Shopping at Thrift Stores

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

I think the media would like you to think that the problem is more common in welfare families when in reality it can affect anyone at any time anywhere.

Just because they are called "bed" bugs doesn't mean that they are only present in beds.

Like I said, the media is willing to write anything in such a way that we think its a "dirty poor people problem."
Bedbugs are no means a low income, welfare family problem. I read that they have been found in Bloomingdales, NYC. I think that people just need to exercise caution if they buy in thrift stores. We already know that drying at 120 degrees will kill bedbugs. Therefore, if you buy clothing, bring it to the washer in a plastic bag and then wash and dry it. Anything else should be inspected and cleaned before you bring it inside the house. As far as trying on clothes, this is what I do, even in retail stores. Never set your purse on the floor. Put it in the chair or hang it up. Sit down to remove your clothing and not let it touch the carpeting. Hang it on a hanger. Get dressed the same way, by not letting your clothing touch the floor. If you buy clothing that can't be washed and then dryed on hot heat, dry it in the dryer first and then wash it. I love thrift store shopping and really hate to think I would have to give it up.

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I think this is all pretty paranoid. Those creatures have been around for ages and all of a sudden, there is a panic???

I have bought clothes and books at both thrift stores and yard sales and have never seen a bedbug. I have stayed in hostels and have never seen a bed bug.

I think it is just another panic the media is trying to spread since the swine and bird flu petered out. They gotta have some sort of "epidemic" to report on.