Should I be worried about my cat’s stool?

Ilovemykittens123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m a mom of two cats, one 8 month old tuxedo kitten (boy) and a 2 year old tabby (girl). They share 2 litter boxes and recently we’ve been noticing some discoloration of their stool. It’s really difficult to figure out which cat it is, but one of them has really inconsistent coloring throughout their poop. I feed them both a mixture of wet and dry food, my growing boy kitten gets a full can of kitten wet food twice day (fancy feast, tiki cat, tiny tiger, weruva, a rotation) and a small portion of tiki cat baby dry food, and his sister gets one can of adult wet food a day with a small portion of the royal canin appetite control dry food (she gained a bit too much weight after she got spayed and so i changed her from only purina dry food to the one can of wet food and appetite control dry food). I use toppers for their dinners fairly regularly (salmon oil, instinct raw toppers, chicken hearts etc. to add more nutrients to their food) They are both very active, drinking plenty of water and have a HUGE appetite. I haven’t noticed any behavioral changes that would concern me, but the color of the stool has concerned me a bit. I haven’t been able to find any pictures that look similar because in one movement they will have pale brown (maybe a bit yellow but it looks more yellow in the picture than it does in person) parts of poop and dark brown poop together. Please let me know if this is something i should be concerned about or if I’m doing anything that might be causing this or i should stop. I’m going to call a vet but I’m not sure if it warrants a vet visit since they don’t have any other symptoms of an underlying condition. Thank you for the help! I appreciate any feedback i can get!

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they eat a variety of food,different color would be excepted. You could feed them in separate rooms or feed them the same food to be sure. They mostly go in the morning. One of my cats eats weruva beef but when her stool was black so my vet gave her something. It's more concerning if it's white,odd color,or blood . Excellent job on paying attention to your kitties!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I agree with what maggie101 maggie101 mentioned. Good intake does play a part in stool color but it is always good to take note of the color and types of poop your cats have.

I always take a good look at my boy's poop to see if there are anything out of the ordinary before I scoop the poop away.

Here's a pictorial guide for you to take note :-

bristol-stool-chart 2.jpg

Cat poop colour.png.jpeg

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: to TCS
Very nice to meet you!

I agree with the others ,with the " rotation" of different foods you are providing you are going to see varying colors- the consistency looks fine

May I ask why you are " rotating " so many variations?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ilovemykittens123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:welcomesign: to TCS
Very nice to meet you!

I agree with the others ,with the " rotation" of different foods you are providing you are going to see varying colors- the consistency looks fine

May I ask why you are " rotating " so many variations?
I’ve heard that it’s better for cats to have a variety of different foods and flavors so they don’t get bored with their food and they don’t get picky. I also heard it’s better to have a rotation to be able to buy higher end and cheaper food so overall the food rotation is less expensive but still high quality. I’m open to suggestions though! Thank you for the help!

Ilovemykittens123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with what maggie101 maggie101 mentioned. Good intake does play a part in stool color but it is always good to take note of the color and types of poop your cats have.

I always take a good look at my boy's poop to see if there are anything out of the ordinary before I scoop the poop away.

Here's a pictorial guide for you to take note :-

View attachment 467652

View attachment 467653
Thank you! I appreciate the help!

Ilovemykittens123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since they eat a variety of food,different color would be excepted. You could feed them in separate rooms or feed them the same food to be sure. They mostly go in the morning. One of my cats eats weruva beef but when her stool was black so my vet gave her something. It's more concerning if it's white,odd color,or blood . Excellent job on paying attention to your kitties!
Thank you so much!! I do have to feed them in separate rooms or else my boy kitten will eat all of his sisters food. He’s more concerned about what his sister is eating and he will scarf down a whole can then go after her food, crazy! Thank you again I appreciate all the help I can get!

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve heard that it’s better for cats to have a variety of different foods and flavors so they don’t get bored with their food and they don’t get picky. I also heard it’s better to have a rotation to be able to buy higher end and cheaper food so overall the food rotation is less expensive but still high quality. I’m open to suggestions though! Thank you for the help!
Just curious really -I feed a variety of flavors ( beef,chicken,fish) but stick with the same brand for my own cats..... 50% say rotating foods prevent finicky eating habits while 50% will tell you it encourages finicky eating habits- I think it depends on the cat mostly

Many say rotating foods make for a finicky eater because the cats learn quickly if they don't like something they just don't eat it,something else will be around....I'm not too sure about that one because that quite a complex thought process ( reasoning)

If it works for your cats ,it works- why fix what isn't broken ? Lol