She's gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all, my guess would be that Teresa and Sherral have a friendship beyond the board, and Sherral has shared with DragonLady some of the heartache that she had to endure while taking care of her mother-in-law for over 2 years. I think that is why the elation in this thread happened. Because most here did not know the whole scoop of what Sherral had to endure, we took it to mean that she was glad her mother in law was suffering.

In actuality (now that I know more than I did earlier), Sherral was having a release of endorphins at the relief of not having to worry about her safety or her families safety any longer. Plus in the last home where her MIL was at, she had access to a phone and she would call all hours of the night and day and upset everyone as well. Now this is just one less thing Sherral has to deal with.

And no one was slamming Sherral, they were responding without knowing the rest of the story.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dealing with an Alzheimer's patient is difficult and frustrating. As Sherral and Hissy have pointed out, it can also be dangerous and potentially life-threatening. Caregivers and family members frequently crack under the strain.

I would rather see Sherral exorcise her frustration and anger here, rather than take it out on MIL, physically. It appears that everyone in this situation is better off: both MIL and Sherral's family can live in peace and safety.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sherral and Ted:

I am sorry if I offended you with my posts, but I was offended by Sherrals post in which she expresses utter GLEE that her MIL is gone off to a nursing home. She could have, and should have, expressed sorrow that it came down to this, not celebrating it. You are so right when you say I don't know the facts, because I don't. What I do know is that there was a post saying 'she's gone' with exclamation points galore, and a pure joy in tone. And no matter what MIL did in the past, the fact is she is a mother and deserves respect. RESPECT, even in her altered condition. And I won't falter on that.

To everyone else:

I am very familiar w/ dimentia. My grandmother spent 7 years w/ it before she passed on and I watched every minute of it. It was difficult and trying at times. She too was out of control and mean and cruel. But I never once rejoiced that she was moved to a facility. I cried to think that she had deteriorated to that state. I cried to think that somewhere deep inside her soul she really did know that we had sent her to a place that wasn't home.

I don't post to things in these forums for just the chance to type. I post to things that hit me in the heart, to things I care about. And I won't apologize for it.

Edit: As an added note, I certainly didn't come into this thread to cause a problem. I am a moderator here, and I know how to 'not flame' other members. And I don't think that I flamed anyone. I saw a post ( from a members point of view, not a mods ), and I wanted to reply because I felt that the emotion and joy that was being expressed was distasteful and rude. I would never post to a subject that I wasn't knowledged on, and I feel that having had a family member w/ dimentia, I had the 'right' to voice how I felt. Just like everyone else did. For those of you who don't know me well, I am a very blunt and straight forward person. And if I see something posted that I dont' agree with ( or agree with for that matter ) I say so with no apologies. This wasn't a hit at Sherral per se, it was a hit at the idea of being overjoyed that someone's mother in law just got sent off to an institution.

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everyone needs to step back and breath for a minute. We are all friends here. People deal with things differently. No one has any right to judge anyone. yes it is sad that this person is in a nursing home now, but it sounds like it is the best and safest place for her.

I personally would be happier then hell if my mother in law was in jail right now. Now before anyone says anything you don't even know half of the story. And trust me she should be in jail but everything has been tied up in court for almost three years.

Don't judge people, i'm sure she is feeling alot of emotions right now and after everything settles down she may feel alittle different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherral46

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ted & I were brought up to take care of your own,when they get old and sick,In Ted's mom's case,she is 90 and in good health,but we could not go to work and leave her alone,she would start to cook something and forget about it,leaving it on the stove and the gas on.Or not eat at all,she she had fallen and broke her hip and it never healed right,she will allways have some pain,and has to use a walker,which she sometimes forgets to use and falls.Even in the nursing home.I have 6 grandchildern and she would scream at them

jellybelly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww, Sherral, don't feel you are on trial or have to defend your relief of putting your mother n law in a nursing home. I think all of us understand and feel what you were going through. We are all here for each other and I really think we need to give Sherral a cyber hug because it is very tough to take care of loved ones, whether related or not, when their mentality deteriates, it takes a toll on everyone, even the animals in the house. It is not an easy job to take care of someone who is doing things that is beyond their faculties nor is it easy to make the decision of putting them in a nursing home. In other countries they don't have opportunities like this, they are stuck without any help of any kind from outside the family. Not all nursing homes are bad as the ones that I have volunteered at. Think about the care takers there, that aren't even blood related, there were times that I wonder how on earth did the relatives deal with their grandmother, mother, etc because it does take a toll on you. Lets just end this thread and give Sherral a hug and each other a hug. I'll start first (((Huuuuggg)))

shell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sherral, maybe you should contact one of the Mods or Anne asking to close this thread for you.

Once again, sending you hugs!
((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hugs, Sherral.
I'm sure you've been through a whole range of emotions in this difficult time, and have every right to feel the way you do. Peace.

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I see it has been brought up here to have the thread closed. We don't normally close a thread unless the topic has gotten out of hand, which in this case it hasn't. We see there is some opinions here, strong ones at times, but everyone is handling themselves in an appropriate manner. The thread will fall off of the pages in a natural way once people stop posting to it. If anyone has any concerns, please PM one of the lounge mods and we can discuss it further.

Thanks!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sherral - I'm sorry your Mother In Law got Dementia and I know all the nasty stuff she's been doing, I'm happy for you , you can now know that you wont get hassled like that again.

Sending lots of love to both you and Ted