Should I be worried about my cat peeing in the bath tub?

hexidecimal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have three cats - all neutered males. The 'middle' cat is a 2-year-old neutered tom who really likes peeing in the bath tub.

We took him to the vet when he first started it 18 months ago and the vet said he was healthy, so it was just behavioural.

We have 5 litter boxes, all different types of litter, in various spots around the house AND he has garden access to pee there too. He does use these boxes but prefers the garden/peeing outside.

He only ever does it when I am in the bathroom with him - eg. if I am peeing (in the toilet, I might add!) or when I have just got out of the shower. When he was a kitten he tried to pee in the toilet a few times too, so I think maybe he thinks that's just where we all pee? On big, ceramic things in the bathroom? Or, he is quite dominant so I think he might think that's his own private toilet?

I'm going to take him to the vets again, but should I be worried? I don't mind so much because we're about to replace the bath soon and when the bathroom is fitted will add another litter box there too.

(just to add, none of the other cats are blocking access to the boxes because they are all over the house. Although, one of our cats like very rough play and does sometimes like to jump out on him. So maybe he figures this is the only place he can pee in peace?)

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to say - your user name brings back nightmares of someone trying to teach me hex after a few beers a year and a half ago :lol3:

Regarding your kitty, it could be he's feeling intimidated by the other cats. Although only doing it while you are there is a bit weird, unless he's just holding it until you go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexidecimal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure… He's really confident and is the boss of the other cats for sure.

Maybe it is a scent-marking/dominance thing?

He is otherwise happy. He is a very sunny, purry, affectionate little chap with both us and the other cats. 

Re:Hex - that's what our first cat was named after. His full name is #000000. :p

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hexidecimal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and I have seen him use the other litter trays so he isn't holding it in. :/