Shop Cats

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The UPS Store near my house has a shop dog. He is an enormous harlequin Great Dane. He stays behind the counter, rears up and plants his paws on it. It is mandatory to pet him. The owners even put his picture on their store sign.

When my ex and I had a firefighting-themed store, we took our Dalmatian to the shop, every day. She was a great hook, to get kids in and, of course, the parents followed. She loved kids and we frequently had a swarm of kids, with a spotty tail sticking out of it. On her birthday, we had a "Boss' Birthday Sale", with 20% off all Dalamtian-themed items.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was just reminded of a bookshop that I used to go into fairly frequently (it moved a year or so ago, to a less convenient location). They had a wonderful old basset hound, who checked everyone out on the way in. He was neat. Wonder if they still have him -- I think he was getting on.

lilysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The florist I used for my wedding had a shop cat. It was a homeless cat that just kind of wandered in one day and just kind of stayed.

I was worried at first for people who are allergic to cats (my mother was, so I think that way), but thinking about it, I don't think they would be in the shop long enough for the symptoms to start showing up.

So now that that worry is out of my mind, I think it's a great idea! I loved socializing with the kitty as I picked out my wedding pictures, and I think it's a great idea to give homeless kitties some good homes.

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I took Cinnamon in for her haircut, they had a resident cat that they had rescued.

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I remember at the Sacramento SPCA they had a resident dog named Duncan, he was a HUGE Anapolian Sheperd (I think they are the largest dog?) He was ultimately supposed to go up for adoption but they loved him so much they kept him with them in the office. He was the sweetest dog on earth and would put his front paws on the desk and stand up (he would be taller then all of us) and he would just want loving. He passed away due to old age but he was such a great dog, they even named a store after him that is inside the SPCA!

Is it just me or do almost all vets that have cats have large or fat cats? Our vet had a very very large orange kitty!

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet has a HUGE dog behind the counter all the time. He also puts his paws on the counter and expects pettings, the cats are NOT ammused with this however!

I think all shoep should have pets, it makes them (at least to me) a little less "formal" and more of a homey shop to me.