Shocking News From Vet

Status
Not open for further replies.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should add that Morty also has had runny nose and sneezing...maybe he stopped eating because he can't smell his food?

I talked with another vet who said that he had a cat with a similar problem and what he did was add 10 parts of water to one part Afrin and with an eyedropper put a drop or two into the affected nose and he said that cleared it right up or at least allowed him to breathe easier and smell his food
Hi (again) unigeezer .

Yes, perhaps he can't smell the food and that might explain the inappetence.

I'd caution you about using Afrin, though...first, because its taste is so awful that it causes profound drooling in cats - you can read up on it here: Oxymetazoline (Afrin®) for Dogs and Cats
Secondly, note the potential for a 'rebound' effect if it's used for more than ~3 days (as humans experience!)

Here's a reputable reference for you on common respiratory issues - and, you'll see a link there for nasal drops which provides a much more palatable option than Afrin: Harpsie's Website - cat flu (FVR and calici virus)

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't self medicate--take to the vet---with his visits and his age, he may have picked up something. Better the vet chose what to give him.

Without upsetting you, my beautiful girl was 17 with perfect blood tests ...and she was suddenly dying. Her veins wouldn't hold in water and was leaking into her stomach--likely cancer. I chose not to have an ultrasound done because the outcome would not have changed---there was nothing to be done--but, no mass was felt in my girl. What I"m saying is, there could be a lot going on, and cats are the best actors in the world---they won't show they are feeling lousy until they are ..really feeling lousy. :( I'm praying for Morty and hoping he just has some hay fever or such. Give him hugs and cuddles!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your baby girl kitty. But just curious, without an ultrasound how was your kittie's condition confirmed?

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To my utter shock and joy, Morty started eating today after almost 3 days without food! I had tried everything including tuna, fancy feast and other brands with no success, warmed, cold, etc. So today I got some all chicken baby food with a super smooth consistency, and tried to syringe feed him. He struggled a lot and didn't like the tip going in his mouth, so then I started finger feeding.

After a couple tries he seemed to settle down and started swallowing it rather than spitting it out. Then I offered him a little dollop from my finger and amazingly he licked it up. So then I put portion on his food plate and he lapped it up! But I can definitely see that he's having teeth pain and eating on one side more than the other. This was exactly why I'd taken him to the first vet in the first place!

So now I just want to build his strength back up, but not feed him too much at once, and then get him to the vet for a dental cleaning, and most likely some very needed extractions!

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor guy!! His tooth must have been really sore---I'd get him to the vet to make sure there's not infection going on--that will strain his immune system. Then, talk to them about getting his teeth checked--I hope it all works out! Glad he's eating again :)

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
See about an anti-viral for the URI. I also would say no to Afrin, but plain old saline drops would be a safe stopgap measure while waiting for the vet.

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I woke up at 3:30am to Morty having a seizure and trouble breathing. I was hysterical and took him to the 24 hour vet. He had urinated on the wall last night and was acting disoriented. After giving the vet Morty's history and all he's been going through, I made the most difficult decision in my life. I chose to end his suffering and set him free. I broke down and now back at home I am feeling so alone and devastated at losing my constant companion and best friend of 16 years. Part of me went with him. Morty is quite irreplaceable and will live in my heart and soul for the rest of my life.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, unigeezer, I am so very sorry for your loss of Morty. My heart breaks for you!
:redheartpump: :alright: :vibes: :grouphug2:

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
So many hugs to you. They do take a piece of us with them. What an awesome cat and beautiful relationship you and Morty built. I'm so sorry that you are going through this. Thanks for sharing your beautiful boy with us :grouphug2:

❤

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Vets are required by law , if you're in the US to send all of your cat's records to another vet and to give you the same records, not summary but the complete record and x-rays, ultrasounds must be loaned for a time so you can take them to another vet. Taking your cat to another vet is the right thing to do you don't want to make a decision based on a ultrasound the vet in question didn't think was worth saving.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry Morty had to go to the rainbow bridge. Hugs:grouphug2: we're here if you need to chat.

unigeezer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind words. I had to get out of the house, so I went to sit under a tree near the beach. As I sat there thinking about all the great times Morty and I had, I began writing down some words, of which every one just seemed to fit and they came right from the heart so I wrote it all down. I got home and made a little memorial to Morty with it, including some of my favorite pics of him.
MRTYRIP.jpg

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Sometimes this new format still gets me. What a beautiful tribute to your baby.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
unigeezer unigeezer I'm so sorry to hear that Morty finally lost his battle with cancer. I think you did the kindest thing possible by helping him to pass.

We always lock the thread in cases like these, so I'll lock this one now. When you feel ready please start a thread for Morty in our Crossing The Bridge Forum.

Rest In Peace Morty. You will be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.