Shed Ideas For Neighbourhood Strays

summerazura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, so I have a few strays that have been frequenting the area and naturally I'm worried about them in the winter. I can't bring any of them in, and I haven't had any luck getting help from rescues (and now suspect one of the females might be pregnant). I have a shed in my backyard that I swept out and rearranged some things so it's neater in there, it's raised off the ground by cinder blocks so it's not AS cold in there. I put three beds in there, used some old litter boxes stuffed with hay and I do put food in there for the cats. I'm just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what more I could do to make it a good space for the cats to keep as warm as possible? I thought about putting a heater but I have the bbq in there. I can take pics if that will help.

Lisaloowho

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there.

I have 10 feral, and stray kitties I care for, and what I do is just get two Rubbermaid tubs. I use the 30 gallon and the 45 gallon I think. It cost about 20$ per shelter. You line the bottom of the bigger tub with straw (try to use straw instead of hay if you can because hay will mold when wet) I don't know if you have a tractor supply store in your area, but if you do they sell 50 lb straw bales for only 10$. Once you line the bottom of the bigger tub with straw sit the smaller tub inside of it and stuff as much straw as you can in between the walls on the two tubs. Then put straw inside the small tub for the cat to burrow in, and put the lid on. Then Cover the top in straw and put the bigger lid over top of it all. I usually stuff it so full of straw i have to tape it closed and sit cinder blocks on it lol. Here's a link for more clear instructions Building Winter Shelters for Community Cats - Alley Cat Advocates | Trap-Neuter-Release and Volunteer Services for Greater Louisville, KY