shorthair reed but shedding alot

97guns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have some kind of short haired cat, maybee american or something. he is pure white and were always finding his hair in our food. im pretty sure it falls off our clothing when were cooking the food because i always see it on my shirt. i brush him maybee once a week but it seems that no matter how much i brush him the shedding never ceases.

does anyone have any tips? im tired of seeing his hair in our food.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you could lint-roll your clothes before you cook if you think that's where it's coming from. Don't let him on cooking/eating surfaces...

Cats shed, there's no way around that. I'm not sure what kind of climate you live in, but Holland seems to shed more in the wintertime.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In addition, cat hair can be airborne, so it's pretty hard to completely eliminate it.

Call it extra roughage.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shedding is strongly tied into what your cat is eating. Some foods just don't work well for some cat's coats.
What are you feeding him?
What are you brushing him with? Do you use a deshedding tool?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Short haired cats can shed just as much if not more than long haired. All depends on how dense the coat is. My cats (Ocicats) have short, close lying fur and don't shed much at all.

Diet can help with some cats, or as strange wings suggested a deshedding tool or brush him more often if he needs it.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As others mentioned, the diet usually plays a big part in these things. You could also try to start giving salmon oil to him, it can be found in most pet stores.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

97guns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks , i just ordered a furminator off ebay for $7 - its worth a shot. ive been searching and checking out youtube, looks like it might work.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 97guns

thanks , i just ordered a furminator off ebay for $7 - its worth a shot. ive been searching and checking out youtube, looks like it might work.
Thing is you have to use it more than once a week.

I've been breathing and eating cat hair my whole life with no ill effects, but I know some people are more squeamish about it than others.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
White kitties, IMO, seem to shed more than any other color. I furminate my white girls a few times a week, & they also get regular baths.

That said, I still eat cat hair, I'm sure.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

White kitties, IMO, seem to shed more than any other color. I furminate my white girls a few times a week, & they also get regular baths.

I don't think they do. It's just that you'd have to be wearing white or very light colors and have very light or white furniture in your home not to notice it as much.

My black cat doesn't shed that much (short coat without a dense undercoat) and usually I never notice it. But the towel I keep in a spare laundry basket (her new bed
) is covered in black fur. I pull dark cat hair out of my food as much as I do light colored.

If one pays attention, sometimes you can come across items in stores that say "The chef is not responsible for cat hair" or order them online.
At least it makes the situation a little humorous.

97guns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so i got the furminator today and went at it right away on Rukus, a ton of hair came up, i'll do it again every other day or so untill it starts to slow down.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be careful with the furminator. It is a deshedding tool, not a regular grooming tool. Use it too much and you will damage a cat's coat.

I prefer to use it no more than once or twice a week on my DSHs.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ghost isn't white... he is like... off white... tan and gray. But he most definitely sheds more than the others. (Siamese snowshoe mix)

97guns

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Be careful with the furminator. It is a deshedding tool, not a regular grooming tool. Use it too much and you will damage a cat's coat.

I prefer to use it no more than once or twice a week on my DSHs.
thanks for that

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also find that a long styling comb... fine-tooth... works well on even short haired cats with dense coats, like my Rex. And works well on medium-coated Archie. I furminate, brush and comb several times a week. I have noticed more hair coming up now that it is winter. I have to wonder if it's because they have somewhat heavier coats for the season eventho they are not outdoor cats.

I also use the Furm only a couple times a week.. the combing really seems to soften their fur and make it shiny.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the furminator a few times a week but I have used it almost every day before(when I got less than 5 mins to use it.) Attitude and Nuts don't sit still so I get maybe 5-10 mins at most to use it so I'm not doing long grooming sessions. Attitude also sheds if you look at her wrong due to her long Maine Coon hair. I still wouldn't use it daily unless you are getting really short grooming sessions, a few times a week is better.

Also, if you bathe your cat the Furminator shampoo works great, I use it on Attitude or Nuts when they blow their coats or start shedding like crazy.

Taryn

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taryn

I use the furminator a few times a week but I have used it almost every day before(when I got less than 5 mins to use it.) Attitude and Nuts don't sit still so I get maybe 5-10 mins at most to use it so I'm not doing long grooming sessions. Attitude also sheds if you look at her wrong due to her long Maine Coon hair. I still wouldn't use it daily unless you are getting really short grooming sessions, a few times a week is better.

Also, if you bathe your cat the Furminator shampoo works great, I use it on Attitude or Nuts when they blow their coats or start shedding like crazy.

Taryn
Yes... my info is an average.... I have one cat who would let me brush him bald... others I have to pin and hold and get in a few swipes here and there.