Should I buy this Cat pic's attached

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello every one,
A friend of mine is selling this perisan kitten. The kitten is 3 months old and has been given the first vacination shot. His asking price is $250. Is this a good persian will it grow fluffy (long straight hair).

The price in US dollars may seem less but in TK its a good amount. There is no health certificate or any docoument, persian cats are very rare to find in Bangladesh. I have seen this cat its very active and playful. The owner bought it from another guy who exports imports pets.

Please check the pictures - pictures taken at 2 months old. Now it looks a bit better.

FULL ALBUM http://picasaweb.google.com/skmdmasud/Cat#

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Others will chime in, but first of all, that is not a "Persian" by most U.S. definitions. And, as you seem to realize, it's in pretty rough shape in those photos, the poor baby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its in a better shape now, the ears looks much better. I need to know how good a persian it is like 70% or 60% etc. This is the 2nd persian i have ever seen in real life so i cannot judge.

Thanks

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it more important to you that the kitten is pure Persian or do you like the kitten for his/her own self?

Or, put another way, do you want the kitten so you can breed from him/her or do you want the kitten as a pet?

Persian or not, I think it is a very pretty kitten and with the proper care would blossom into a beautiful cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skmdmasud

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I like the cat. If the cat is not a persian then i will tell this to the seller, therefor if I know then it will help me bargain the price and more chances that i can effort. Although I love the kitten know matter what breed it is.

The owner says its a chinchilla persian

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad you want this lovely little kitten for a pet. To be honest, regardless of whether she is pure Persian or not, I think she's adorable

If you want the kitten, get the kitten and shower him/her with love

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are the parents available for you to look at? Have you seen them or not? They may be a good indication of what the health and looks the kitten will have when (s)he grows up.

I had a Persian growing up. He was the most sweet and beautiful personality. However his fur was a nightmare and took DAILY brushing or else he would matt right down to the skin. He was supposedly a purebred with papers but he had the calcivirus and had mouth ulcers in his mouth his whole life which we had to get steroid shots to make them go away temporarily.

This is why I ask about the parents. If the parents are a terror to brush, then it may happen that your kitten will require a lot of grooming and this is something you may want to consider if you have the money/time, etc.,. to put towards a higher maintenance kitty. And if the parents have health issues, this is something you may need to know as well, so as to know whether or not the cat may harbor illnesses during its life and whether you are prepared financially or emotionally for these extra aspects to your cat's and your life.

I think the baby is breathtakingly beautiful and seems active and sweet. I personally would never have a persian again - unless I was quite rich - because of the neccessary maintenance due to the fur. I am not trying to dissuade you. Some people love to brush their persians every day and start out with a very good grooming relationship - I did not have that luxury, our cat was a "gift" at the age of him being 6 months old from a family that decided with moving they only wanted to have TWO cats not three - and some persian owners say they are not as much of a maintanence as my Kami Kazi was - which may mean he was not purebred or if so not WELL bred.

I also loved Kami Kazi so exquisitely deeply. We were extremely bonded. Out of a family of 6 humans, he decided I was to be his caretaker. At the tender age of 12, and with his daunting physical requirements, it was an honor and a privilege but also a lot of work. I started working at the age of 15 - before that I babysat - and all the money that I did NOT spend on his welfare I could then spend on myself - like glasses, clothes, etc.,. for me. He taught me responsibility, and he was exceedingly grateful for everything I gave him.

Kazi was a blessing and taught me grace and trust. When he was too scared to eat from his bowl on his own - because the ulcers were bad at times and it took a while for the drugs to work - I would hold the bowl for him, and he would reluctantly keep coming back to the bowl for food. He trusted me, and that trust touched my very soul. Despite his illnesses he had 10 years which I think for the most part were filled with joy despite the illness; after that the drugs stopped working which the vets had warned us his whole life might happen and then I gave him the quiet death. I know Kazi loved me I know as much as I loved him. Even saying I wouldn't have another persian in my current situation I will tell you this. I would do it over and over again with Kazi. I loved him completely. I just wish I knew now and could do it over again and do it better, take care of him better and love him even better than I did.

Persians are a joy for theirs is usually a quiet and deep love. They are gentle sweet creatures - again for the most part - and I totally understand why people go out of their way to include them in their lives.

Just some thoughts from my experience.

And if you do decide to bring one home, remember to start grooming them right away and make it pleasant, for then they will be easier to care for for the remainder of their days with you. Start early, and start often!

Best wishes,

Liz

PS $250 in America, is a fair price for a Persian. Most Persians I have seen they ask a bit more for. Like $300-$500 dollars is more average but $250 is not exceedingly low. The face and eyes do not seem to be show quality Persian. If he is breeding these JUST for pets, then the quality does not have to be perfect. The eyes for example should probably be rounder like buttons.

Here is a show quality picture of Persian kittens for comparison.

The quality on the picture you showed does not look like a poor quality Persian, but it doesn't look like a show quality persian, and therefore may not be a purebred Persian. Just in my opinion from the pictures I saw.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
While I wouldn't have a Persian for the reasons you gave Ladyhitchiker, I hate to say this but Persian cats have been bred out of all proportion and are nothing like the Persians I remember from 40 years ago. They didn't have the squashed up faces that resemble Pekinese dogs, didn't have the associated breathing problems then that they do now.

I'll never know why breeders did what they did to them or who thought that a cat with a seriously squashed face is "beautiful". Somebody, IMO had a weird sense of what is beautiful!

It's not just Persians either. Siamese (my favourite breed) have been bred to have that pointed (what I call ET on a bad day) look that they do not even remotely look like the original Siamese cat.

It has, undoubtedly, spoiled the breed.

Dogs don't escape either. German Shepherds (I have two) in recent years have been bred so that their backs are roached (humped) and the hocks are so weak the dog can barely stand or walk. God knows what problems dogs bred like this will have as they get older. It is well known that hip dysplacia is common in the breed.

My two, beautiful though they are would never get near a show ring as they don't conform to "type". I wouldn't show them anyway - don't need anyone to tell me how beautiful they are - I already know.

This is a video from the UK that shows the dangers of "extreme type" breeding and, although it is about dogs, the same was happening in the cat world too.

WARNING. It is both shocking and heartbreaking to watch. You will see the German Shepherd with the roached back and bad hocks - and this is a champion dog (?)

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happened to this kitten? Poor baby! Is that frost bite on the ears? How did that happen? There is no way to know if the cat is 50%, 60% Persian... It is a mixed cat and like him there are plenty ready to be adopted out...
No that is not a Persian, and no this kitten should not be sold, and IMO the person who is selling this kitten should not be encouraged to do business. IMO If he is selling this kitten as a Persian he is simply not an honest person - he is basically ripping you off. There is no telling where he bought this kitten from. IMO he can tell you many things but I have never seen a kitten in such a bad condition come from a breeder -not even bad breeders.
If $250 is a good share of $$$ in there, I would keep it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I've found stray kittens that looked healthier then that poor thing.
You'd have to be prepared to likely spend hundreds of dollars more on it's vet care...

I'm curious, and this is a little off topic. I've heard and read that in many countries, especially a lot of ones where there's over crowding issues, low wages, big gap in classes (ie, a lot of Asia), that dogs and cats often are viewed as having no value unless they're purebred. Only then that they're worthy of being kept as pets. Obviously not everyone would feel that way, but is that a prevailing attitude there, too?
To some degree it happens everywhere, though more with dogs.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

What happened to this kitten? Poor baby! Is that frost bite on the ears?
The OP is from Bangladesh - hot country so it would be more likely to be from sunburn.

Personally, I think the kitten is really sweet but perhaps the OP, armed with knowledge from here may be able to get the price drastically reduced.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

The OP is from Bangladesh - hot country so it would be more likely to be from sunburn.

Personally, I think the kitten is really sweet but perhaps the OP, armed with knowledge from here may be able to get the price drastically reduced.
Yes but he said the kitten was imported by the guy who is selling... Sunburn, frostbite? Really, there is no knowing what the story is with this kitten.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Yes but he said the kitten was imported by the guy who is selling... Sunburn, frostbite? Really, there is no knowing what the story is with this kitten.
In the early pics, my first thoughts were earmites but you can see the little soul's ears are a bit ragged round the edges and I can't think of anything other than really bad sunburn or something biting that's got them. At this time of year, the chances of a kitten getting frostbite is nearly impossible. The kitten may have been imported from another Asian country.

I'll ask my boss tomorrow as he is British-born Pakistani but still has relatives out there and may know the most likely cause.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my stars her ears look terrible!! Like they were fly-bitten along the edges. Poor thing! Also called fly-strikes.

No telling how much Persian is in her. She looks to my unprofessional eye (not a breeder or a judge) that she has some Persian characteristics... big round eyes, small ears with lots of furnishings, etc.

Off topic - I agree with the other posters about the extremism in the breeding, but to Masud's question - I HIGHLY doubt she is purebred based on today's breed standard. You would need papers and other certification to prove it, otherwise in the eyes of most "experts" she is just a cat. And she wasn't well cared-for, if her poor little ears look like THAT!

That said, she is beautiful. She will need a lot of care if you take her. I would get her ears checked immediately and she will definitely need to be brushed every day. No -take that back - not brushed. COMBED.

I suppose if it is important to YOU - you could call her a dollface Persian, but breeders don't accept that as a standard. However - it looks from the info below that Chinnis have longer muzzles.

Here is an explanation of a Chinchilla Persian from Wikipedia:
In the USA, there was an attempt to establish the Silver Persian as a separate breed called the Sterling, but it was not accepted. Silver and Golden longhaired cats, recognized by CFA more specially as Chinchilla Silvers, Shaded Silvers, Chinchilla Goldens, or Shaded Goldens, are judged in the Persian category of cat shows. In South Africa, the attempt to separate the breed was more successful; the Southern African Cat Council (SACC) registers cats with five generations of purebred Chinchilla as a Chinchilla Longhair. The Chinchilla Longhair has a slightly longer nose than the Persian, resulting in healthy breathing and less eye tearing. Its hair is translucent with only the tips carrying black pigment, a feature that gets lost when out-crossed to other colored Persians. Out-crossing also may result in losing nose and lip liner, which is a fault in the Chinchilla Longhair breed standard. One of the distinctions of this breed is the blue-green or green eye color only with kittens having blue or blue-purple eye color.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Python

In the early pics, my first thoughts were earmites but you can see the little soul's ears are a bit ragged round the edges and I can't think of anything other than really bad sunburn or something biting that's got them. At this time of year, the chances of a kitten getting frostbite is nearly impossible. The kitten may have been imported from another Asian country.

I'll ask my boss tomorrow as he is British-born Pakistani but still has relatives out there and may know the most likely cause.
fly bites, IMHO. When you work in rescue you see these things. But mostly in dogs around here. Not cats....

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

fly bites, IMHO. When you work in rescue you see these things. But mostly in dogs around here. Not cats....
Yep. I said something biting

Poor little kitten

I think if the OP does buy her and is prepared to get the necessary vet treatment and take care of her coat, pedigree or not, he could have a lovely cat there.