Should I be concerned about missing cat?

shizno95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We have a cat, Charlie, who's been missing since about 2:30 am GMT. We normally let him stay out all night and he's usually waiting to be let in early in the morning - but he was not there this morning.

I'm getting anxious for two reasons; 1) as I said it is not normal for him to not be here outside the front door in the morning 2) I heard him scratching the letterbox at 2:30, but I was too lazy to rise out of bed to let him in, so I'm not sure I could forgive myself if, in theory, we never were to see him again.

Should I be concerned about him if his absence is not normal behaviour for him, or is it too early to be worried due to the fact he is a cat.

Thanks.

kittybelle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt worry too much just.yet.cats have a mind of their own.especially tom cats.He wanted in,and didnt.so hes probably went off for a dander.it would do no harm to go out and call him and look around for him.cats could wander into neighbours houses etc.dont blame yourself.im just as bad.you werent lazy im sure.just sleepy and tired.if you had let him in,then he wanted out at 8am for e.g he could have gone missing.you cant wrap them in cotton wool.keep us updated thanks.hope hes home soon.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
My cats have pretty predictable routines, so when one doesn't follow them, I worry, too.  

I hope all is well and Charlie returns soon, if he hasn't already.  Let  us know.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start to take action after 24 hours - go looking in sheds and garages as the most likely explanation, and talk to the neighbours and anyone who might have seen him, so you can pinpoint more accurately how long he has been gone. Is he chipped? Does he have a tagged collar? After a couple of days call local vets and the police, also the animal pound. ANd you can put up posters anywhere they are permitted. Good luck, it can be very worrying.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Personally, I feel if your cat has a regular routine and sticks to it (for the most part of course) I wouldn't wait 24 hrs to begin looking. I'm sure this is not the first time you have not gotten up in the middle of the night to let him in (either b/c you didn't hear him or you were just too tired.)
I definitely would be talking with the neighbors and making trips outside to call him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shizno95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No collar but he is micro-chipped, yes. He has not yet returned, and a number of visits around the surrounding area in an effort to locate him as proven futile. 

It really is quite difficult to remain optimistic about this. I mean, he has done similar things two or three times in the six years we have had him, so I'm trying to keep faith that I'll hear him scratching the letter-box once again in the near future, hopefully.

We had another cat, Toby, eight or nine years ago. Toby, who was far younger than Charlie, went missing for about ten days. We all grieved because naturally we feared the worst. However, I remember being at the store and a friend of mine suddenly asked when we put photos of him, appealing for information from the public, and I told him we hadn't. He then pointed at a photo of Toby on the window. It was a 'Found' poster rather than a 'Missing' one, and we got him back because a nice couple had found him and put posters up in the area.

Sadly he died one year later, but I've been comforting myself with that example of hope throughout the day. I've also read that cats have an extraordinary sense of direction so hopefully he returns soon - providing he is safe, which I believe he is. He was not ill prior to disappearing, and I cannot envisage him being hit by a car or attacked by a fox.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shizno95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, he came back. 

I wish I could over-dramatise it and say he only just returned this very second, but the truth is he came home quite literally about five minutes after my last post. He sauntered through the front door - which I had purposely kept open, despite the cold.

Obviously his absence was a large cause of concern for me, partially due to the fact I would have shouldered quite a lot of blame had he not returned, but the more worried you are the stronger the feeling of relief is to know that he is alright. It's a wonderful feeling, and totally worth it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great news!!  My mother will always call me when one of her cats can't be accounted for.  We both just hate it so much!!  They'd all be indoor only; but one of hers has pee-pee problems if she can't go out and the others won't stand for her being allowed out and them not!

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you aware that a cats lifespan is shortened by 2/3rd by letting it spend all night outside. You can easily get him on a daytime outing schedule if you HAVE to let him outside at all.
I work at a shelter and can tell you first hand that we get many injured, sick and starving cats every day and it could be less if people actually keep track of them . Have you considered a pet door ? There are breakaway collars , these are very important in how he may be treated by others, ie. , and allows you some help from anyone finding him and letting you know, also cats get picked up by those thinking it's a stray, delivering it to a shelter where it has 3 days to either get adopted or retrieved by the owner and that' rarely happens so it gets put down. If you really love your cat, take precautions to avoid this situation. Please!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHat wonderful news! You must be over the moon. I do second the advice about a breakaway collar - it really can help get them back quickly as not everyone bothers to go check for a chip and it identifies the cat as someone's pet. But I am so happy for you.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
i have to say, the microchip cat door was the best thing we ever did to keep track of our cats.  They go in and out during the day, but the 'curfew' mode is set on the door from 5:30 p.m. to 6 a.m.  They always come in for dinner, and then once they're in, they can't get back out.  

Sometimes if all three are in before 5:30, I'll just lock the cat door manually; that way I know they're all in safe and sound for the night.