should i euthanize my cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It really does sound like euthanasia is the kindest thing you can do for her then - it is the last act of love and kindness we can give them, although never an easy decision, and sadly it never gets easier. Good luck

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will be of any help, but this was my experience last year. I put my cat, who also had cancer, to sleep when the vet told me he was actively dying. There was such a pronounced difference in the way he looked, in just two days, that I "knew" but I think the vet saying that made the difference for me.

Also, I was told once, years ago, that there's a difference between extending someone's life and prolonging their death. There can be a time, especially with pets because they can't speak, where that's a very gray area. For me, it took him entering the "actively dying' part before I could part with him. You might be able to tell, because you love and know her so well, if she's still getting some enjoyment out of life -- sleeping in a shaft of sunlight or on your lap, or batting a toy around -- or if the discomfort overrides everything at this point.

I'm sorry you have to go through this hard time and lose your lifelong pal.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this will be of any help, but this was my experience last year. I put my cat, who also had cancer, to sleep when the vet told me he was actively dying. There was such a pronounced difference in the way he looked, in just two days, that I "knew" but I think the vet saying that made the difference for me.
I believe that a good vet can make a world of difference when deciding if euthenasia is the best choice. I trust my vet completely, but several times in the past when I've asked if I should make that final decision he told me the decision was up to me. Finally, with my sweet Sophie (who also had cancer) I asked him, "If Sophie was yours, what would you do?" He looked me in the eye and told me, "I'd end her suffering; she's in pain and she's not going to get better."

Sweetie, only you can make that decision for Shiloh. Please think about it rationally, because I know you're thinking with your heart right now. I wish I could give you a big hug and tell you everything will be alright; I know how painful this is for you, but you need to think of Shiloh's well-being now.

Status
Not open for further replies.