should I get a FOURTH?!

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Currently my husband and I have 3 cats. My Japanese bobtail I got when I was single in 2004. A Maine Coon, Samson we got together in 2007. Then because we love him so much, we got his half brother, Sebastian, from the same breeder this summer.
I figured that would definitely be it for us until we move to a bigger place (right now we're in a 1300 sq foot apt).
But when were at the breeder picking up Sebastian I met Sebastian's mom, who is the sweetest patched tabby (I have a weakness for calicos, torties and patched tabbies) Within a few minutes of meeting us she snuggled in our arms and wrapped her paws around my neck (awww)
Our breeder mentioned that she's actually considering retiring her as a breeder and adopting her out as a pet.
Of course I totally want her, but is it crazy to get a fourth cat so soon?!
Does 4 really feel that much different than 3?
My husband is leaving the choice up to me which almost makes it harder!

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think four will be much different than three. If you have the room and the finances, I'd say go for it.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's all about if you can handle a 4th financially and physically, and your husband is 100% accepting of it if you choose to adopt her. Mine left getting our 3rd up to me, and I took that as a go ahead
He HAD to know if he left it up to me, there'd be another when he got home.

Never had 4 cats at a time, I don't imagine it can be that much different than 3, just extra in yearly vet care requirements.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many ex-breeding cats have specific requirements for their new homes so you'd need to talk with the breeder before going too far with planning on taking the ex-queen.

If you can afford the extra living expenses of having 4 cats, then why not add another.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
If you can afford it, including the extra vet expenses, take the little girl home with you. That's always been my big issue....we know we can take care of six cats financially. Never been so sure about 7.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told a long time ago its better to have an even number of pets because they can pair off and no one is left out. So yeah, get the 4th

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course I'm going to say go for it. Like others have said though, only if you are able to completely provide both financially AND emotionally.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 6, so of course I'm going to say, "Why on earth would you stop at 3?"

Unless there's a huge problem with finances or she has an undisclosed health problem, go get that little girl! It's obvious she already loves you!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you can provide for any medical/financial concerns, provide proper food of a good quality, and devote enough time to each kitty, I say go for it!

Also, be prepared to add additional litter pans,etc and to do slow, proper introductions so that your existing kitties and the new kitty adjust well with as few problems as possible.