Should I Adopt Him?

MAKIKEANE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
So here is my story: I had a cat, a black stray cat that appeared in the garden of my grandma's house. He was injured but he was the most carying and cute cat i had ever met.He adopted me and i adopted him. We were inseparable.W e had a connection.I named him Nero .As i said he was very injured and he had a problem in his ear, so i took him to the vet, everything was suposly okey apart from his ear.He was 13 years old eventhough he looked like a puppy.I decided to take him to my home. All that year i had to take Nero to the vet all the time because he had a chronic ear infection.After that year passed i changed the vet and here is where the sad part comes,on his blood test appeared that he had FIV, and was really advanced.Slowly he started to get worse, he didnt want to eat and he usted to sleep all day in my bed. I did everything to make him feel better. I didnt want my cat, my friend, to die. One day i colud see the pain he was feeling, he couldnt resist anymore, so we had to take Nero to the vet to give him the last goodbay.I would never forget that day, how sad i felt, and how much i cried.This happened three months ago. I still missed him a lot.
The other day my brother heard a cat was meowing in front of my house, he looked really scared,and was starving, so he gave him food and water.This cat was, again, black,beautiful and shiny hair and looked exactly like Nero, that impacted me a lot . One day i decided to give him food and he approached me and i started to caress him. i think he has al least 7 months.
The problem here is that, as im naturally an animal lover, i want to protect him, i want to give him a home, a family. I searched if there was someone that was looking for him, but no one did. So the thing is that im having like an existencial crisis because i want to adopt him and take care of the cat but at the same time if i do it i will remeber all the thing that happened with Nero, and im scared that he migth be ill and suffer like Nero.I dont know if is a coincidence or destiny I'm just asking for advice in this situation :)
( Sorry for my english, it is not my first language )

THANK YOU!!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
First, I am sorry to her about Nero. He sounded like a great cat!

Since he's friendly, did you check to see if anyone has lost a cat? Any microchip?

If he isn't lost, I'd say adopt! Always room in your heart for a new companion. Of course, take him to the vet for checkup and shots, make sure he's all healthy before taking him in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MAKIKEANE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice Draco!
I checked everywhere, me, my family, and all my neigthbours and on social media. but no one asked for him :( I think probably someone abandoned him. Sadly that's something super common in my country.
For sure if i adopt him i will inmediatly take him to the vet!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Draco, adopt him. To put your mind at rest, take him for a check up at the vets and to see if he is microchipped. If all is ok, then give him a good home and a lovely life. I'm sure Nero would approve. Please keep us updated.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend was in the same situation with one of her cats and she put up a "missing cat" notice around her neighbourhood incase she was a lost pet, though after a month nobody responded (she bought out food and water and played with her in the meantime, the cat lived by a bush near her house) and she eventually took the cat in and adopted her.
You - and your cat - will both feel a lot better and having your new little friend around might be a good way of coping with your loss. Adopting is the best way forward!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I can hear Nero whispering, "Thank you for taking such good care of me in my old age when no one else would love me. To show appreciation, I have brought you this young cat to care for the same way you cared for me."

:grouphug2:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know I’ve seen this over and over. You suffer the lost of a friend and companion then another arrives to provide that need you both have.

Take him in, enjoy him.

He found you for this day and time.

Dannisair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just because he may (or may not) be sick does not mean he doesn't deserve the be loved for whatever life he has. Life is about quality not quantity and you have the ability to give him a quality life. I have rescued over 40+ kittens last year and due to "Fading Kitten syndrome" I lost quite a few, sometimes entire litters. You are welcome to look it up and how common it is. Despite my fear that every kitten I rescue could have this or multiple issues I continue to love and care for any rescue kitten I come across. It is heartbreaking BUT the ability to make any and every life count that I can outweighs any heartbreak. If I stopped rescuing because of a heartbreak of one of those kittens I would not have rescued the 200+. EVERY life matters. I understand your fear, trust me. But I promise you that little kitty needs you so much more than your fear.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw this (I see that it's been over a week since you've posted) - - -and now that I've read through it , I'm dying to know what you've ended up doing!

I truly hope you decided to bring in the little one. I very much understand the fear of going through the pain again - it's SO hard to lose an animal, whether it's to illness, accident, or simply old age. We lost two just last year - - one was almost 19 and one was right around 20 (so needless to say, both were basically due to the complications that come with old age) - - -so we'd had wonderful, long lives together. But it's still so hard. Barely a day goes by that I don't think about one or both - sometimes just little things like seeing the sun catch the face of my husband's watch, making a little twinkle of light dance across the ceiling, and I think "Ally used to love chasing those spots of light..." My husband would make the light go up the walls and Ally would run at the walls at full speed, leaping high as she could, in hopes that she could catch one before it got to the ceiling again...she and my husband would play for ages with just that little caught bit of sunlight. For months after she died it made me sad when his watch face caught the sun, but now it always makes me smile, remember how much joy that little bit of light brought to her....and how much joy HER joy brought to us.

Losing them is hard, so hard, but I have a feeling Nero's looking down on this little one who's already attached herself to you...and Nero's hoping this new little kitty can bring some kitty fun back into your life. He knows it wouldn't be replacing him - - it would just be helping your heart grow even more. I think orange&white orange&white may be right - - Nero may have whispered in her ear and told her you need cheering up. Because obviously she chose YOUl And if you're worried about health, as Draco Draco said - getting her right in for a check-up is an inexpensive way to ease your mind.

I think you've been chosen....with a little nudge from Nero. :) I hope you can let us know what's going on!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MAKIKEANE

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!! Thank you for your respond! It´s true. It´s so hard to loose them but i know that my cat Nero is okey wherever he is :) These whole week i tried to catch him and take him inside my house, but he is still scared and my street is busy so he gets scared a lot.I think he is getting used to living in the streets :( But Im gonna keeo trying. Any advice on how to catch a stray cat ?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would feed him closer and closer to the house and then one day try feeding him inside the door.

fexluz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would feed him closer and closer to the house and then one day try feeding him inside the door.
I second this. It will take time, but this is precisely how I managed to get my two guys, Mr. Orange and Ms. Grey, to come into my room and eat.

I also agree Nero had something to do with his arrival, perhaps spirutually, but also perhaps biologically... he may be one of Nero's progeny.

I didn't catch a name for the little guy... have you given him one?

Name him, and care for him as best he will allow. Hopefully that means taking him into your home.

Good luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You you ever used traps? This is often the trick with the shy ones. Not trying to sneach them in, with risking of wrestling catch as catch can.
But using a trap. Even a rigged up carrier may work.
This way, the cat never connects you with the trap. You are the one whom liberated him from the trap into your prepared room...

M MAKIKEANE

Pittydad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey
For me that's a definite yes
If he does end up having something wrong and not making it, that is very hard
BUT how great would it be to give him love and a home while he (or she ) is hear
I'm a super sorry with animals
So I don't say all that like it would be easy
At all
Unfortunately this world and people and be nasty and hard
I would have to make sure he knew love one way or the other
That's all worse case
Best case and more likely you will have a friend for life, and it sounds like he needs you :0)

Pittydad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I didn't read all the replies
Sounds like you are trying to get him.
Great :0)
I had good luck with this trap at where i work to catch cats to have them fixed

Pittydad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry
The link wasn't working
I would delete them if I knew how

Havahart 1079 Live Animal Professional-Style One-Door Raccoon, Groundhog, Opossum, and Stray Cat Cage Trap