Shopping Lessons - forever learning

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I went to Petsmart today to take advantage of the 15% friends and family coupon. The main thing I wanted was another carrier. I have carriers for my cats, but some are very old (like 40-50 years old) and they are basically made of plasticized cardboard. We need upgrades. And because of all the natural disasters that occur everywhere all the time, I want one good carrier per cat.

The ones I really like are Petmate 2-door deluxe, size medium. They are sturdy, with end and top doors. The latches for the doors are secure and easy to open one-handed. And the whole thing comes apart into two pieces, should any cat be so completely freaked that no one can get them out without leather gauntlets (hasn't happened to me yet, but then Ariel is young).

So, I found the carrier I wanted already on sale at Petsmart for $9.00 off. Regular price is $44.99 and sale price (with Petsperks card) is $35.99. Then I got 15% off of that - $5.40. Making the price $30.59. But then I had to pay sales tax - 9.5%. So the end, total price was $33.50.

So, I just checked on Amazon, and the exact same carrier, at the best price (many widely different listings for same carrier) is $28.53 total - free shipping.

Sigh. Thankfully, I still want (need!?!) more of these carriers, so I'm getting one at Amazon.

Robin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, they kept the coupon for that discount. I only bought one carrier there today, thank goodness! I could take it back and get a refund. But then I have to weigh if the trip (over 5 miles) is worth the time and energy, and gas. I did buy other things - food, toys and brush. And those toys and brush I can only get at Petsmart. So, it wasn't a waste. And I did get 15% off the carrier that was already on sale. However, I could have done better. And nearly always I find that I can do better at Amazon. So why didn't I think of that before I went and bought the thing?

I should own stock in Amazon.

Robin

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if they kept the coupon, if you return an item that you used a coupon on, they should still be able to allow you to apply that 15% on something else?

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, maybe, but I doubt they'd do that. There is nothing else I want there anyway. And the trip isn't worth the $5.00 I'd save by taking the carrier back.

Most of the cat food I buy isn't carried at Petsmart. I have to go to Petco for that.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HI
. I also have two of those Petmate double door carriers but in the small. I just love them and the cats are comfortable in them too, but they are small. I am going to AMAZON to buy a couple of the medium sizes. I do have crates for everybody but two are really, really old and small. Like you, I want to be prepared for an emergency with all of this crazy weather. Thanks for the info!!!
I am even putting together a first aid kit as well for us and for the cats.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one medium-large carrier that is old! I think I actually picked up at a dumpster! It's all plastic with a plastic door and the top is held to the bottom with some kind of plastic key-type locks. However, the top post on the door is broken and 2 of the key-type locks are missing, so I'm using heavy plastic coated wire ties to hold it together.

I also have a new one that I bought a month or so ago. It's considered a "Medium", but it's so much smaller than the one I have. However the one I have is so much smaller than the large ones I saw.

I have 3 cats now, and while the kittens could probably fit together in the larger carrier, I don't think the carrier is strong enough to hold their combined weight.

So I really need to invest in 2 more carriers. They're not too bad at Walmart. I paid $25.00 for their medium. I find that everything is so much more expensive at a pet store. When I was shopping for stuff for Spencer and Katie, it was winter and bitterly cold. I'm talking -40 or more degrees! So I went to the pet store across from the vet office. I paid $70 for a pet bed that I later saw at Walmart for about $30.00. Even the cat tree was double the price at the pet store. But I was in a hurry and I hate shopping and I don't drive so I needed to shop some place nearby where I could take a taxi. Walmarts are way out of my way across the city.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not driving must make it all so difficult. Do you have a friend who can drive you in exchange for lunch or something? How is Amazon for shipping to Canada?

I have philosophical problems with Walmart Corp., so I don't shop there. But I know the prices are good.

Robin

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

Not driving must make it all so difficult. Do you have a friend who can drive you in exchange for lunch or something? How is Amazon for shipping to Canada?

I have philosophical problems with Walmart Corp., so I don't shop there. But I know the prices are good.

Robin
Amazon.com won't ship to Canada, and unfortunately Amazon.ca doesn't have most of the stuff shown on Amazon.com. Here it's largely a book site, or so it seems.

Yes, not driving is a PITA. I do have friends and occasionally we go shopping to out of the way places like Walmart.

One day I'll buy another car because I am not able to take public transportation anymore. I use a disability transportation service that picks me up at my front door and drops me off at the door of the place I need to be. I get very short of breath when walking and have a large amount of back pain that prevents me from walking very far. With a car I could get a Handi Parking tag that would allow me to park in the spots closest to the doors.

I can afford to buy a car, but I just don't know what is holding me back. Every year I say "next year" and next year comes and goes and I don't buy one. I think it's the expense. I'd rather put the money into the bank.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, the major pet supply stores are the worst place to buy anything -- the prices are always outrageous. We're lucky to have a Pet Supplies Plus near us, a low-end, warehousey sort of chain that's usually not as bad.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol, my boyfriend compares everything in-store to Amazon and I have to remind him that Everything online is cheaper. *rolls eyes*

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I kind of had my own little "price savings" at Safeway today. I needed AA batteries, and found some at the front of the store: packages of 8 Duracel that were buy one get one free. So I grabbed 2. As I was sitting at the back of the store in the pharmacy resting my back before carrying on with shopping, I noticed that one of the end displays also had batteries. I went over and looked. A package of 16 was under $12.00. Whereas the buy one get one free package of 8 was about $14.00. So I saved $2.00 just because I happened to notice a different display.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon was only books in the U.S. originally. At some point they changed so that now one can buy EVERYTHING from them. A lot of it comes from outside suppliers, and then you have to pay shipping charges. But they are quite reasonable.

Seriously? About the batteries? In the same store at the same time? That's annoying.

Cars are a very big expense.

Robin

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Thank goodness you only bought the one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes! And I was tempted to buy two because of the sale price and 15% discount. But I was trying to space out buying them since I need so many.

The one I got yesterday is a lovely wine color. I cleaned it; put it together; put a thick, cozy towel in the bottom, and taped my name, address, and phone numbers securely to the outside. So, we are set to go.

I have another medium one coming from Amazon. I still need two more after that (and maybe a third because I'm very close to adopting ANOTHER!!! cat - Lord help me!). I'm thinking I should consider even larger ones than the medium for my two boy cats. They should be able to sit up in the carrier, right? The Petmate 2 door deluxe show on the tag a cat picture with 11" as the height of the sitting cat (floor to roof is 12"). I think my boys are taller than that when sitting. I'll have to measure them. IF I can get them to cooperate.

Robin

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I am even putting together a first aid kit as well for us and for the cats.
I'd be very interested to know what you have in mind for this. Maybe start a thread regarding this?

R.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Seriously? About the batteries? In the same store at the same time? That's annoying.
Yes. Same store. Same batteries. They have batteries up front by the customer service, at most of the check outs, and along some side and end displays in various aisles throughout the store.

I don't really understand why they have them scattered all over the place. I picked up the buy one get one free at the front of the store in an end display by the checkouts. Then I found the 16 pack at the back of the store.

elayman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yes! And I was tempted to buy two because of the sale price and 15% discount. But I was trying to space out buying them since I need so many.

The one I got yesterday is a lovely wine color. I cleaned it; put it together; put a thick, cozy towel in the bottom, and taped my name, address, and phone numbers securely to the outside. So, we are set to go.

I have another medium one coming from Amazon. I still need two more after that (and maybe a third because I'm very close to adopting ANOTHER!!! cat - Lord help me!). I'm thinking I should consider even larger ones than the medium for my two boy cats. They should be able to sit up in the carrier, right? The Petmate 2 door deluxe show on the tag a cat picture with 11" as the height of the sitting cat (floor to roof is 12"). I think my boys are taller than that when sitting. I'll have to measure them. IF I can get them to cooperate.

Robin
The Petmate Vari Kennel is listed as $46.07 at Amazon now (48% off !). It is a medium size dog carrier but large enough for all 3 of mine to be together, sturdy enough for all, and turned bottom up it's very easy for them to get in and out of backfeet first (they are calm and malleable
).

The vets love it too - although I try to space out the visits since 20 lbs (for 2) plus the weight of the carrier itself is not fun for techs or ME to carry even to the back room. One poor lady nearly collapsed under the load last week.

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-Kennel.../dp/B000MLG484

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I have to have the two doors. After having that, I'll never go back to just an end door.

In a pinch, there are some combinations of pairs of my cats I could put together in a carrier. But mostly not. And I'm not buying all these carriers for vet visits. I'm getting them in case of emergency, in case we have to evacuate, or keep them in a safe area of the basement. They each need their own because they could be housed in these for many hours, or longer.

Bigger is better. But I have to be able to handle them, and get them all in my station wagon.

Robin