Should I get a 3rd cat?!!!!

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As any cat owner knows, they are quite addicting. My two girls are finally healthy and in a good state. They are both slightly under a year old — adopted a few months apart. Something has been telling me to adopt another baby but I’m concerned 3 would be a bad number. I also live in a house that is slightly less than 800 square feet! Any input would be appreciated, as I don’t want to make any rash decisions 🩷🩷🩷🩷

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We had two very bonded kittens, a brother and sister, and were perfectly happy with those two. Then our friend who worked at the SPCA told us about a slightly older kitten who had been at the SPCA too long and wondered if we were interested in a third. We’d never considered a third but this little guy tugged at our heartstrings. We took him in and never regretted it. They got along great to the point we called them The Three Amigos.

Your mileage may vary :lol: and only you know if your home can accommodate three kitties and if you can afford them but…if you think you can and your heart is telling you to, go for it. (Not that we’re enablers around here or anything…) ;)

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As any cat owner knows, they are quite addicting. My two girls are finally healthy and in a good state. They are both slightly under a year old — adopted a few months apart. Something has been telling me to adopt another baby but I’m concerned 3 would be a bad number. I also live in a house that is slightly less than 800 square feet! Any input would be appreciated, as I don’t want to make any rash decisions 🩷🩷🩷🩷
I adopted a Mom and Daughter pair in Feb. One about 5 months and the other 1 yr 8 mos. Both are like kittens as far as energy is concerned. If you are able to keep up with the energy level of young kittens, the litter hefting and the $$ of good food and toys,and time to spend keeping them interested, then why not? :lovecat: :lovecat::lovecat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had two very bonded kittens, a brother and sister, and were perfectly happy with those two. Then our friend who worked at the SPCA told us about a slightly older kitten who had been at the SPCA too long and wondered if we were interested in a third. We’d never considered a third but this little guy tugged at our heartstrings. We took him in and never regretted it. They got along great to the point we called them The Three Amigos.

Your mileage may vary :lol: and only you know if your home can accommodate three kitties and if you can afford them but…if you think you can and your heart is telling you to, go for it. (Not that we’re enablers around here or anything…) ;)
Love this!!! We met a sweety I fell in love with so friendly 1 yr old female. All black very fluffy and VERY social. After the helper left the room for my boyfriend and I to talk, he came back and said she wasn’t good with other cats which seemed odd to me as again she was so sociable. She also must have been recently spayed and after picking her up her incision leaked on me, I hope they tend to it as I made it a point. If she’s still available in a few days I will actively pursue her. I already can’t stop thinking about her 😫😭

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous, but do take care. If your existing cats already have a good relationship, bringing in another one might disrupt that. That being said, all should be good if you do a slow, careful intro. Might it be worth asking the shelter for more details on why they think she's not good with other cats?

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's gorgeous, but do take care. If your existing cats already have a good relationship, bringing in another one might disrupt that. That being said, all should be good if you do a slow, careful intro. Might it be worth asking the shelter for more details on why they think she's not good with other cats?
Not sure if this is accurate or not but the younger the cat is, shouldn’t it be possible to “break” any bad habit such as not being able to be around other cats? I would think it’d be much harder to have a cat 5-10 yrs plus trying to change that behavior.

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe so, but I'm not an expert. I'd say if you do go ahead, tread carefully and take things slow with the introductions. I assume you have somewhere you can use as a sanctuary room? All going well, I'd never say three was a crowd - just more potential cat hijinks!

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I believe so, but I'm not an expert. I'd say if you do go ahead, tread carefully and take things slow with the introductions. I assume you have somewhere you can use as a sanctuary room? All going well, I'd never say three was a crowd - just more potential cat hijinks!
Appreciate your input! I can’t stop thinking about this girlie. Already have a name picked out. My current babes are Rue and Rory. The new addition would be Remi! we definitely have separating space, I think to be honest introducing a new cat in general is ALWAYS a risk. wish I had a farm and could adopt all the lovies!!!!

KittyCat_chitchat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Me too, but such is life! Another thing I'd say would be to think about how the shelter cat's personality came across to you, versus your existing cats' personalities, and be honest with yourself about whether they'd get on. Having said which, I'm hardly one to preach this. I brought in a second adult rescue on my existing one and soon found out they could not have been more different - timid, sensitive resident male versus confident, hyper-energetic incoming female. Introducing them wasn't without setbacks, but six months on and they're touching noses and washing each other! Anyway, keep us posted on what you decide.

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can never have to many cats