Shots given to pregnant cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For those still following this topic, the kittens-three males and two females- are doing great so far at three weeks old. They are starting to explore, play and groom themselves. The vet shouldn't have given the mother the shots, sedation and worming without asking me, but I suppose he knew what he was doing as far as kitten development at that stage.  There was a moment when I thought one of them might have CH, but she doesn't.

youknowitstrieu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How far along was she when the vaccine was administered? My cat is in a similar situation and got vaccinated without knowing she was 5 weeks pregnant..

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How far along was she when the vaccine was administered? My cat is in a similar situation and got vaccinated without knowing she was 5 weeks pregnant..
She was around 5-6 weeks pregnant. I know this because she had the kittens exactly one month after I got her to the vet. The vet was not there when I took her in - I had gotten her in a crate and just took her. The vet tech said I could leave her overnight. The vet never called to consult me about the shots, nor that he put her under to examine her. I worried the entire pregnancy that something would be wrong with the kittens. I consulted friends who were nurses - one an OB nurse, and I even called another vet in town. They assured me things would be okay, but I still worried. The kittens were perfect, all five of them. One spent her time on her back a lot and was the last to do things but according to my friends who adopted her, she ended up being a 12 pounder and can leap in the air to catch a ball! She looks like a splayed frog in the group photo though. She's the top kitten in the bottom picture.

kittens 19.jpg
Kitten 1.jpg
Kittens 28.jpg

Last edited:

youknowitstrieu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This thread is so old, but thanks for the reply! I’ve been searching all over the web and it’s been making me worry sick about the pregnancy. My cat got the fvrcp shot that was a modified live vaccine. I heard there’s also killed vaccine type that is safe for pregnant cats where it doesn’t contain the harmful bacteria. Do you know If your vet gave you the safe killed vaccine or the fvrcp modified live vaccine?

I’m glad your kitties were healthy and had no problems. They are so adorable!

I know I can’t really find the answer on here because all cats handle the vaccine differently, but this post kind of ease my mind. I will have to wait a couple more weeks, expecting date may 5.

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet knew she was pregnant but I'm not sure what vaccine they gave her but he gave her all her shots, wormed her, and put her under anesthesia to do all of these things because she was a stray - abandoned in the neighborhood. I can't find the paperwork. I don't use that vet any longer. He should have contacted me for permission to do those things.

I know how much you are worrying, and I feel for you. I imagined all sorts of scenarios. I can't say for sure how it will turn out because there are so many variables. Mine was an abandoned cat in the neighborhood I'd been feeding for a few months so she hadn't had the easiest of lives in general. Your cat hasn't lost the kittens since the shots so they are probably going to be okay. In any case, don't blame yourself.

Keep me updated!

youknowitstrieu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat I took in is also a stray that I’ve been feeding for a few weeks. It was raining one week and meowing at my window so I took her in and decided to keep her. I guess the time I took her in she was in heat, but I didn’t think of it much since I’m fairly a new cat owner. I have one fixed male cat at home and never had a female before.
It’s been a week snd a half since the vaccination and her tummy is slowly getting larger. So hoping for the best. Here’s a picture of mama Bella

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's so pretty. She looks like one of Henryetta's kittens. I knew mine was pregnant because I saw her mating with a big orange Tom. Henryetta is a Torbie with white. None of her kittens looked like her, but they were clearly from the same father.