Should I be honored or intimidated?

myrage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the dirty windows kinda add to the feel. Kinda... um barn yardish?
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had driven past this rundown motel so many times on the way to my parent's place and it always made me laugh how the sign says "Air Conditioned" next to a motel with no roof.

So one day I decided to pull off the road and take a picture of it. I did this one in black and white since it looks "old"....I thought the photo should look old too. I cropped off the top half of the picture since it was mostly sky and was just extraneous to the photo.

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And of course.......your typical "flower picture" that almost everyone takes a picture of when they are first learning.

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

No, what strikes me is the juxtaposition of "air conditioning" against a winter sky. Without a soul around. That's why it's different and artistic.
That's true....maybe that's one of the reasons that picture appeals to me. Sometimes....I just "see" things that I think would make a good photo without really knowing "why." Does that make a bit of sense?

I take a lot of pictures of strange shapes because they appeal to me. I notice the way different shapes and objects play off of each other. (like in the chicken picture) I actually have a picture of the inside of the roof of my parent's barn because it looked neat to me with all the beams going in different directions.

Here's another example of a "shapes" picture that I took the same day that I took the chicken picture. This is the fence going through a dried creek bed. The fence was built at an angle I guess so the cows couldn't escape under the fence. Anyway.....I saw it and thought it looked neat.

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought the chicken was watching it snow!!!

You certainly have the talent! I love the pictures!!

kittykook

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abby7625

I suppose that's what I should tell everyone...instead of saying the windows are just dirty! But the sunshine might give it away.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abby7625

it DOES look like the chicken is watching it snow, LOL!!

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyKook

*snip*I've decided that I'm going to invest in a digital SLR camera because .....a professional digital camera is the way to go. The newer SLR's have features and resolutions that meet or exceed most film cameras.
An in field perspective. this is misleading, as, technically, true film does not have any pixels and is similar to what we in the field call "vector" images. Film is infinately rescaleable, and will always have crisper edges than digital images simply by course of processing.

*snip*Plus, you don't have to waste a lot of money on processing a bunch of photos that are duds that you end up throwing away. You can review your pictures beforehand and then only process the good ones....
This however is VERY true. this is one of the benefits of digital

Another downside to digital, though, is that it does not process light in the same way as a slr, and you will get less of the starburst effect that is sometimes desireable. One of my wedding pictures is a good example, however, I don't at the moment have it with me.

I'm leaning toward getting the Nikon D70 or the Canon EOS 20D but some others have also caught my interest. I just need to do some more research on cameras and decide which one will be right for my needs.
The canon rebels are also quite nice. As a note, If you get a canon, you can get the digital and later get the film one if you decide it's important to you to have both, or vice-versa- most models can exchange lenses between the same body style, which is not true of some other brands.

Sorry, I took umptymillion photography classes on lighting and such- you caught me after a cup of coffee, lol.

I see your Day lily and raise you one kitty.

(banno is one of molly's littermates. He's the most delicate framed of all Isis and shadow's babies.)

ilovecats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its wonderful that the site Admin is reconizing your talent, like it should be! Your pictures are beautiful, and amazing. Ask anyone, I'm sure they'll say the same. We have all been deeply moved by your photos, I'm sure the Admin was too. I think the other members should be intimated by you!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
To answer the original question...honoured! Absolutely. But, I have to say, not without good reason...you do lovely work...it is not the work of a beginner. Formal training will help you maximize your innate talent, but ya gotta have the talent first...and you do...in spades.

Congratulations on the recognition!!