Shedding Season?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is it considered shedding season?

Usually if I furminate once a week or every other week for Wesley, he's pretty good on shedding.

Lately though, there's hair everywhere even when petting him. The temperature in the house is always 75oC at least for the last few months.

Getting really tough to vacuum and dust enough to keep up with him, but Buttercup doesn't seem to really be shedding at all. Is it just that season, or is it perhaps my recent change in wet food (now eating much more Innova and Evolve since its cheap) that's making the difference?

PS: Wesley has dry heaved in the past, and I've given him some malt jelly and that was that. First time ever though he's puked up a hairball, and a big one at that!!! Super gross, but another sign he's shedding a lot.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely shedding season now. X__X
My cat Finally stopped shedding like it was going out of style a couple weeks ago. Before that, the fur was just flying everywhere. When he slept on my bed he would leave fur circles behind. ;___;

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it continues into fall/winter.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shedding season happens twice a year - the first starts a few weeks after winter solstice and the second a few weeks after summer solstice, with both sheds occurring well before the equinox. Shedding is a response to light, not temperature although cold will lengthen a coat in some species and heat may thin a coat. A few animals do not shed: sheep with the exception of hair sheep. some goat breeds, and some dog breeds with corded coats including poodles.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dorothy seems to think it's always shedding season!

I have noticed Genever shedding more than normal in the past month (still nowhere near as much as Dot though), and she hacked up a few hairballs too, so we've been giving her Laxatone again every few days.

milu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

Shedding season happens twice a year - the first starts a few weeks after winter solstice and the second a few weeks after summer solstice, with both sheds occurring well before the equinox. Shedding is a response to light, not temperature although cold will lengthen a coat in some species and heat may thin a coat.
Huh, that is so interesting. I did not know that.

My dog is definitely shedding right now, major butt-fluff! It's always around this time of the year. I don't really notice Minka shedding more, and Lulu's just new but not shedding much right now either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool, thanks all! I'll just stick w/ the routine and perhaps start using the lint roller on Wesley more often.

He does love it as a roller massage after all, heh!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lint roller, that's an idea... Dorothy hates to be brushed, but maybe I could get away with a roll or 2! BF's started combing her everyday though, one comb's worth of hair, and he lets her go. Hopefully she'll eventually get used to it and we can move to a brush, and several brush-fulls per session. I swear, everyday I sweep the floors and everyday it seems I get a whole Dot's worth of hair!

tashaam

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitteh Truffles seems to love shedding in the summer also, I will get 5-6 brush fulls of fur out of her and she's still giving me endless amounts of fur! It's kind of bothersome and icky having all this fur fly off her when I pet her but it only happens in the summer I find.

One of the other hand, my little guy Peeko tends to shed more in the winter, and he HATES brushing - never lets us do it - so he's just a walking ball of fur ready to make anything in his path orange

You should just continue with daily brushing and see if it slows down come the change of seasons