Should I foster a dog while having a cat?

katy57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten, he is 7 months old. he is very playful, emotional and lovely!

the thing is most of the day I am out at work, I am not sure how much he gets bored when I am not home!? 

I was thinking I bring a homeless dog, it could be a help to him, also my kitty would have a friend to play with during the day. Do you think that's what will happen?

I really want to help a homeless dog, at the same time I like my kitten be happy, I don’t want he feels jealous. also I don’t know the dog will feel alone because I won’t be home all day?!

Could you please advise?

thanks,

K.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bringing a dog and a cat together is a fairly long process.   www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-dogs

It would not be fair to the kitten to have a dog brought in while he is adjusting and growing up.  Is he neutered?  If not, the "intruder" could cause him to spray everything in sight.

It would also not be fair to the dog to be brought into the house and then isolated or crated while you are at work.

I applaud
your wanting to help both your cat and a homeless dog, but if not done right you are asking for problems for both of them.  If you really want a companion for your cat, get another cat about the same age from the shelter.  Even then, you are going to have to introduce them properly.   www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

Have both cats spayed or neutered, and after the introduction process, prepare for a couple of furry tornados.  S&S (littermates) are about 1 1/2 years old and act like 3 month old kittens most of the time.

crystal139

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on the personality of tha dog n cat..i have a yorkie and my cat tha havent figured out if they are the same species or not..lol..they share food toys ect..i just tried it and it worked...i do know some cats hate dogs and vice versa..its a great thing ur doing i get alotta enjoyment outta both of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katy57

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for the advice.

is it better to bring another male cat or female cat?

also my cat is not neutered yet, it is male, and doesnt go out of the apartment and doesnt have the bad habit ... so I am not sure if I neuter him. i dont want he go through pain for the operation. Maybe I decide to neuter him in a few months though..

Does it matter is he is neutered If I bring a female sprayed cat? or another male cat?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually neutering is a relatively easy simple procedure for male cats. They often don't have to stay the night and there is no big incition like in females. He is also 7 months so there should be no issue. When my sister had her tabby neutered at 6 months he came home the same day and acted like nothing happened.

I would not get another cat until you get your kitten fixed as being intact will make him more aggressive to the newcomer- breeders have to keep un- neutered males separated from the other cats because the will try to mate with the females and attack the males.

When you get your cat fixed either gender should work and I think personality is more important- if he is alpha try to get a more submissive cat. My male cat got along very well with my sisters male tabby because my cat is really submissive. He loved my sisters cat soo much but he sadly died a few months ago so we are getting him a new kitten this time a female to boss him around lol.

I agree with the above posts another cat is probably best since you are at work most of the day. Cats and dogs do get along and can be friends but dogs really shouldn't be left alone all day. Also if this homeless dog is older and not used to cats it may be hard for them to make friends.