Short haired kitten from 2 Persians? WHAT IS THIS CREATURE? :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

winkyadink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

After looking at the photos again, I believe she will be long haired - maybe not the dripping, hair to the floor  type, but she isn't going to be the typical short haired cat either. Did  the vet do a fungal test? Whatever, she is adorable!!!
The vet used a black light and said he saw some green crusties on her legs and gave me some Miconazole 1% lotion. 

I can't wait to see what she grows up into! Either way, she's my little sidekick now :) 

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet used a black light and saw very small hints of green on the spots on her leg. Until I was able to go to the vet, I used some generic clotrimazole on the spots and I guess the spot on her shoulders was easier to get to and more effective because it didn't have the green highlights under the black light. They changed her over to Miconazole 1% (which she just LOVES haha). Here's the spot between her shoulders, the lotion makes her greasy:

She has bald and/or crusty spots on 3 legs and now her tail. I also ordered some Dechra DermaBenSs shampoo and Limeplus Dip because  I have a hard time getting the Miconazole on her legs and tail where the areas are completely covered. Does that look ringworm-y? 

Thank you for your help! :)

Bald and crusty could mean ringworm but as far as I am aware, ringworm does not cause the black fungus (it is for sure fungus right?).

Last edited:

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now that you've posted better pictures, it definitely looks like ringworm to me.

winkyadink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's such a cutie

Is she doing any better? Is the meducine the vet gave you working?
Honestly, it's really hard to tell. The spot on her shoulder blades and the one on her lip look a lot better/regrowing hair, but the leg spots are still pretty bare. Her tail right now is the worst, I didn't even realize she was infected there until I noticed a gap in her tail hair and it's pretty bad :( I think it's just really hard to get the legs and tail spots covered with the liquid Miconazole. She's a very good kitten, but the tail in particularly is hard. I think it might be painful since there's alcohol in it. I'm going to give her a second limesulfur dip soon, and try to get to my regular vet if there's not an improvement soon. I actually fell in love with her face/got her when I was out of town, so the vet she saw a couple weeks ago was just one that had some good reviews and accepted walk ins. 

winkyadink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's such a cutie

Is she doing any better? Is the meducine the vet gave you working?
I took her to the vet again today! Winky now has an antibiotic for a respiratory infection, and some Miconazole shampoo to add to the 1% lotion and the Dechra Limeplus dip I bought. I bet she can't wait to not be covered in lotions and shampoos and dips!

raina21

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet again today! Winky now has an antibiotic for a respiratory infection, and some Miconazole shampoo to add to the 1% lotion and the Dechra Limeplus dip I bought. I bet she can't wait to not be covered in lotions and shampoos and dips!
Awww poor baby :( hopefully all the medications kick in quickly so she has a fast recovery. Any idea how she got so sick? Hopefully her littermates are doing alright!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In our considerable experience with a particularly stubborn strain of ringworm (not at my house forrtunately!), we found the absolute BEST restuls came from bathing them in KetoChlor shampoo.  It is a combination of ketoconozole (stronger than miconozole) and chlorhexadine.  This worked on kittens that lime sulfur had done nothing for, and it worked quickly.  You can find it online (google it) at many vet supply companies.  I don't remember if she needed a prescription or not, since she is a rescue, but your vet may have to order it.  Best of all, no rotten eggs smell like the lime sulfur!!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Odd you couldnt find the KetoChlor shampoo.  It's made by VIRBAC and a lot of our normal web supply companies  

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/ketochlor-shampoo

http://www.1800petmeds.com/KetoChlor+Shampoo-prod10498.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9641

However, the one you are using is the exact same ingredients, ketoconazole and chlorhexadine, so basically you ARE using the shampoo that I recommended, and it is working for you also.  Good to know!.  Hmmm.  You have not listed your location on your profile.  Perhaps you are not in the U.S.??  That would explain why you couldn't find the KetoChlor easily.  In any case, you are now using the only thing that cleared up that tough strain here so I have no more recommendations. 

Last edited:

winkyadink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Odd you couldnt find the KetoChlor shampoo.  It's made by VIRBAC and a lot of our normal web supply companies  

http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/ketochlor-shampoo

http://www.1800petmeds.com/KetoChlor+Shampoo-prod10498.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9641

However, the one you are using is the exact same ingredients, ketoconazole and chlorhexadine, so basically you ARE using the shampoo that I recommended, and it is working for you also.  Good to know!.  Hmmm.  You have not listed your location on your profile.  Perhaps you are not in the U.S.??  That would explain why you couldn't find the KetoChlor easily.  In any case, you are now using the only thing that cleared up that tough strain here so I have no more recommendations. 
Oh sorry, I wasn't super clear! I am in the US (Texas).I had ordered the other stuff through Entirelypets, and when I searched for KetoChlor it came back with a Virbac lotion that was out of stock with the recommendation of the ChloraSeb shampoo. I did eventually find the KetoChlor at 1800pets when I could search on my computer vs my phone. Thank you for the links though :) 

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
People who know more than me: could this be a flea allergy? Has she been treated for fleas?

I just came across this post randomly(adorable little girl!) and her condition looks very similar to what I've seen with cats who were especially allergic to fleas/other substances. Either way, I hope she gets better soon. When one of my boys had suspected ringworm my vet said the black light test was unreliable and he scraped and cultured the area. You might want to ask about doing that. Good luck.

winkyadink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We've had another trip to our regular vet for vaccinations, and he gave us the Keto-Chlor shampoo! Well, a different brand (Stratford Keto-C), but the same active ingredients. She also get another bottle of Miconazole liquid, different antibiotics (mixed in fish oil! I didn't know this was done for cats, but I hope she likes it better than the last stuff) and some antibiotic eye drops since her upper respiratory infection wasn't completely cleared up. 

Someday she'll be healthy and less crusty, I hope!

winkyadink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She was treated with Revolution :) 

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it does look like ringworm - been there, done that twice before with cats I brought in. However, without a fungal assay (skin scraping) test it can not be diagnosed as ringworm with 100% accuracy. There are other fungal infections that glow green under the Woods lamp. We had the best results with lime dip as stinky as it is. Of course this was at least 10 years ago so things have probably changed since then.

winkyadink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to let everyone know that Winky is doing well! Her ringworm cleared up, her hair is mostly grown back (the tail is still filling in since it was the last to clear up) and she's growing! She is indeed a shorthair :) 

cmayau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Winky is a absolutely gorgeous! It's amazing how much they grow and change in the first few months. I'm glad to hear that the ringworm has cleared up. :)