Should I be worried ??

Crazycatlady911

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! My foster cat lost her mucus plug yesterday at about 11pm. This is her 2nd birth (accidental, and yes she has a spay appt after they are born) with her first birth she had the first kitten not even an hour after she lost her mucus plug. It’s the next day 12am and still no signs of contractions or kittens. Any thoughts ? Thanks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The mucus plug can be lost up to a week before giving birth, though it rarely goes that long. She’ll likely have them soon.

She should be spayed about 6-8 weeks after giving birth, once the kittens begin to wean.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crazycatlady911

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s 72 days pregnant today . Lost her mucus plug yesterday but still no babies or even contractions. Babies are moving around alot tho. What should I do? Does she need to go to the vet ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s 72 days pregnant today . Lost her mucus plug yesterday but still no babies or even contractions. Babies are moving around alot tho. What should I do? Does she need to go to the vet ?
Its of course touchy now. Part of the answer is; 1. HOW sure you are its day 72?

2. How good and experienced is your vet with cats and being an obstetrician??

Because taking them out too early is verry dangerous for kittens, unlike for human babies... Not even mentioning the cesarean is by itself a hardship for kittens. Momma usually survives, but not always the kittens.

Several remarks: I presume she hasnt dropped yet (ie suddenly seems less pregnant). They dont always drop visibly, but that is the common. They usually drop a couple of days before the delivery. AND you dont feel the kittens move as much when she dropps, because they kittens are more squeezed, waiting on the the imminent delivery. So this hints your count is perhaps faulty, and its not that late is you think. [because you feel them move alot]

Cats usually manage a little too long pregnancy better than humans. But kittens manage to come out too early much worse than human babies. Both these factors unlike humans.

So our advice 19 times out of 20, if momma seems OK, no visible troubles; to try to wait it out.
Give her calcium rich food with lotsa of E-vitamine. Because too little calcium may give weak labor.

That said, once every year it happens somebody waited too long, and disaster struck, with heavy internal bleedings...
So yeah, if you are sure its over 70 days the situation IS touchy, and you need to consult a skilled veterinary obstetrician.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Another idea: do you know how your cats momma and grandmomma had it? It may be so, her maternity line tended to have late deliveries...
Its for example said about siameses, they tend to have rather late deliveries, sometimes over 70 days, ie a full 5-7 days longer than the common.

Alike there are examples of females where the maternity line tend to have short pregnancies, even less than 60 days...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi there! My foster cat lost her mucus plug yesterday at about 11pm. This is her 2nd birth (accidental, and yes she has a spay appt after they are born) with her first birth she had the first kitten not even an hour after she lost her mucus plug. It’s the next day 12am and still no signs of contractions or kittens. Any thoughts ? Thanks.
How is it going?