Should I block off under-bed hiding spot after 2 months?

Alana M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, as the title suggests I'm considering whether I should close off my feral boys' access to under the bed after it's been his safe haven for almost two months. He dashed under the bed as soon as I got him into "his room" (my bedroom, as I don't have a spare room) and I didn't know about blocking off the bed until after he was already under it. Some background! Bounce is a 9 month old neutered male. The shelter said that he was very timid and would need a bit more patience than usual, but that he did let them pick him up and handle him (which sounds crazy to me now). They had no history on him apart from having been dropped off by animal services about two weeks before. The shelter was far away, so I ended up meeting and picking him up the day he was neutered (a stressful day for the poor boy!) Also I have no other pets, and I have a Feliway plug-in in the bedroom.
I quickly suspected that he was actually feral due to: 1) his complete silence aside from hissing when startled, 2) his skittishness in general, he shows no interest in smelling/investigating people, watches me constantly, and retreats under the bed the second someone moves or makes eye contact, 3) he stays as low to ground as possible at all times, with no interest in high up spaces apart from recently, when he's started jumping up the cat tower while chasing the feather wand, 4) His noticeable fear of human hands :( naturally this means I haven't been able to touch him, nor have I tried to (since I want touch to be his idea)
From the beginning he has used his litterbox well, and now he comes all the way out to eat with me sitting right beside him for meals. He LOVES to play and has even started coming out to chase his feather wand near the living room late in the evenings! He stays under the bed all day every day apart from meal times and play time, but is happy to go party all night with his toys in the living room as soon as he hears me get into bed. But he's always back under the bed when I wake up.
I recognize now (after reading many helpful articles on here!) that six weeks is the blink of an eye in feral socializing time, and he's made incredible progress in that time. So very long story short: since he's getting braver and feeling more comfortable, should I block off the under bed area to force more interaction during the day? I know it's suggested for BEFORE bringing the cat home, but since it's already been his safe space for nearly two months I worry that he will be terrified and feel unsafe again. I'm more than willing to just be patient if that's the best move for him, but wanted to check what people with more experience think!
(Oh man I'm sorry this is so long, thanks for reading if you made it this far!)

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would not block off his access to his current safe place, but rather try to 'build' other ones for him to try. Cardboard boxes, with only one side open, and perhaps with some towels that have his scent on them. Place treats in there every night so that he can have the chance to check another safe haven spot with the enticement of food. If he has some toys he likes, place them in there too. It may take some time, or maybe not at all, but he might move to another location if he finds it equally 'safe'. Or he might use one of them, when he finally decides he doesn't need to be under the bed.

He will come around, it will just be on his timeline, not yours!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know it's suggested for BEFORE bringing the cat home,
I've never thought this was a good idea for a feral, a stray who's been on the street for a while, or a housecat that's new to the home because it's really unfair/wrong to force an animal that's already super stressed out into the open with nowhere to go.

You are doing a fabulous job with him, as witnessed by him eating by you and loving his playtime. Keep right on doing exactly what you have been because it's working very well.

As mentioned, he'll eventually come to the point that he won't need that safe space on a regular basis, but even then, he'll probably need it on occasion which is just fine.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, as the title suggests I'm considering whether I should close off my feral boys' access to under the bed after it's been his safe haven for almost two months. He dashed under the bed as soon as I got him into "his room" (my bedroom, as I don't have a spare room) and I didn't know about blocking off the bed until after he was already under it. Some background! Bounce is a 9 month old neutered male. The shelter said that he was very timid and would need a bit more patience than usual, but that he did let them pick him up and handle him (which sounds crazy to me now). They had no history on him apart from having been dropped off by animal services about two weeks before. The shelter was far away, so I ended up meeting and picking him up the day he was neutered (a stressful day for the poor boy!) Also I have no other pets, and I have a Feliway plug-in in the bedroom.
I quickly suspected that he was actually feral due to: 1) his complete silence aside from hissing when startled, 2) his skittishness in general, he shows no interest in smelling/investigating people, watches me constantly, and retreats under the bed the second someone moves or makes eye contact, 3) he stays as low to ground as possible at all times, with no interest in high up spaces apart from recently, when he's started jumping up the cat tower while chasing the feather wand, 4) His noticeable fear of human hands :( naturally this means I haven't been able to touch him, nor have I tried to (since I want touch to be his idea)
From the beginning he has used his litterbox well, and now he comes all the way out to eat with me sitting right beside him for meals. He LOVES to play and has even started coming out to chase his feather wand near the living room late in the evenings! He stays under the bed all day every day apart from meal times and play time, but is happy to go party all night with his toys in the living room as soon as he hears me get into bed. But he's always back under the bed when I wake up.
I recognize now (after reading many helpful articles on here!) that six weeks is the blink of an eye in feral socializing time, and he's made incredible progress in that time. So very long story short: since he's getting braver and feeling more comfortable, should I block off the under bed area to force more interaction during the day? I know it's suggested for BEFORE bringing the cat home, but since it's already been his safe space for nearly two months I worry that he will be terrified and feel unsafe again. I'm more than willing to just be patient if that's the best move for him, but wanted to check what people with more experience think!
(Oh man I'm sorry this is so long, thanks for reading if you made it this far!)
He looks just like my Zena! What a beauty... I would not block off it were me. I am grappling with this now with two other boys Cinn who just came in recently and who was in the bathroom for a while. He and his bff Fred, who came in last June due to a limp, are still mostly behind the bed, if I am there. Or if Quinn comes in... Even Fred will come out a bit or under a dresser sometimes is Quinn is there even though he hisses at him. But with me, they run for the hills or the bed, mostly... they are still so scared of me. I tried again with a long spoon and some baby food to coax them to try it from behind the bed but it just makes them more nervous.

Fred has even come into my room when Zena was there, so it is all very odd and frustrating etc. The fact that he lets you sit by him is a good sign though, so maybe try blocking the bed and see what happens. Cinn had lb issues at first in the br so I don't want to stress him at all. They both have cat cubes on heater across the room that they use when I am not there. So I am the issue clearly. I have a cam watching them. I have not seen Cinn in them, but he has gone right up to them so I assume it was not caught on camera. Fred is in the larger one now mostly, caught on cat spy cam, he LOVE his cubes on a heater.

Here is Zena...

IMG_1367.jpg

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it’s a place you cannot easily get to your cat, block it off. If your cat gets injured or sick or if there’s an emergency such as a fire, you need to be able to get to your cat quickly and easily without drama. Under the bed is usually a difficult place to dig a cat out from.

Another problem with a cat hiding under the bed is it cuts off their view of their territory. The cat cannot see what’s going on when under the bed. This saps their self confidence.

Before you block it off, give your cat an acceptable alternative. Several alternatives are even better. Cat condos with padded, cozy cubicles are wonderful places for your cat to feel secure and still give you easy access to him. Be sure to place these safe places where your cat can survey as much of his territory as possible so he can watch what’s going on. This will boost your cat’s confidence and he’ll settle in quicker.

Your cat isn’t feral anymore. A feral cat cannot tolerate the presence of a human. From your description, your cat not only tolerates your presence, but is showing signs of wanting your presence. That means you’re doing it right! Keep up the good work!