Shots for Spica....I'm afraid to do it!

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hate to lose one. No matter the reason I blame myself. I could never be a vet because of that.
That's always hard.

I volunteered at the local shelter for many years and filled in as Acting Director when we were between Directors (I was a Board member and on the Executive Committee.) I've made lots of difficult euthanasia decisions, and while it's never easy some are harder than others. Unfortunately there's just not enough space, or homes, for all the animals that come in the door. I also went through the training and have euthanized a number of animals. I felt strongly that I could not ask the staff members to perform this duty if I was not willing to do it myself. (By the way, I'm the only board member that ever went through this training.) I can tell you it is a VERY difficult and depressing task. The people that have to carry out this duty deeply love the animals in their care and do all they can for them.

George

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Gothic_Amethyst
I dont see how you stayed sane doing that. I never could.
It was easily the most difficult part of the whole thing. We lived for the animals that got adopted and went home. Many times I helped someone find the right dog or cat and watched it go to a happy home, and went somewhere where no one could see and cried. I helped a friend find a dog, and later told her how if affected me. She cried too.

George

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most cats I have had at one time was 32. They were all ferals/strays or kittens except 5 of mine. I 'tamed' them and gave them away. All the work I did with them made me connect with them very well. I always hated to have to give them away because it hurt so much. It was like giving away a child. I knew it had to be done though because I couldnt keep that many and I 'tamed' them so they could go to a home where they would be loved instead of captured and euthenized. I now have 4 I'm keeping, two 5-6 month kittens, two tortoises (one pregg), 1 long hair stray and her 1 kitten( about 1 month)a total of 10. I keep telling myself that once they are gone that's it. I know though that if another stray shows up hungry the whole proccess with start again.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
32 cats at one time!!! You are a remarkable person.

I have my 8 cats but also the neighborhood stray "Mamma Cat" who goes to the vet on Wednesday to be spayed. Her latest 3 kittens will be 8 weeks old that day, and I'll be looking for homes for them. (Mamma Cat will most likely become one of our kitties.) Her last litter of 4 all were very sad. One of our dogs (Shannon) killed the two girls (she didn't consider them part of her family - she's fine with our 8 cats!) and the two boys disapeared at about 12 weeks (driven off by mamma or local male?) I believe there was another in the latest litter which may also have been killed by one of our dogs. Now our Queen dog (Hope) appears to have decided these cats are part of our family (still not sure!) If Hope decides they're OK then all the dogs will accept them (or Hope will put the dog in line!) We've never had an issue when I've gone through a proper introduction, so if Mamma Cat's lab tests are OK I'll bring them all in.

This is Hope and our youngest cat, June Bug.

George

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by CharmsDad
32 cats at one time!!! You are a remarkable person.
Her last litter of 4 all were very sad. One of our dogs (Shannon) killed the two girls.....and the two boys disapeared at about 12 weeks
This is Hope and our youngest cat, June Bug.
Lol...thanks, but what makes you think I'm remarkable? I just took them in cause I didnt want to see them starve or be caught and taken to the pound like my grandmother wanted.
I have lost several too. Kittens that were sick but too young to be helped by a vet and adults that have diseapeared. I live next to a paylake, so who knows. Losing them is the hardest part...especially finding them. I'm not sure if I could've kept the dogs after that.
June Bug is cute! Who doesnt like black and white.

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by WellingtonCats
I haven't waded through all the posts here
but I was just wondering, if Spica has had her shots yet?
No not yet. Spicas teething and not feeling good. I wanted to wait until she felt better since the shots will make her feel bad too. I plan to get her shots and fixed soon. I'll let you all know when I do. Promise.

charmsdad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
but what makes you think I'm remarkable?
Looking after 32 cats at once, caring for them all, and finding homes. That's pretty remarkable.

June Bug is cute! Who doesnt like black and white.
Thanks, she's a special little girl. She was an underaged, undersized little thing at the shelter when my wife saw her there. She decided this little girl just had to come home. She's two now and still a runt, but a happy and healthy girl.

Here's another, more recent, picture of her with Hope and Charm:

George