Shop Or Home?

lachistera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
I just bought a 3 month cat. But I have to leave on holidays until august.
Is it better to let her stay in the shop (other cats and animals), or give her to a friend to take care until I come back?

Thanks!

Daniel

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the shop will let you leave her, do that.

You wouldn't want to get her used to another environment (your friends) then take her out of that and into another new one (yours), that could be very stressful. You might need to offer to pay boarding fees if they'll let you leave her.

You should really plan your own time around things like bringing new animals home as it's terribly cruel to bring her home then up & leave. In future if you get another, maybe wait until after your holidays/commitments before signing up to take on a pet - just some friendly advice :)

But I'd definitely not be keen to take her somewhere new temporarily as moving home can be very stressful for cats.

Enjoy your holiday & your cat when you're back :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In general, the less upheaval and new surroundings, the better off your kitten will be. If the shop is ok with her staying there, this is probably the best answer for you. Now, if you have someone who can stay in your home with the kitten, and whom you can trust implicitly, then that would be even better!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on getting a new kitten. :catlove:

I don't think I'd want to let my kitten get close to someone else before I even got her home. So I think if it were me, and the shop is agreeable, I'd leave her with them until you get back from holidays.

Is there anyway to shorten your trip? It just seems sad that you will be missing out on 3 months of your cat's kitten phase.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For me, it would depend on the situation with the shop. Is this an open area where kittens run and play, or would she be in a small cage for three months? If it's a cage, I would vote for the kitten being "fostered."

You probably don't want to hear this, but is it possible to change your mind with the store? You can always get another kitten in the fall after you return. It sounds like maybe this was an impulse purchase. You may be better situated to have one later.