Should I force feed my cat who has the feline panleukopenia virus?

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 months old kitten was diagnosed with FPV. She hasn’t eaten anything in 5 days. She sporadically vomits. The treatment is on going. They give her saline twice a day, antibiotics in the mornings, antiemetic meds. She has hemorrhagic diarrhea. So for 4 days the treatment had been on going. But her health seems to decline day by day. I read in some articles that feeding should be persistent amidst mild vomiting too. She has zero appetite. Should I force feed her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so, the vet said to refrain from giving her anything if she vomits. So for the first 4 days, we gave her nothing. did Offer her some chicken broth and she did drink a little bit. But that’s it. And the thing is, the vet seems so unenthusiastic about our case, like they are treating it as if it’s nothing. Whereas it’s one of the most deadliest viruses for felines. As I said before, her condition is declining by the day. And I’m very very worried.
I saw the instructional video of Kitten Lady on YouTube where I’d mentioned the importance of eating for a cat with FPV. I also read a few articles that I will link below of you wish to see that also said that eating is important.

1. Successful Treatment of Feline Panleukopenia: A Guideline For Rescuers and Veterinarians, Part I | SciTechnol

2.Feline Panleukopenia - Generalized Conditions - MSD Veterinary Manual

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you talk to the vet regarding giving her something to help her hopefully stop being nauseous and stop the vomiting? Then, if yes, ask them about continuing with the broth, unflavored pedialyte and possibly some kitten glop, before progressing to anything more although you could try human meat baby food, mixed with the broth.

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is being given some antiemetic meds from the start to stop the vomiting. It is given in the morning and it does seem to work. She doesn’t vomit often, maybe once a day. I think it happens when the med starts to wear off. They said I could give broth but the thing is, she will not eat on her own. She would hunch over the water bowl and just sit. I know that it’s common in FPV suffering cats. My initial question was, can I feed her with a Syringe
and thank you for the baby food recommendation I’ll try it. Also I couldn’t find any pedialyte in my country.
Also will it be okay to give boiled chicken blended into a thin paste?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She would hunch over the water bowl and just sit.
This typically indicates nausea, so perhaps they can try something different?

lso will it be okay to give boiled chicken blended into a thin paste?
yes, but I would blend the thin paste with broth. You'll need to go very slowly with reintroducing food to her stomach.

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This typically indicates nausea, so perhaps they can try something different?
Unfortunately I live in Bangladesh and it isn’t the most developed country. The are under qualified and limitedly informed. When they first told me that my cat had FPV, they said she had “cat flu” (which is in reality a comparatively mild illness and not FPV at all) and acted as if it was no big deal. As if A few injections will bring her around. And it’s my own fault that I didn’t understand the grievousness of it. But then I researched about it. And the first thing was how deadly and how high it’s mortality rate was. The vets didn’t even tell us that. So I guess my point in all this history is that they don’t really have anything else to give her and they don’t even care. Most vets in my country are like this unfortunately. Please pray for my little girl, she needs it.

Ps. They told us not to give her anything unless she stops vomiting completely so we didn’t for 4 days(besides the broth. But it’s very likely in cats to not have any appetite with this virus) . And I think it’s because of that that she’s so weak now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will pray for your little girl.....She definitely needs nutrition and fluids, both at once if possible. Thin down chicken and add broth as you said, wet cat food thinned with water, etc. You have to try so you know you did all you could......watch Kitten lady to see how to syringe and try it, very small amounts at first maybe every couple of hours during the day if you can. She has gone long enough without eating. Even if she throws up, she may absorb some of it. I have lost many to this horrible disease and it is heartbreaking, but the three I have with me now all survived, so there is some hope. I got mine to eat by offering lickable treats, Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. There are also very concentrated nutrition for cats out there that comes in a tube. Thin it down and try that too. they are called many names like Nutri-cal or Nutri thrive. She also needs her immune system built up, try DMG I give it to my cats., If she can hold on for a few weeks her bone marrow will produce more white blood cells. My heart breaks for her and you, I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.....

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much. You’ve all been so helpful and compassionate in this awful time, I hope your cats and you all have a wonderful and healthy life 🙏♥ Thank you

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hii, so Pona (my little baby girl) is doing a little better. I fed her with the syringe a couple of time and miraculously she hasn’t vomited. She is a little more responsive and stronger than yesterday. I added pedialyte in her chicken smoothie mixture. She doesn’t want to eat but swallows it anyway, thankfully.
I feed her in small quantities of about a couple of mLs in every turn. So, hopefully little by little she recovers from this awful thing. ♥

sabrinamehereen

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys. Hope you’re all well. So Pona has a fever now, she seems to be getting better, like she groomed herself and stretched a bit yesterday night but then she loses her strength again. I don’t get why that is happenings. We’ve been still feeding her with a syringe, she still won’t eat on her own. One very big red flag is that her poop still contain blood. It’s very watery. Any advice on that??? I don’t know how to feel. One moment I feel happy thinking she’s getting better, the next she goes back again.

One of my other cats got tested and it was positive. We test her this morning just a bit after she vomited. She hasn’t vomited since. She’s more stable than Pona. What should my approach be in keeping her the same and not end up weak like Pona?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not a vet, but for the second one I'd keep feeding her, and I think the same for Pona. I don't have advice regarding the diarrhea unfortunately.