Should Cats PANT?

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was quite funny the first time we saw lil Jackson do it, He loves the laser pointer, so after a good solid 10minutes of chasing the laser, Jackson lays down and starts to pant...Has anyone ever seen this?
I had a cat that used to pant, but only when he got extremly nervous (Taking him to the vet) LOL
Thanks,
J&J

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they will pant when it's hot, or when they've been playing hard.
Some pant when they are stressed or in pain as well.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Panting is not normal for a cat. It's likely a case of overexertion, but I would recommend running this by Jackson's Vet since it can also be a symptom of cardio or respiratory problems.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of ours do it in the Spring when they play during the day.
The building gets quite hot, but we don't turn the central on until much later in the season.
When they do start playing hard during the daytime, I wet their fur down with luke warm water.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the cats I have ever had panted when they were nervous or played really really hard. I wouldn't worry too much unless he does it when he isn't being active. Next time you are at the vet ask him about it, but I wouldn't worry otherwise.

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

All the cats I have ever had panted when they were nervous or played really really hard. I wouldn't worry too much unless he does it when he isn't being active. Next time you are at the vet ask him about it, but I wouldn't worry otherwise.
How come I never see Skittle pant
. Maybe she is my loving lazy cat

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen both Diesel and Portia pant when they have been chasing each other around the house like maniacs!

They'll normally have a snooze soon after!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Come to think of it, living in the hot tropics, I haven't noticed any panting from my gang even after running or playing. Perhaps they're just used to the weather.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unless your cat is very overweight he should not be panting after 10 mins of activity. He may have breathing problems and need to be checked out. Also he could have cardiomyopthia or heart problems.

The ONLY time I've seen any of my cats pant, is when the temps were very high and they were overheated. One time when the air conditioner broke in the middle of a heat wave I had a litter of 2-3 month old kits. I kept them from suffering and possible death by wetting them down and letting them air dry. They also stayed close to the water bowl. When the sun went down, they came downstairs and played in front of the fan.

I wet all the cats down and that's the only time I saw them actually pant. You know its hot when a cat pants (other then if they are extremly upset or scared).

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trout used to pant when she would play fetch for too long..But as soon as we noticed the panting, we would stop and let her rest.

She can play for hours now without panting so she is good to go!!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
The only time Oliver usually pants is during the 4 hour trip between school and home... he does tend to settle down though - I know it's from stress (I always keep the car cool when he's in it and have tried offering him water during the trips but he's never interested so I just get home as quick as possible), but there's nothing else I can do... he has to come with me when I'm gone more than a week (otherwise, he goes to the kitty sitters)... I had him outside on his leash yesterday because it was beautiful out and he was on the deck and started panting, so I picked him up and we went down into the grass in the shade and the panting stopped.... he will pant VERY occasionally after a long rough play session, but that's very rare....

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They also do something that looks like panting when they're nauseous, which is most likely what it is in the car. Cats get carsick too! Zissou does it right before she pukes (when sick). I don't doubt it may be partly stress, but I get terribly carsick and I can't imagine it would help to be in a cage.
As for plain old panting, I've seen healthy cats do it when they play. Especially the absolutely insane play of a laser pointer.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only times I have ever seen Dori pant are on car rides. Thank goodness that is a rare occasion because it makes me so nervous to see her doing it. The vet said it is because of stress.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

They also do something that looks like panting when they're nauseous, which is most likely what it is in the car. Cats get carsick too! Zissou does it right before she pukes (when sick). I don't doubt it may be partly stress, but I get terribly carsick and I can't imagine it would help to be in a cage.
As for plain old panting, I've seen healthy cats do it when they play. Especially the absolutely insane play of a laser pointer.
Haha, I know Ollie's pre-puke look and it's different from his panting.... and when he's in my car on long trips he has limited freedom cuz if he's forced to stay in his carrier he turns into a devil spawn and that's much worse and more stressing than some panting, plus he needs to have access to his litter box (which he readily uses in the car - PeeeeYeeewwww!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank-You for the comments on Jackson's panting. I will be ure to check with the vet today when I go to pick up Jackson! Thanks a bunch everyone!!!
J&J