Should I Consider Switching Foods?

jaxmaxmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I never really considered switching foods until I won a $25 gift certificate from a friend who sells Flint River Ranch - which is what began my research. I was hesitant to even try another brand because I know that kitties like to have consistency in their food.

We have been using Science Diet (Maintenance and Hairball) for our 2 cats their whole life (3 and 5 yrs).

We don't see major issues and they do like the food. They have the occasional hairball and when they do throw up it is very yellow and hard to clean out of the carpet.

Here's the problem:

Our big cat is a Maine Coon-type. He has anxiety issues, probably a heart problem (according to the vet) and he currently has a spraying problem (most often attributed to the presence of outside kitties in the spring).

This may be stretching it, but could a better food at all help my big boy with his anxiety and (please!) his spraying problems? I don't want to make him more anxious by switching his food around, but if anyone has seen behavior improvements with food changes, I would love to hear about it.

What would you recommend? We are currently feeding them the dry version of SD.

(I don't know if I will take my friend up on her $25 gift certificate offer...perhaps I'll take some FRR treats, or get some dog food for a friend.)

Thanks!

Dawn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMHO Flint river is a bit better food than SD but if your worried a change will cause an issue then I would buy food for a friend