind.

Julie

glowbugm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i think it depends on the cat. is it a cat's cat, a real sociable guy, or a people cat, owning it's humans exclusively and preferring their company to other cats. in my case, i love my second cat, and did all the introduction things, and then some, and they still hate each other and they are neither happy with each other, to say the least. but, they were both rescues, used to protecting themselves and defending their territory, and one is a siamese, known for being the boss of other cats. she was 8 months when she appeared. i sometimes think the boy keeps attacking cause he thinks "that damn woman will just not shut up" (she is a siamese)....i have heard it is nice to match them up--if you have a high cat, get a low cat (i did that, didn't help in my case) i also think it helps if the first cat thinks the second cat is his cat, not your cat....i love my second cat, but it is hard on them, hating each other, and i am glad you are trusting your gut.

nippers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Second cats are great!! As are the eight and ninth one!! We went from 0 to 9 in two years. =)

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hiya Juleigh!! We welcome you to the lovely world of TCS,, I love the place,,the people are true gems. My name is Stevie and I am so happy to make your aquaintence. I have a one cat household but I cheat. That it, I do only have one cat, my beautiful Conner. But my friend's cat Ezra, comes over nearly every other day to play for hours on end. I truly believe that Conner would not want another cat. I have lived with roommates with others, and Conner was very unhappy. The only cat he has ever liked was Ezra, so we made them playmates. But your Clyde, he doesnt sound as though he is as needy as my Conner (and by needy I mean a tripping, meowing, bugging little pest that insists that he should be the only thing of importance in my life,lol) Clyde may very well be nervous at first, but might grow to really enjoy having a roommate, but if you do get another,,dont judge the relationship immediately, Im sure it will begin as precipitous,,just give sweet Clyde some time. Again, Conner and I welcome you and Clyde, and possibly the new kitten,, to TCS!!! Please post some pictures of your handsome boy whenever you can!!!!

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOOpps,,I didnt read all the way through and I posted,,,well, CONGRATS on your decision, Meowmie's decisions are usually made out of love and concern, and I am sure that your decision was the right one for your Clyde!!!!!