short of denying her water

jingles_my_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Short of denying Jingles water, what can I do to get her to stop spilling the bowl all over and moving them around the place?? I understand she moves her food bowl when she is hungry, but she is constantly spilling the water bowl. It's a plastic, wider on the bottom bowl w/ rubber on the bottom to keep it from moving and spilling. It's not working. I put a pad under the eating area to keep her from moving the bowls. She thinks it's more fun that way and spills more. She is ruining the baseboards by having them constantly wet. And I'm tired of wet feet in the morning when I stumble w/ eyes half closed past her food area. HELP!

And yes, the water is clean. I clean the bowl and water every morning. I've tried various heights of water too.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try something heavier like ceramic. It might help if it is further away from her food, cats don't always like water near their food.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Place different types of bowls/mugs in various places in your home. Maybe she prefers her water dish up on a counter or something. I have a mug with a wide brim on the counter in one bathroom and bowls in 2 bedrooms. We also have a water fountain.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a girl like that at the shelter. Geisha just LOVES playing in her water bowl. We finally cut it down a lot by getting a set of raised bowls. They have a sort of wire support to hold them up about 6 inches.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Square ceramic baking pans are not tippable.

However many cats love to play in water. Put the heavy ceramic baking pans on a shallow tray to contain spilled water.

Mazy drags the heavy glass water bowls. Just enough so that I don't notice and trip over them because they are about an inch off from where I put them. I swear I hear muffled kitty snickering every time I trip over the water bowl.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jingles_my_cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the great tips.

Sometimes I wonder if she is trying to kill me. When I walk down the stairs to the basement to do laundry (carrying a laundry basket), she comes charging from wherever she is in the house and runs under my feet to trip me. I've now learned to stop where I am when I hear her charging me.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's all normal cat behavior. You'll adjust.
(You've already learned to stop when she gets under your feet on the stairs!)

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you move the bowl into the tub/shower? We had ours in there for a year when we got 2 kittens

The steps is normal...my old man cat used to do that up till 12 yo or so

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The idea of a tray is the most practical and one I use. Try putting the bowl inside a largeish plastic seed tray or even litter tray. Then even if it is moved the spills won't matter.

ckovacs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
2 of the 3 of our boys spill theirs. They first scratch around it and then grab it and move it. and it spills it all around. I just deal. They have one of those automatic waters so it can just keep coming if they want to keep spilling, haha. I wipe up the water that is on the floor and well, that's it. We all have our weird quirks and this is one of theirs. Silly goobers. I personally can't stand it. The better half thinks it's hilarious.