Shorthair cat doesn't clean his bum?

mactabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've seen a lot of threads asking about cats with long hair or big bellies who have issues cleaning their butts, but I was just wondering what I can do to start teaching my ~5 month old kitten some better bum hygiene. He had some issues with diarrhea that seem to be being resolved (waiting on PCR test results, but he's improved significantly since adopting him), but even with solid poops he has a lot of crusties. I thought it was anal gland issues for a bit, before the cling-ons were finally cleaned off. 

I've tried catching him after he poops and gently wiping at his bum with a wet toilet paper, so he'd be encouraged to lick it off, but that doesn't seem to have worked yet. Is this just maybe me being inconsistent with it? Or, are there better ways to teach him better hygiene? 

(if it's worth noting, he groomed himself a lot less when I adopted him at ~3 months, and I'm proud he's starting to clean his fur and stuff more often, but his bum is not quite as much a priority for him I guess...)

olivial

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Where did you get him from? If he was from any sort of hoarding issue, the conditions probably not the best, so he might be used to just being dirty. Or, he just might not understand the need to clean its butt. Just my input. It might not be the issue, but I hope it helps. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mactabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Where did you get him from? If he was from any sort of hoarding issue, the conditions probably not the best, so he might be used to just being dirty. Or, he just might not understand the need to clean its butt. Just my input. It might not be the issue, but I hope it helps. 
He was a rescue through a locally owned pet store. But, there were a TON of cats there all roaming around the store together, so it may very well be that.