Shelter and stray control, what's your area like?

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reflecting on some aspects of rural life with cats and was curious to hear what other members' experiences were like.

Where I live, having cats outdoors is pretty normal. There's infinite cat populations around and very finite resources. Animal Control reportedly is overwhelmed with dogs and basically could care less about cats. The Humane Society is chronically full. Good luck even getting them to reply to your email or call you back if you want to bring in a stray.

I keep my cats collared all the time. I microchipped them, but a lot of people don't bother bringing in strays to the vet and the shelters could care less, so their microchips aren't likely to save the day if they get lost.

Plus, vets may not always scan them. One veterinary hospital admits that they don't always bother to scan stray cats.

As a cat foster mom, I'm painfully aware of the fact that each cat I take in likely would've died on the street. Only the lucky cats get to go to the shelter.

Sometimes I wonder what the solution is for areas like ours. Should our county start a publically funded TNR program?

In the meantime people around here mostly have to TNR ferals at their own expense. I have friends who are up to 6 cats now, thanks to a feral mama cat having a litter in their barn. My friends are very caring people and are scrimping and sacrificing to get all the unexpected ferals TNR'ed.

But not everybody can do that. So the tragic saga of too many cats and too few homes continues.

Last edited:

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
TNR and low-cost spay neuter is the only way to reduce the pet overpopulation, because there are only so many adopters. In our area we are lucky to have a woman who started a mobile spay-neuter clinic. She is very smart, constantly busy with fund raising / applying for grants. With the money that comes from her brain and dedication the clinic can offer cat spays and neuters for $20 and $10 for low-income residents (proof required) and feral and strays for free. The clinic has been operating for 2 or 3 years and the results are already obvious. The local shelter reported the lowest kitten numbers ever this year. Also general shelter intake went down.

This smart woman was looking for someone to start a TNR program. I didn´t want to be in charge, but there was nobody else. Someone has to do it, so I rolled up my sleeves and a year later I´ve TNRed over 400 cats. Just found a new volunteer to take over the foster program, that I somehow got stuck with too. I think we have fostered and adopted out about 50 feral baby graduates. It´s growing and word gets around and meanwhile I get calls almost daily from people asking for TNR assistance. Our smart lady boss just applied for a TNR grant, a big one... that would get us going for a few years.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our rural area was terribly anti-cat for a long time.  Feral cats were automatically put down by the shelter and stray cats didn't fare much better.  Their cat kill rate was around 98% for many, many years.  It has improved somewhat because several groups started advocated for TNR.

At least the powers-that-be know about it now, although it is still an uphill struggle.  There is a low cost S/N clinic in the next county (about 35 miles away) and several local people will drive cats there for gas money.  There is also a wonderful young man who will trap and then recuperate feral cats, for a small fee.

There are a also couple of PetSmart grants being used for trapping and fixing the many, many feral cats in the county.  But because the predominant attitude with too many residents is still "cats can take care of themselves," there are still too many unaltered cats outside, breeding and increasing the problem.

Our town has an ordinance that gives feral cats a fighting chance.  We have a system for registering care givers and identifying cats taken in by Animal Control.  So far, it has prevented so many cats from being scooped up and killed, even when they were ear-tipped.  It isn't perfect but it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why would Animal Control pick up ear tipped cats? Isn't the point of ear tipping to show Animal Control that they should leave the cat alone?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Why would Animal Control pick up ear tipped cats? Isn't the point of ear tipping to show Animal Control that they should leave the cat alone?
   Yes, I think that's the point.. they may do it anyway.  Now they have to check whether the cat is in the system @Ondine?

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I started volunteering at my local Humane Society, I was surprised how quickly the cats were adopted!  I had read that 70% of cats in shelters ended up being euthanized and was wondering what to expect.  It turns out that my shelter only euthanizes very sick and very aggressive cats.  Feral cats are sent to a non profit that TNR's them and adopts them out to local farmers who need mousers.  Anyways, I volunteered once a week and very rarely saw the same cat twice because they were adopted so quickly!  The Humane Society is also paid by the city to take in strays.  After a certain amount of time of being unclaimed, the strays become property of the Humane Society and are vetted, socialized, and adopted out.  

When I took in Kyubi to the vet for his shots, the vet scanned him for a microchip because I told them he was a stray.  So I'm guessing that is the norm here, or at least at my vet.  

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I started volunteering at my local Humane Society, I was surprised how quickly the cats were adopted!  I had read that 70% of cats in shelters ended up being euthanized and was wondering what to expect.  It turns out that my shelter only euthanizes very sick and very aggressive cats.  Feral cats are sent to a non profit that TNR's them and adopts them out to local farmers who need mousers.  Anyways, I volunteered once a week and very rarely saw the same cat twice because they were adopted so quickly!  The Humane Society is also paid by the city to take in strays.  After a certain amount of time of being unclaimed, the strays become property of the Humane Society and are vetted, socialized, and adopted out.  

When I took in Kyubi to the vet for his shots, the vet scanned him for a microchip because I told them he was a stray.  So I'm guessing that is the norm here, or at least at my vet.  
You live in cat heaven!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
   Yes, I think that's the point.. they may do it anyway.  Now they have to check whether the cat is in the system @Ondine
?
The ACO in our town basically leaves the cats alone now. He'll only get involved if there are complants and often, can help resolve them without picking up the cat. He has worked with the care givers to make sure any cats he does have to trap have a chance at a new home. Doesn't always work but he tries.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You live in cat heaven!
I live in a college town (medium sized city, not rural), so I don't know if that has anything to deal with it.  We also have a vet school here. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I live in a college town (medium sized city, not rural), so I don't know if that has anything to deal with it.  We also have a vet school here. 
What ever the reason, your town and humane society sound WAY ahead of the curve.  They could teach a lot of people some things.  I wish our local shelter would get with the program.  *sigh*

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy4strays

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, your area sounds really awesome!

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks!  I didn't realize how different it was from other places.  I'll go appreciate it more.