shots

phantom76

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So there seems to be at least some debate on whether in door cats need their shots or not.. I assume that since I'll be taking the kittens in to be fixed they will need their shots anyway. My question is , is there any harm in waiting longer then two months for their first shots? In other words can anything like Leukemia be brought in on cloths if I come into contact with a infected cat or is that a cat to cat contact sort of thing?
Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Leukemia and cat AIDS can only be passed by fluid contact with an infected cat. Distemper is highly contagious and extremely hardy. It can be brought in on your clothes, shoes, etc. If he hasn't been started on his series of distemper shots he really needs to get started.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your kittens should recieve the core vaccines to give them some immunity, then whether you vaccinate yearly is up to you (be aware that in the US Rabies vaccine is required by law). They need at least 2 rounds (most vets do 3 rounds) of FECVR 3 weeks apart to give them their basic immunity. From personal experience feline Distemper is not fun to deal with and very fatal, I lost 4 foster kittens to it a year ago. My cats were kept safe because I do choose to vaccinate yearly, and the are strictly indoor.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As kittens, yes it is necessary. Their immune systems are not as developed and they are very likely to get sick (distemper for example as mentioned above).

Once they get their adult cat shot, they are pretty much good for life. Even with rabies but it is still required by law. Vaccinations last for years. If they are indoors, I believe it can actually do more harm then good to keep getting them revaccinated every single year. It is however important to have your cat receive a basic checkup yearly. I think vets just tell you to bring the cat in for vaccinations every year just so they can actually check out the cat in general. People tend to think if nothing looks wrong, then there is nothing wrong.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
22 cats here. Two reasons I don't. I have had bad experience in past with two different cats having reactions-one had a lump and vet was ready to biopsy but it started going down and the otehr cat got REAL sick. Other reason is I'd have to use 5 different vet clinics cause of the limit laws in town and money to pay would be upwards of 100-150 a cat. I've never had anything major(just cat colds) and cats that I had to euth were not realted to anything shots could have helped(urinary block, seizures to to brain tumor, liver failure(was abused and starved from 2wks -1 yo then I had him for 5 ish yrs) Two of my cats were taken in 3 times as kittens vac/tested the whole thing...they were revaced at 1 yo...I notice no difference from them and the other 20. RJ

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also meant to add I go to the shelter clinic and get the cats spayed/neutered with a 3 way shot and rabies done the day of surgery. Thats all they get for life. RJ

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get the kittens shots for sure. I am not positive but I believe the rabbies vaccine is only required for dogs by law not cats. I'll look this up later because if it is required for cats I need to get mine vaccinated.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rabies is required for cats as well, because they can get it. Rabies is a zoonotic disease because it can be transmitted to people as well, and they don't want cats and dogs to become a resevior for the disease.