Shooting on campus... my campus

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How scary! Be safe! And I have never heard of that triple action pepper spray....I will have to keep that in mind when I start classes at a larger campus in the fall.....

That UV stuff is an EXCELLENT idea though

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I think sometimes Gateway gives people a false sense of security. It's all so new and shiny and has its own security (which... where were they???) that people think they're safe. There is a lot of crime there, in part attracted to it by Gateway. I wouldn't want you in th SN at night either! Same false security there... one or two blocks of High and you are not safe at all.
Exactly what I was thinking...I know all areas you have to be safe and practice safety, but the developers had to know that campus crime isn't going to stay on its own few blocks.

BTW, about the mace- when I worked at the jail downtown in the clinic for the inmates, we had an officer have to use mace on an inmate out of control. That stuff lingers in the hall, and when I was running down to take saline to wash out the inmates and some of the surrounding officers eyes, I could feel it in my own eyes and in my nose, minutes after it had been sprayed. I can't imagine having it full force in your face!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea, and it was only 11 at night! All those bars/restaurants are still open then, and usually on Sat it is very busy. I know it was easer weekend, but still!

I have an update, this is getting worse and scary. My whole family came to visit yesterday, and thank GOD we went out! My new baby nephew was here for his first trip out of town
Anyway, we got back and my neighbor told me about something that happened while we were out right outside here... at like 4 in the afternoon!

Apparently the youth group or whatever it is across the street (it seems like a church, but there's no sign outside, I think the building is used for the youth groups of the church behind it) had a massive brawl with 40 or 50 people in the street, I don't know what they were fighting about, but the cops came and at first there was only one policeman. One of the main fighters went charging at the cop and everyone tried to stop him and finally the cop pulled out his gun at the kid (at least high-school age, if not older) and he stopped. This fight went on forever, like over an hour.

I'm so glad my family wasn't around for it, a lot of cars got damaged and my mom already worries too much about me!