should I be worried about rabies?

kola00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

It appears I have been adopted by a stray! lol! I already have 3 cats and was not looking for more but I believe this cat was left behind by someone and it breaks my heart.  I have only seen 1 stray cat in the last 12 years and I'm not even sure if it was a stray. Anyway this cat found our cat door about 5 months ago and I let him/her stay in the basement after trying to make a home for it in the shed. It was killing me thinking of it out in the cold. Little by little it's becoming braver and now coming upstairs into the house...exploring a little and eating from the cat dish. It doesn't seem to mind me being around as long as I don't move too close. I would like it to really become part of our family now but I know it's going to take time to get close enough to take it to the vet. My other cats are adjusting to it being around...and it looks quite healthy. Was very fat in the winter (I guess they build up their weight) but now it's normal weight, coat looks good and other than being very nervous and running downstairs I haven't noticed any odd behaviors or anything. However I'm concerned about rabies since it is a stray. I have never heard of any rabies cases in our area, my cats have had their shots but I'm worried about my child or I getting scratched or bit in the future. How worried should I be? Thanks for your help!

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the sounds of it he don't have rabies, and I don't think you need to worry if there haven't been any cases, but if you are worrying I suggest talking to a vet, he will be able to ease your mind, there other things you have to worry about infecting your cats like fiv and felv which is why you should get him tested before letting your cats near him

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/cat-care/rabies

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the above.  Nay, no risk HERE.  The overall statistics in the USA are pretty  low.  There are few cases of contagion through animals, and thus virtually none through cats.

Although in other countries its not total uncommon...   And thus, probably also some few infections through cats.

But the law is strickt on vaccination, and reporting of all suspected cases, and harshly dealing with them.   so if you ask the vet, dont talk too high the cat is inside your home.  Tell you have seen him outside, and are wondering, etc...

There is some risk he takes to the big bells, demands immediate quarantine, etc... Not because its necessary, but because the law is very strickt and he is very anxious to follow it to every dot and cross over the t.

He seems to be very healhty from what you describe.  Succesfull semiferales are it sometimes, including this being almost fat at the winter season.  It helps them of course to be healthy.

But a vet check up is of course wise, especielly if you are anxious for your residents.   It will include full deworming if its not done as yet.

Also, some neutering - as I presume he is a friendly tom.   :)

Tx for caring!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kola00

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for responding! I plan to get him/her to the vet as soon as possible to be checked out.

Have a good day!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In America, rabies in a cat is very rare. The primary rabies carriers are raccoons, skunks, and bats. If a cat has been bitten by a bat or raccoon, there's a possibility it can get rabies if was not vaccinated, and if the animal was rabid (and rabies is still fairly uncommon even in these animals).  There's no way to test living animals for rabies, it's a disease that is diagnosed from its symptoms.

From what you described, he sounds like a healthy cat. You'll want to take him to a vet to get a rabies vaccination, and also to see if s/he needs to be neutered/spayed. You'll want to get him the "SNAP" test for FIV and Feline leukemia (that test runs about 40 dollars). The

kitty may also need a de-wormer for parasites and flea medication if he's been outside for a while--parasites and fleas can spread to the other cats. Some places, like Animal Friends and the Humane Society have special packages for strays and ferals and will do everything except the SNAP test for about 20-30 dollars, so you may want to go that route at first if finances are a concern. If his coat is healthy and he has a good appetite, then he's likely a healthy kitty. It's great that you took him in! He'll be grateful to you for life.