Should I bring this kitten in or leave to stay out with the mother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kskatt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just found this and was thoroughly enjoying your story. What a horrible shock, I am so very sorry! Please do not think you let her down! You gave her the best three months she possibly could have had. Having someone completely devoted to her and surrounding her with love. There is nothing you could have done to prevent it or cure it, you gave her a peaceful passing before the pain began.

Some little angels are not meant to stay very long, then they go to the Rainbow Bridge to wait for the ones they love to join them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see another kitten in your future - but not right at this moment. Give yourself a chance to grieve and process the loss of Patches. In my experience, a new kitten never replaces the one you've lost, but it does fill an empty space in your heart when you're ready.

I've raised cats from age 5 weeks old to nearly 21 years old, and I always feel they can never be replaced, but I always end up with a new cat or kitten sooner or later. I still miss every cat I've ever owned, but I also welcome and fall in love with the new ones.

I think that is so sweet of your landlady to say there are more fur babies that need your love. You just got the green light :). But no, it won't be Patches, but it will be a kitten that needs your love.

You'll know when you're ready.

Do Carrot and Suzie Q seem to miss Patches?

hteft

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your kitten! I know first hand of the shock and sense of emotional loss you feel right now.

You didn't let her down at all. She knew love and was well cared for.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. You really did your best. No one could have expected this. From what I've heard FIP is a sneaky disease. I imagine your vet was pretty upset, too. RIP, Patches.

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry for your loss. She sounds like a very special kitten and the bond that you 2 had sounds really special. Don't ever say you let her down, because the decision you made was to help her and in her interest. If you had been selfless, you'd chose to let her live and possibly suffer in the long run. But you didn't. You did the right thing. Think about her in a good way, and love her for who she was. 

Rest in Peace little Patches 

evamilly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You did the best thing for her, and her time spent with you sounds very happy. She was very lucky you took her in otherwise she would have suffered. You clearly have a very good bond with cats and I hope in time you do get to raise another kitten :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're doing well.  Suzie Q is a happy little porch cat.  

She lays around like a rug most of the time.

But if I sit down outside she wants on my lap.  

She's very affectionate and loves to eat!  

Carrots is enjoying being Top Cat again.  

He wants on my lap constantly, but I don't mind.  

I love him with all my heart.

But I miss my baby.

Patches.  My little Girl.  In her favorite little Amazon box.

And Carrots.

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's been gone for a week now.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's hard to believe, isn't it? I know how much you must miss her. It's not an easy adjustment. They get into your heart and your life so quickly! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

donza

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosh they sure can.  I got so immersed in her.  She had a personality like no other.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I've had a couple of cats over the years who left indelible marks on me due to personality and circumstances. I've loved them all, but once in awhile a really unique, special kitty came along and just really took my breath away. It's those I miss the most.

I had a set of cats acquired over a few years, all of whom lived many, many years, and the last of whom I put down this past spring. I took in a pregnant stray around that time, not feeling like I wanted anymore cats right away, and determined not to get attached.

Well, it's 6 months later, and I've kept her AND her four kittens, so instant family of five! I am in love with all of them and cannot imagine it any other way!

I think our hearts just expand as needed :).

freyaandzelda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just found this thread and was so happy about Patches finding a home, when I read she was gone it quite literally stole my breath away for a moment. I know it would devastate me to lose one of my babies, and I'm so sorry that you lost her. But just remember, even when you feel like you failed her, that you gave her the best life possible. Without you, she never would have known the warmth of a house or the love of a family, and you gave her that.

yellowhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.  It just isn't fair.  Patches was absolutely beautiful and full of personality.  Hugs to you as you find your new 'normal'.  

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that heart breaking derision well. you didn't fail her, you gave her love and she gave you love in return. You did the best thing possible. I too lost four kittens just a few months ago. Two died in my hands the other two I had to have put to sleep. Mine where just over a week old.  This is a poem I find comfort in. I hope you do as well, and know that you didn't fail her.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
On behalf of The Cat Site Team, we are sincerely sorry for this sad ending. In order to show our respect and honor this little kitten I am going to lock this thread. When you feel like doing so, you may wish to post a memorial thread in our Crossing the Bridge Forum. Again we are truly sorry. Rest in peace little kitty. You will be loved and missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.