Should I attempt reintroduction?

Allajoke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I'm currently stuck in the classic, older cat not liking the new kitten conundrum, though I feel like my situation is somehow messier than what I usually see in "How to Introduce Your Cats" articles.
I had two pets at home before we adopted our new kitten, Sage our 13-year-old cat, and Trooper our 12-year-old lab-mix. I have been fostering neonate and medical kittens for a few years now, especially since I work at an animal shelter, so kittens were never a rarity in our home. Sage was never a fan of our fosters, but was never aggressive towards them, as long as they didn't bother her she was content with her having the upstairs (and my bedroom) while the kittens stayed downstairs.
Now when Minou first came into the shelter I was instantly smitten and volunteered to foster her. She was going to be a long-hauler as she had an injury that rendered her left arm limp, and it would take a few months of physical therapy and acupuncture before she could be on the adoption floor. Needless to say, over the following months my family fell in love with her and she fit in perfectly so we decided to keep her.
There were a few occasions while fostering Minou when she escaped her confines and came into contact with Sage, which resulted in hissing, growling, and swatting from Sage. Minou didn't seem to understand cat etiquette and would try to chase/follow her until I was able to grab her. She just seemed genuinely curious about Sage but didn't understand boundaries.
Once the adoption was official, we started the whole introduction process to mixed results...
Sage refused to eat food anywhere that wasn't her usual spot, and not with a kitten on the other side of the door. She had no interest in sniffing any of Minou's blankets and didn't budge from the doorway when we tried place-swapping. We tried giving treats at the same time, but Minou was more interested in Sage than the treats which resulted in hostility. I have Feliway spray and the multi-cat defuser installed as well.
After about three months of this, we took Sage to the vet to get her put on anxiety medication (for reasons beyond Minou, she's just always been an anxious "scaredy-cat"), and after allowing the medication to set in we let both of them have free roam.
I thought that most of their issues stemmed from Minou's inability to read cues, and she was always so excited to see Sage because it was a rarity so I thought this would make it less exciting for her. It did work in that respect, Minou is no longer as interested in Sage and now understands that hissing/growling means "go away."
Now here's where we may have fudged things up. Due to several things happening that I don't feel like explaining in this already long post, Minou would have to start spending the night in my room with Sage. Now it's been two weeks, and Sage has become quite the bully.
No full-on fights have occurred, just Sage chasing Minou and some batting between the two. Sage has become quite relentless with it though, and will do it in my room, in the upstairs hall, or downstairs. As soon as she sees Minou moving, she'll start chasing and growling at her. If Minou isn't moving, she'll plant herself a foot away and just watch her until she does move.
If I try to break up their stand-offs, she will oftentimes try to bite me which makes it difficult to separate them. I know this is because of Minou being in Sage's territory, and now that a room is open again, I can probably move Minou back out but I don't know if that will solve Sage's issues with her.
Should I try reintroducing them? Or should I just keep them in separate rooms at night while letting them free-roam during the day?
I know that they may never be friends, and I honestly never expected it from them. I just want them to be able to coexist.
Any and all help is appreciated!
Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Females are notorius for being VERY territorial, They are the limit setters, the manners teachers. Really, it sounds to me like everything is going really well. No, they are not buddies, but time will bring a melding and make a family unit. Kittens are VERY annoying to cats, especially females. Hissing, growling, swatting and charging, as long as Minou is not really getting hurt, like drawing blood and deep bites. Mature cats almost never actually kill or hurt a kitten, sometimes it just seems like they want to. I would continue doing what you are doing, maybe separating them when you are not close by, and get some interesting toys for the kitten to keep her entertained. As long as she doesn't run and hide when she sees Sage, everything is going fine and she is not really getting hurt. Sage is on high alert right now, an invasion has happened. Once she understands this kitten isn't going away like all the others, she will gradually accept the newcomer. Just step in if things get too intense, everything sounds good!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with di and bob di and bob that despite the hissing, growling and chasing, things don't sound too bad. There being no full on fights is good. It's definitely fur flying or bloodshed that you would need to worry about, or Minou acting scared and hiding whenever she sees Sage, or Sage showing signs of stress, such as not eating, litter box issues, etc.

I suspect them needing to be in the same room at night brought things to this point, and after a bit of time having more space between them will improve the situation. It might not be necessary to totally separate them and restart the introductions, but I probably would keep them separate a bit longer at night, or when there's no humans around.

Sorry if I missed it, how old is Minou now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allajoke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with di and bob di and bob that despite the hissing, growling and chasing, things don't sound too bad. There being no full on fights is good. It's definitely fur flying or bloodshed that you would need to worry about, or Minou acting scared and hiding whenever she sees Sage, or Sage showing signs of stress, such as not eating, litter box issues, etc.

I suspect them needing to be in the same room at night brought things to this point, and after a bit of time having more space between them will improve the situation. It might not be necessary to totally separate them and restart the introductions, but I probably would keep them separate a bit longer at night, or when there's no humans around.

Sorry if I missed it, how old is Minou now?
She's around 10 months now! We started fostering her at 2 months old and officially adopted her around 6 months. Thankfully Minou doesn't seem to be scared of Sage, just cautious at this stage!

Allajoke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Females are notorius for being VERY territorial, They are the limit setters, the manners teachers. Really, it sounds to me like everything is going really well. No, they are not buddies, but time will bring a melding and make a family unit. Kittens are VERY annoying to cats, especially females. Hissing, growling, swatting and charging, as long as Minou is not really getting hurt, like drawing blood and deep bites. Mature cats almost never actually kill or hurt a kitten, sometimes it just seems like they want to. I would continue doing what you are doing, maybe separating them when you are not close by, and get some interesting toys for the kitten to keep her entertained. As long as she doesn't run and hide when she sees Sage, everything is going fine and she is not really getting hurt. Sage is on high alert right now, an invasion has happened. Once she understands this kitten isn't going away like all the others, she will gradually accept the newcomer. Just step in if things get too intense, everything sounds good!
Thank you!
I learned a lot about cat behavior and stress from work, but only in regards to when they're about to attack me 😅. I've never really seen the whole introduction process outside of the seamless ones in the articles, and they never really tell you what's normal acclimation behavior vs what to be concerned about.
I guess my concern was because this is the first time I've seen Sage be the aggressor, usually she just runs away from kittens, but it makes sense in retrospect!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's around 10 months now! We started fostering her at 2 months old and officially adopted her around 6 months. Thankfully Minou doesn't seem to be scared of Sage, just cautious at this stage!
Has she been spayed yet? Not sure if hormones would make a difference between 2 females cats, but it's something to maybe consider, if Minou hasn't been spayed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll add as well, I do not use the food part when I introduce cats. My cats eat in their regular area. I think from the signs your older cat is giving to refrain from that part and back up the intros.

You can feed treats, or use a food that isn't the regular food as a treat for that part of the method. For me, I bought another type of senior food and fed them that.

Allajoke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has she been spayed yet? Not sure if hormones would make a difference between 2 females cats, but it's something to maybe consider, if Minou hasn't been spayed.
She's spayed! My shelter doesn't adopt out animals without being spayed or neutered first, and I would never want to deal with a cat in heat at home!

Allajoke

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll add as well, I do not use the food part when I introduce cats. My cats eat in their regular area. I think from the signs your older cat is giving to refrain from that part and back up the intros.

You can feed treats, or use a food that isn't the regular food as a treat for that part of the method. For me, I bought another type of senior food and fed them that.
Treats are the one thing they seem to agree on, thankfully. My only problem is that I don't want to overfeed them with goodies, but at this point, I would feed them with money if I thought that would help at all.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Treats are the one thing they seem to agree on, thankfully. My only problem is that I don't want to overfeed them with goodies, but at this point, I would feed them with money if I thought that would help at all.
My main point is mostly to drop the feeding together part of the intros. Feed your cat in her regular spot. 😺